Confused about losing the unlimited plan

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by njdevil, Feb 5, 2014.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    Very true.

When VZW ended the eligible subsidy, they basically raised the price on unlimited users $10+ per month. For people who don't use much data, like me and you, we are actually overpaying. So in reality there's not a huge incentive for VZW to kill unlimited when the remaining unlimiteds are small and probably 80% of them are very average data users overpaying for "piece of mind".

Now if they continue to entice people like you off unlimited, to the point where there are only a few hundred thousand unlimiteds left (a.k.a. "the data hogs")...THEN they might cut bait. However, in reality 200k "data hogs" would have to average over 100gigs/mo to make an appreciable dent in capacity, and that's ignoring how quickly bandwidth is expanding.

And 200k "data hogs" is probably an EXTREMELY generous number, in terms of how many people routinely go over 20gigs/mo.

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,309
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    No, I think you misunderstood. The trade in was an old phone just sitting around. As for giving up unlimited I was not suggesting that. I still have unlimited. The only way to keep it in the examples above are to activate a new basic line and do the Edge plan or upgrade an existing basic line and move it over (what I did).

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    OK, I think I understand.

Been debating canceling voice and using my unlimited for a tablet, and then getting one of the new plans for phone (1gigs could be sufficient for me). Not sure if I can cancel voice or not, though.

Then I can turn in my OG Droid for $100 - wait, it makes a handy alarm clock....but I have a few old flip phones laying around :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,309
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    No, I don't think you can drop voice in your example. And for the trade it must be a smart phone. Sorry!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

5. repolybbob@gmail.com

Ratings:
    +2
    I second the Max Plan

Well, I haven't used a Verizon upgrade the last couple of times, because I didn't want to lose the good 'ol Unlimited Data plan.

But recently, I found out about the 6GB Max Plan. Since I only use about 2.5 GB / month, I decided that the 6GB will be fine for me for a long time, so I took advantage of the upgrade and stepped away from the unlimited plan.

~Bob

• Like Like x 2
  6. tommyg562000

tommyg562000 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I was thinking of jumping to the Max plan since I don't use much more that 2 GB's a month. Did you just have to mention it to the rep and they gave it to you or did you have to talk them into it?

7. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +311
    You have to mention it to the rep that you are coming off a unlimited account and want the max 6 gig plan, and check your invoices afterwards.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +859
    The Edge program wouldn't be bad for me, as I gain unlimited voice and text. But most of my texts go thru Google Voice, and so I only pay $70/mo for my plan....until they offer me a plan with at least 2gigs of data for $70 it makes no sense for me to change. Even if I have to buy phones full retail, I save at least $10-$20/mo on my current plan.

9. Red Droid

Red Droid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    In your case, that Makes Sense. There Are Different Ways To Keep A Newer Phone And be able To Continue On An Unlimited Plan..

I Just Don't Want To See People Loose Unlimited AND Spend Too Much Money On A New Phone.

(Sorry About The Caps, Keyboard Or Tablet Is A Little Confused...)\

10. Red Droid

Red Droid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I am under the same impression. They did away with Unlimited Data on July 6th, 2011. the 2 year contracts would have expired last year.

I do remember the 3G Unlimited going away (I had an air card for years). However, that was to push everyone toward 4G LTE. No extra cost per month and we still had Unlimited data, only now it was on a 4G LTE device.

11. Red Droid

Red Droid Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone reached the end of a 2yr contract with the 6GB max plan? Will it revert to 2GB, or remain 6GB as a Grandfathered line?

I'm genuinely curious about this. I've seen reports both ways.

12. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +4,884
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    The max plan is less than a year old. Nobody will know but you'll probably be grandfathered like the unlimited data is now.

Search tags for this page
activate a droid maxx without losing unlimited
grandfathered verizon plan i want a galaxy note 3
verizon edge keep unlimited data
verizon ending grandfathered unlimited data
verizon ending unlimited data 2014
verizon keep unlimited data htc rezound
verizon max plan

verizon unlimited data

verizon unlimited data grandfathered 6gb
verizon unlimited data june 2014