Confused about losing the unlimited plan

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
You have to mention it to the rep that you are coming off a unlimited account and want the max 6 gig plan, and check your invoices afterwards.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Edge program wouldn't be bad for me, as I gain unlimited voice and text. But most of my texts go thru Google Voice, and so I only pay $70/mo for my plan....until they offer me a plan with at least 2gigs of data for $70 it makes no sense for me to change. Even if I have to buy phones full retail, I save at least $10-$20/mo on my current plan.

Red Droid

Reaction score
First, let's give you one important distinction between me and the examples above. In my case, there was an existing dummy phone that was already costing me $10 per month. All I did was do the Edge on that phone, then move it to my line. So for me, there is no added $10 per month, or $120 per year. But in my case, there was also a phone trade in and an activation fee waiver. Let's forget the tax in each example...it's a wash either way.

So, let's go over the math above in my scenario...and let's not forget two very important parts. First if you trade in a working phone on an upgrade (they MAY also do this for new activations but I don't know and so I am assuming no) - no matter how old it is (I traded a Droid Pro), they give you $100. That phone wasn't worth $10. So I figure I did OK there. Then there was the activation fee waiver - another $35. So before I've even signed the agreement I'm up $135.

Then, the cost... for my Droid MAXX, it's $20.83 per month (see my bill below)

View attachment 69946

This takes into consideration the $100 up front for the trade, otherwise it would have been $25 as in the examples above). I pay this $20.83 per month for 12 months, at which time I can turn the phone in and pay nothing, then start all over again with a brand new phone. After that first 12 months, I've paid $249.96...but wait...I got the activation fee waiver (remember?), so in all actuality I only paid $214.96 for the 12 months, or $17.92 per month!

$20.83 * 12 = $249.96 - $35 = 214.96 / 12 = $17.92 per month net (and that doesn't even take into consideration time value of money or opportunity of interest cost on the difference between that and the $635 I'd have to pay up front). And I still have Unlimited Data on my phone number, and no new contract on that number...so I can walk at 12 months, give the phone back and go elsewhere if I choose.

If I bought that phone outright for $600 out of pocket (plus $35 activation), how much could I expect to get for it if I sold it one year later (given a new series of models of phones would be out then)? Well, could I expect $485? Let's say I could (yeah, right...). If so, then I am back at square one again - same place I'd be if I turned the phone in on my Edge plan. In this example the purchase outright would "appear" to be a better deal at $150 net total.

Now the major distinction here is that in the first example, I walked out of the Verizon Phone Center store without even taking my wallet out of my pocket. I paid absolutely NOTHING and was handed a brand new Droid MAXX. In fact, there was also the trade in and waiver of the activation fee - another $135 in credits to me, so really, I walked out some $135 in the black - PLUS a BRAND NEW PHONE. The other guy who paid $600 up front also paid $35 for an activation, so he's in the hole $635 before he leaves the place. He may be up by $64.96 after 12 months ($635 - $485 = $150 versus my $214.96, or a difference of $64.96...$5.41 per month for the 12 months), but I only had to meet those monthly payments and got to keep my $635 in my pocket while leaving with the same phone and the same unlimited data.

I agree that the $10 per month for adding a line is an additional cost, and since that wouldn't be an upgrade, there (probably) isn't either the $100 credit *(can anyone confirm or deny this?)... I understand they ARE waiving the $35 activation fee for new Edge palns, but in that case, the cost for the phone is $420.00 and you give it back with no equity. That isn't a great deal if you don't need the second line or don't already have a dummy line (think phone for the kids, for instance).

In your case, that Makes Sense. There Are Different Ways To Keep A Newer Phone And be able To Continue On An Unlimited Plan..

I Just Don't Want To See People Loose Unlimited AND Spend Too Much Money On A New Phone.

(Sorry About The Caps, Keyboard Or Tablet Is A Little Confused...)\

Red Droid

Reaction score
Anyway, as has kind of been mentioned, rumors pop-up about every 3 months (going on 3+ years) that VZW will be ending unlimited data shortly. The June cut-off is pure speculation based on some backdoor extrapolation of the last eligible upgrades (which I thought was LAST July, actually).

As far as I know, VZW has rarely, if ever, NOT honored grandfathered contracts. There have been numerous promotions and incentives/disincentives to entice/push people off unlimited, which seems to be the direction they have chosen rather than just take it away. They are managing their risk (network capacity) by enticing people off unlimited, and I suspect the number of remaining users with unlimited is already small enough not to be of much concern.

I mean, c'mon, they even let people SELL[transfer] their unlimited plans!!! PLUS they have essentially a "data hog" clause in their TOS which they could use to boot-off the really heavy users, and that's a hammer they haven't used despite all the crying and ruckus about "ending unlimited". I don't expect unlimited to go anywhere for at least 2+ years until VoLTE is rolled-out nationwide. Even then, you will probably be able to keep your unlimited data in the event they don't offer VoLTE for those grandfathered unlimited plans.

Worst case scenario: you buy a new phone retail and a month later VZW ends unlimited. You could still get probably 80%+ of what you paid for the phone on EBAY/Swappa. Alternatively, you could then just sign a new contract, take the subsidized upgrade, and flip it new-in-the-box for $50-$100 below retail. So your risk isn't $600+, it's probably less than $100 in the worst-case.

I am under the same impression. They did away with Unlimited Data on July 6th, 2011. the 2 year contracts would have expired last year.

I do remember the 3G Unlimited going away (I had an air card for years). However, that was to push everyone toward 4G LTE. No extra cost per month and we still had Unlimited data, only now it was on a 4G LTE device.

Red Droid

Reaction score
Well, I haven't used a Verizon upgrade the last couple of times, because I didn't want to lose the good 'ol Unlimited Data plan.

But recently, I found out about the 6GB Max Plan. Since I only use about 2.5 GB / month, I decided that the 6GB will be fine for me for a long time, so I took advantage of the upgrade and stepped away from the unlimited plan.

~Bob

Has anyone reached the end of a 2yr contract with the 6GB max plan? Will it revert to 2GB, or remain 6GB as a Grandfathered line?

I'm genuinely curious about this. I've seen reports both ways.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Has anyone reached the end of a 2yr contract with the 6GB max plan? Will it revert to 2GB, or remain 6GB as a Grandfathered line?

I'm genuinely curious about this. I've seen reports both ways.

The max plan is less than a year old. Nobody will know but you'll probably be grandfathered like the unlimited data is now.

TatDroid

Reaction score
They did away with Unlimited Data on July 6th, 2011. the 2 year contracts would have expired last year.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the last line on my family plan that was upgraded to a standard 2 year contract with unlimited data doesn't expire until June 2014.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the last line on my family plan that was upgraded to a standard 2 year contract with unlimited data doesn't expire until June 2014.

11/11/11 when the Droid RAZR debut, unlimited was still intact.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

mikeinctown

Reaction score
First, unlimited date was done away with in 2012. I got my phone November 2011 and have been off contract and still unlimited since November 2013.

Second, I am trying to decide how the math works out on all these plans. I currently use about 4 gigs a month of data as I stream Sirius at work. I pay $83 a month including a 16% discount and taxes totalling approx $7 a month. I have 450 minutes and unlimited text and data. My Rezound has been giving me problems and I'm unsure if it is the phone or battery.

I have three choices:

buy new S4 phone at $500 plus tax and keep my unlimited plan. That would add about $21 a month to my cell costs based on a 24 month life span of the phone. Total monthly $104

Enter into new service agreement with 4 gigs internet. Phone is $99 up front and plan with 4 gigs service is $110 - 16% =$92.40 plus the $7 in taxes = $99.40 plus $4 for the phone cost spreadover a 24 month period. $103.40 a month.

Edge plan with 4 gigs is $100 a month plus $20 for the phone monthly. With 16% discount on the plan, I am at $84 plus $7 tax = $91 plus the $20 for the phone. = $111 a month.

Now, all three plans are within a few dollars of each other. if I choose to keep my plan i am still limited to 450 minutes of peak time but I get unlimited date. (never used more than 5 gigs though in any one month) I also do not use my wifi connection at all with the phone as I am on unlimited plan. I take the risk of spending $500 of my own money now PLUS the risk of VZW cancelling my monthly plan at any time.

If I go with the service contract and just buy the $99 phone then I am out the $99 up front and locked into a 2 year contract with the same phone. i'm limited to 4 gigs data but also gain unlimited calling.

If I go with the edge plan I am out about $8 a month additional, only get 4 gigs data and locked into the 24 month agreement. However, I gain unlimited voice, no up front out of pocket, and the ability to get myself the latest and greatest in a year instead of two years.

Right now I am looking at going with the edge plan as to me it seems to make the most sense. if I can get more info on this MAX plan then tat may solve all my worries and I'll have gained unlimited voice with really no downside expect being locked into another contract. as I have been with VZW for the last 4 1/2 years, i think I can manage another 2.

What would you guys do?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I personally would just do the Max plan and get 6gb/month and get the subsidized phone, but that's just me. I use about 2gb/month and had to switch to the Share plan because I sell Verizon, and went with 4gb just to cover myself. I didn't need unlimited, and I wasn't going to shell out $600 for my phone

Sent from my Droid Maxx

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you tried rooting your Rezound and flashing some new roms? Also if you've had it since Nov 2011 it is almost certainly time for a new battery. I just had to replace mine (and I'm not a heavy user - just charge overnight is good for me for the day) with the Laza extended battery...which is AMAZING battery life by the way.

VZW just came out with a $60 2gig plan (unlimited talk and text) that is VERY tempting...$10 cheaper than my current plan AND I get a subsidized phone. But until there's actually a phone I want or need I'm going to wait them out to see if better offers come along.

On the other hand, if I really cared about $10/mo I would cut the chord, drop home broadband, and abuse the beejezus out of my unlimited plan.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
kodiak, yes at one time I had rooted it. When the phone was new and the updates OTA were unknown, there were places you could flash the update from using your SH card. Since then, I have not touched a thing on the phone other than installing a LAZA battery last March. In fact, i think it may just be the battery causing me issues. Lately when I charge it, the battery starts swelling and the back cover starts popping off. I lose connection.

The other problem is that the phone is acting like the middle of the touch screen is being touched even when it is not. Applications will open and menus will pop up. occasionally, I will touch the menu buttons at the bottom and the phone will be unresponsive. I wonder if the battery has something to do with it. I found my OE battery last night and installed it and the OE cover and am seeing if anything changes.

As far as VZW goes, I now say screw them. I ran the numbers again and they don't give you the discount on the phone portion of the bill, only the data. This means my bill would be more than $10 higher a month plus the $20 for the phone. I'd rather just buy a phone off craigslist and keep my plan. (If you like your plan you can keep it... LOL)

now to figure out how to get a proper non stolen phone I'll be happy. I'm thinking that the only way would be to meet the person at a VZW location and work out the transaction as the phone gets activated.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon is not forcing anyone to buy a subsidized phone "if you decide that's the way you want to go, then you will have to sign a new contract" , you pay for the phone outright, be it craigslist, eBay, you're friend, swappa, or any other venue, you get to keep your unlimited, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

B-Unit

Reaction score
11/11/11 when the Droid RAZR debut, unlimited was still intact.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

As were contract renewals/upgrades with grandfathered unlimited in Feb 2012 when Droid 4 launched. I believe the last of the grandfathered upgrades were allowed in June/July of 2012.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I believe the last of the grandfathered upgrades were allowed in June/July of 2012.
Yes. I keep saying that the contract on the last unlimited line on my family plan doesn't run out until June 2014, which means it was still available in June of 2012, but people still keep trying to say that unlimited ended sometime in 2011. *facepalm*