Confused about losing the unlimited plan

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Unlimited was officially taken away from those grandfathered into it on June 28th, 2012.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Natey2

Reaction score
I was a Verizon customer from 8/2010 to 10/2013 (unlimited data plan). I was not given the choice of continuing with that unlimited data plan if I wanted a 4G/LTE device, so I switched to T-Mobile, where I currently have an unlimited data plan with a 4G/LTE device.
I have nothing against Verizon (they are a good Carrier in many ways), but I really wanted 4G/LTE, and especially this kind of T-Mobile 4G/LTE speed -
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/768642687

And I am paying T-Mobile today the same amount as I paid Verizon in 2010.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I was a Verizon customer from 8/2010 to 10/2013 (unlimited data plan). I was not given the choice of continuing with that unlimited data plan if I wanted a 4G/LTE device, so I switched to T-Mobile, where I currently have an unlimited data plan with a 4G/LTE device.
I have nothing against Verizon (they are a good Carrier in many ways), but I really wanted 4G/LTE, and especially this kind of T-Mobile 4G/LTE speed -
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

And I am paying T-Mobile today the same amount as I paid Verizon in 2010.

**You weren't allowed to keep your unlimited data plan with a subsidized rated phone. You could have upgraded another line and put it on your main # or bought it retail.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Those grandfathered unlimited data plans are not going anywhere, unless Verizon is planning on loosing a boat load of customers. And no one is forcing you to buy a brand new phone at full price, go to www.swappa.com , there you can find hardly used top of the line phones at a fraction of the cost of buying retail, from Note3 to galaxy S4 to S3 to iPhone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I stopped reading somewhere around page 3.
To the OP: get a used phone on Swappa or pay full price for the phone.
Period.
Next question? :D

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
To Natey2, Verizon did not force you to go with their new plans, since you wanted a subsidized phone at a fraction of the cost of said device at retail cost you had to go with their new plans, you could have and still can keep your unlimited data plan by buying said device on the open market be it used or brand spanking new and keep your unlimited data plan, but you decided on a brand new subsidized phone, and that is how Verizon was able to get you to sign their new data plans, and get you off the unlimited data plan. There is no hidden agenda on Verizon's part like some people make it out to be.

Natey2

Reaction score
Don't know what you guys mean by "subsidized" phone... I paid $99 down, and pay $21/month for 24 months to T-Mobile for my S4. Is that considered a subsidized phone? If Verizon could have done something similar...

THESHADOW1937

Reaction score
For all those unhappy with 'The Big Red' this rhyme's for yoy come Thursday

Spring has sprung
The grass is rise N
Is it time to break
Your contract with Verizon?

THESHADOW1937

Reaction score
A few subsidized phone is where u pay a reduced price for a phone and r locked into a two year contract, however after the contract ends your payments stay the same. Now thebother carriers are following T-Mobile with plans such as ATT NEXT and Verizon EDGE where when you pay off the phone the monthly rate drops.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Don't know what you guys mean by "subsidized" phone... I paid $99 down, and pay $21/month for 24 months to T-Mobile for my S4. Is that considered a subsidized phone? If Verizon could have done something similar...

That isn't a subsidized phone. You are paying for the phone in installments. That is similar to the Verizon Edge plan, which BTW you cannot use and keep your unlimited plan with.

A subsidized phone is one in which you pay $1, or $49, $99, or $199 whatever for and then you just pay your normal monthly rate and are locked in to a 2 year contract without an upgrade option until at least month 18. VZW is basically giving you a $500 phone for $100 or whatever and then "subsidizing" the remainder of the cost through your contracted monthly rate.

My issue with cell phones is the pricing. A cell phone new costs more than a brand new laptop with all the bells and whistles, software, etc. I also believe that they price fix the phones as well since one cannot go into Costco, Best Buy, or order one from amazon for any less than they could buy one straight from Verizon for. Additionally, phones that work on the Verizon network are typically more expensive than are normal GSM type phones. IRC the Google phones could be had for somewhere like $300 but if you wanted one that worked on verizon's network then it would cost you $600. BS.

grizzy3

Reaction score
Not sure where all this "unlimited data contracts expire..." is coming from. You can easily keep your unlimited data contracts going. I have 4 people in my plan, 3 smart phones and 1 dumb phone on the nationwide plan. I use the dumb phone line to upgrade then just transfer the phone to the unlimited line. When you do that, it extends your unlimited data contract. So the theory that Verizon will do away with Unlimited altogether because the last plan expires on a certain date is completely false. Yeah, Verizon might do away with them at any point, but it won't be for that reason since that's not the case.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...So the theory that Verizon will do away with Unlimited altogether because the last plan expires on a certain date is completely false. Yeah, Verizon might do away with them at any point, but it won't be for that reason since that's not the case.

There has never been any indication that VZW would just "kick-off" people from unlimited, nor is such action consistent with past practice of honoring most, if not all, grandfathered plans indefinitely.

The two facts that really fly in the face of "ending unlimited" are pretty big ones:
1) VZW still allows the sale/transfer of unlimited plans (despite not even technically being a plan but an option to renew each month)
2) VZW still has never done anything to the people tethering and racking up 100gigs or more a month, despite having many options under the TOS up to and including termination of the "contract".

Natey2

Reaction score
That isn't a subsidized phone. You are paying for the phone in installments. That is similar to the Verizon Edge plan, which BTW you cannot use and keep your unlimited plan with.

Yes, I recall that VZW Edge plan. And they only offered me a 6GB limit. I don't recall ever using more than 5GB, but wanted unlimited just to be safe. I probably would not have added a second line anyway just to keep that unlimited VZW plan, so when T-Mobile gave me unlimited everything for the same price I was paying VZW, I just jumped at it. I gotta have 4G these days... 3G just doesn't cut it.

What's the 4G/LTE speed on VZW like?

grizzy3

Reaction score
There has never been any indication that VZW would just "kick-off" people from unlimited, nor is such action consistent with past practice of honoring most, if not all, grandfathered plans indefinitely.

The two facts that really fly in the face of "ending unlimited" are pretty big ones:
1) VZW still allows the sale/transfer of unlimited plans (despite not even technically being a plan but an option to renew each month)
2) VZW still has never done anything to the people tethering and racking up 100gigs or more a month, despite having many options under the TOS up to and including termination of the "contract".

Just cuz they haven't yet, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just cuz they haven't yet, doesn't mean they won't in the future.

The points I mention above, along with a history of honoring grandfathered contracts into perpetuity, strongly suggests unlimited is going nowhere any time soon.