Cease and Desist

evil_O

Reaction score
Why is it now that I have seen two (there may be more) reports of Cease and Desist letters going out to our application developers?

Check out Beautiful Widget in the Market. He has received his C&D letter from HTC and he has recommended you back the app up if you want to keep it. He will stop updates/production any day now.

There was also another from Google itself to another developer!

WTF?!?! Open platform?.... my a$$
:mad:

reggin

Reaction score
Just because it's an open platform doesn't mean devs can rip off (port) applications to another phone. It's called Intellectual Property Rights and is against the law to steal someones property.

Let me further clarify. The HTC devs, who work for HTC, developed the widget for the HTC Android phones. It is the property of HTC, get it?

Last edited:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get how you feel about this, but there are laws in place and that's it. I'm going to leave this thread open (against my better judgement) for an open discussion. Please keep it "family friendly" and on topic. Thanks

texasPI

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is a David vs Goliath like thing but it is a clear cut issue. It sucks, I have this app myself but he'll just have to redo them and I'm sure he'll be back in business.

EDIT: By clear cut I mean that it's not worth his time or expense, in my opinion, to fight it. Just change it and make it better then when HTC steals your idea, then sue them! :icon_ banana: Just copyright, trademark whatever.

Last edited:
OP
evil_O

evil_O

Reaction score
Just because it's an open platform doesn't mean devs can rip off (port) applications to another phone. It's called Intellectual Property Rights and is against the law to steal someones property.

Let me further clarify. The HTC devs, who work for HTC, developed the widget for the HTC Android phones. It is the property of HTC, get it?

Just because it looks like HTC doesn't mean it is. Heck, there are a lot of things about the Droid that look like the iPhone but it isn't. I am sure there are some internal workings that I don't understand - that is a given. I do have a hard time believing the Dev for Beautiful Widgets, via open market, attempted to rip off HTC.

I think this is a case of HTC (and various others) exercising power and control. It may or may not belong to HTC... but does the Dev of BW have the money to fight 'em? Right or wrong? I doubt it.

Just my thoughts. Especially considering we are losing a great app.

OP
evil_O

evil_O

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is a David vs Goliath like thing but it is a clear cut issue. It sucks, I have this app myself but he'll just have to redo them and I'm sure he'll be back in business.

I feel the same way....

blue

Reaction score
I just guessing. But I think part of it is because they are charging customers. I bet if they weren't charging, they may have been over looked.

reggin

Reaction score
So how are the devs who create ROMs that port Sense UI not getting into trouble?

Ah, now this is grey area. Sense UI is not offered on the market if I'm not mistaken. It's like a little black market for ported ROMs to have such things as rooting, etc. Not sure HTC can or would do anything about it.

Chris1

Reaction score
Kind of a gray area don't you think - I could think of other apps that do the same (won't name and shame) but got no C&D.

Papasmurf

Reaction score
I just guessing. But I think part of it is because they are charging customers. I bet if they weren't charging, they may have been over looked.

I have to agree with this. If it were free I don't believe they would care.

Chris1

Reaction score
so does anyone know did they steal the graphics or just copy them?

reggin

Reaction score
so does anyone know did they steal the graphics or just copy them?

If they stole, it's illegal. If they copied, they didn't get permission.

Intellectual property law is very strict. Remember a few years back when Creative sued Apple over the iPhones use of sequential menus? No? Well, Creative won a 100 million dollar settlement from Apple for 'copying' the Creative menu style.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
does this me Weather Widget will be gone as well? If Beautiful is gone then Weather is the only other option... but it's similar.