should we be worried about this?

evilsock

Reaction score
taken from AndroidSPIN | You heard it here, first, on AndroidSPIN. Your No.1 source for Android news.

Google hits yet another leading Android Developer…
POSTED BY JASON 'TERMY' WINSTANLEY ON 02 05 2010

Well, not literally, but you get the gist of the statement…
Today, Android ROM Developer eugene373 received an e-mail from the Google Trademark Enforcement Team, regarding the use of Google’s Closed Source. This is the second C&D that I have heard of regarding the Google Closed Source, the first being Cyanogen.
Eugene373 provided a full copy of the Cease and Desist e-mail (which, in my opinion, is a modern way to handle them) for all to see over at Pastebin, and we have provided it for you, after the short break.As promised, the full Cease and Desist e-mail, posted from Euguene373’s Twitter:
Date: Thur, Feb 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Subject: Google Closed Source
To: Eugene373's E-mail
Dear Sir/Madam:
It has come to our attention that you are using the GOOGLE Closed Source without our express written permission. Please note that we allow use of our Applications only if we have granted express written permission; see Google Permissions. Such unauthorized use constitutes trademark infringement and unfair competition under both federal and state laws. It misleads consumers into believing that some association exists between you and Google; and it weakens the ability of the GOOGLE mark and name to identify a single source, namely, Google.
In the hope that these events have resulted from your inadvertence rather than your deliberate actions, we ask that you contact us within seven calendar days of receiving this email message, and confirm that you will:
1. Cease and desist any further use of the GOOGLE mark and/or logos on your website and any solicitations, packaging, marketing, or other materials without our express written consent.
2. Take commercially reasonable measures to limit the unauthorized use of the GOOGLE mark and/or logos on materials that have already been created.
3. Agree not to use any trademarks owned by Google (including the Google logo) without the advance written consent of Google.
Sincerely,
The Google Trademark Enforcement Team

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
isnt that the second dev they sent this to? i heard cyanogen got one to? would that not mean us rooted people would have to go stock if they made all people hacking and posting roms stop posting?
or am i just misreading the whole thing?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cause we might not be able to use anymore cool ROMs developed by these talented guys if they do this to all of them...

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
fudge thats what i thought....crossing fingers, maybe if they give google a slice and do what sholes did and put up an app they will simmer down

joshua117

Reaction score
Cause we might not be able to use anymore cool ROMs developed by these talented guys if they do this to all of them...

I wouldn't worry too much, even if that's the case look at apple (i'm simply using them as an example due to the fact they are the most anal and controlling company i know of when it comes to this kinda thing) they are very much against jail broken ipods but there not much they can due about it. there will always be a way. :icon_cool:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah that might help matters smooth out if all of them did that with the Market...

JFDroid

Reaction score
Yeah that might help matters smooth out if all of them did that with the Market...

We have some incredibly smart people in this community. While Google can and probably will exert a lot of control over its products and services, there are things I think that they truly can't control. The reach of their massive, multi-billion arm has yet to be completely tested, but I think they will be a bit more controlling as competition with Apple & the iPhone heats up.

I think we're starting to see just the tip of the iceberg with the Nexus One and Droid Google Maps version 3.4 multitouch updates coming through. I expect Google to really turn up the heat.

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
i bought the app just to support sholes but if it means supporting google letting all of them do what they do, im all for that too

nyijedi

Reaction score
FWIW, I was an avid cyanogen user with my old G1 when he received his C&D. Basically, Cyanogen had to rework his roms so that users would first download the official rom released by Google, and then install his roms OVER the official Google rom. This allowed him to release roms that did not contain Google's closed source apps, and thus, made it completely legal. Worst case scenario, devs for the Droid would have to do something similar to this.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, I was an avid cyanogen user with my old G1 when he received his C&D. Basically, Cyanogen had to rework his roms so that users would first download the official rom released by Google, and then install his roms OVER the official Google rom. This allowed him to release roms that did not contain Google's closed source apps, and thus, made it completely legal. Worst case scenario, devs for the Droid would have to do something similar to this.
Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Considering Android is an open source project and built open an open source foundation I am not surprised it is fake. The only way they would send out a C&D would be if the dev was claiming it was google official, selling it, or somehow using it to smear googles reputation in some way. Otherwise the devs are all helping google a LOT more than hurting...they are making people really interested in Android and exposure at this point is the most important thing to google.

Now if someone decided to start selling a phone with Android that was not officially licensed yes they would get shut down pretty quickly....not for custom roms tho.

In the case of cynogen I'm guessing the stock apps were altered in some way that did in fact infringe on copyrights (internal apps are not open source...only the frameworks).