[Updated] CarrierIQ Drama: Verizon Again Denies That Any of Its Phones Have CarrierIQ

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 1, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

For those few who have not read anything about the CarrierIQ drama going on in the mobile-tech industry, here is a brief summation: the bottom line is that a security researcher at XDA, Trevor Eckhart (TrevE), found what is basically tracking software loaded at the kernel level on devices by HTC, Samsung, and others (it may even be in Apple's iOS). The software is from a company called CarrierIQ. He shared his findings with the mobile community. After he did that, the company CarrierIQ, threatened him with a "cease and desist" legal action letter. They claimed copyright infringement (related to his reposting of their public available training materials), then demanded he replace his post with a full retraction and issue the same retraction as a press release.

[​IMG]

Eckhart didn't back down from their baseless threats, and called the software a rootkit (basically malware). He retained EFF as legal counsel, and shortly after that, CarrierIQ retracted their cease and desist letter. They backpedaled, and insisted that they don't track Android users. Since then, a number of companies have come forward claiming that some or all of their devices do not have CarrierIQ software on them, including RIM, and Nokia. Other unnamed sources came forward indicating that certain devices do not carry the software, including Google Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Xoom.

Ultimately, Verizon has thrown their hat into the ring recently denying that any of their phones come with the CarrierIQ software. In fact, they wanted to make things so clear, they reiterated it. They first came out last week indicating that they don't use the software, and now they have tweeted it yet again.

From what is known, it appears to be more of a carrier issue, than a manufacturer issue, but this has not been completely confirmed. It's ironic that CarrierIQ would try to deny these claims, when their own marketing material (pictured above) basically says that their software tracks users.

Update: Apparently, even the U.S. Government has taken notice of this issue with Carrier IQ. Senator Al Franken, Chairman of the Senate's subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and Law is reportedly investigating this, and has asked many of the same questions that the community has been asking CarrierIQ. In fact, he has "requested" that they answer his questions by December 14. Perhaps he can get some honest answers from them. Update Source: TheVerge

Thanks for the tips, ilikemoneygreen!

Source: TheVerge: (1) & (2) and Twitter - VZW, Jeffrey Nelson

#1 dgstorm, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +18
    With the senator asking questions.....out comes the shredders. :biggrin:

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
  4. ilikemoneygreen

Ratings:
    +18
    I wonder if i can install carrier iq on my phone to test out this app. im not that commited. :biggrin: i know my d1 doesn't have it.

5. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +63
    As long as I know the Bionic doesn't have it, I'm good.

6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hmmm, anyone else want to put on some tin foil and wonder if THIS is why there is such a push for locked bootloaders? As soon as you load up a custom kernel, your out of the CarrierIQ 'system'.

7. zinethar

zinethar Senior Member

Ratings:
    +148
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Hmmm. Verizon is likely telling the truth - they do not have Carrier IQ on their phones. What they DID NOT say was that they did not have a similar (or renamed) product installed :)

8. Padawan

Padawan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to make sure I understand, if I want to try the CIQ app mentioned in this thread, my phone needs to be rooted?

Thanks,
    padawan

9. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Its not an 'app' its tracking software baked into the kernel. AFAIK, the only way to get it is to have a phone that has it already on.

10. jerkwad

jerkwad Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Here, I think you need one of these ;-)

View attachment 43047

11. ilikemoneygreen

Ratings:
    +18
    lol, that will definitely protect your privacy.

12. illmatic636

illmatic636 Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Finding and cleaning out your smartphone's Carrier IQ poison

Finding and cleaning out your smartphone’s Carrier IQ poison | ZDNet'm sure you guys are all aware of this, but just in case.