[Updated] CarrierIQ Drama: Verizon Again Denies That Any of Its Phones Have CarrierIQ

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-denies-carrieriq-in-tweet.PNG

For those few who have not read anything about the CarrierIQ drama going on in the mobile-tech industry, here is a brief summation: the bottom line is that a security researcher at XDA, Trevor Eckhart (TrevE), found what is basically tracking software loaded at the kernel level on devices by HTC, Samsung, and others (it may even be in Apple's iOS). The software is from a company called CarrierIQ. He shared his findings with the mobile community. After he did that, the company CarrierIQ, threatened him with a "cease and desist" legal action letter. They claimed copyright infringement (related to his reposting of their public available training materials), then demanded he replace his post with a full retraction and issue the same retraction as a press release.

CarrierIQ-marketing-material.PNG

Eckhart didn't back down from their baseless threats, and called the software a rootkit (basically malware). He retained EFF as legal counsel, and shortly after that, CarrierIQ retracted their cease and desist letter. They backpedaled, and insisted that they don't track Android users. Since then, a number of companies have come forward claiming that some or all of their devices do not have CarrierIQ software on them, including RIM, and Nokia. Other unnamed sources came forward indicating that certain devices do not carry the software, including Google Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Xoom.

Ultimately, Verizon has thrown their hat into the ring recently denying that any of their phones come with the CarrierIQ software. In fact, they wanted to make things so clear, they reiterated it. They first came out last week indicating that they don't use the software, and now they have tweeted it yet again.

From what is known, it appears to be more of a carrier issue, than a manufacturer issue, but this has not been completely confirmed. It's ironic that CarrierIQ would try to deny these claims, when their own marketing material (pictured above) basically says that their software tracks users.

Update: Apparently, even the U.S. Government has taken notice of this issue with Carrier IQ. Senator Al Franken, Chairman of the Senate's subcommittee on Privacy, Technology, and Law is reportedly investigating this, and has asked many of the same questions that the community has been asking CarrierIQ. In fact, he has "requested" that they answer his questions by December 14. Perhaps he can get some honest answers from them. Update Source: TheVerge

Thanks for the tips, ilikemoneygreen!

Source: TheVerge: (1) & (2) and Twitter - VZW, Jeffrey Nelson

Last edited:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the senator asking questions.....out comes the shredders. :biggrin:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
One data point (well maybe): I installed TrevE's new app for detecting CIQ. It was written for HTC phones, but seems to work fine on my Bionic. It says I do not have CIQ on my rooted and rommed phone. You can get the app here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV|APPv7] CIQ / HTC & Google Checkin / HTC loggers / Tell HTC Info & Removal . Also, be sure to buy the $1 pro version in order to unlock some features and to support TrevE.
I wonder if i can install carrier iq on my phone to test out this app. im not that commited. :biggrin: i know my d1 doesn't have it.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
One data point (well maybe): I installed TrevE's new app for detecting CIQ. It was written for HTC phones, but seems to work fine on my Bionic. It says I do not have CIQ on my rooted and rommed phone. You can get the app here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV|APPv7] CIQ / HTC & Google Checkin / HTC loggers / Tell HTC Info & Removal . Also, be sure to buy the $1 pro version in order to unlock some features and to support TrevE.
As long as I know the Bionic doesn't have it, I'm good.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Hmmm, anyone else want to put on some tin foil and wonder if THIS is why there is such a push for locked bootloaders? As soon as you load up a custom kernel, your out of the CarrierIQ 'system'.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Hmmm. Verizon is likely telling the truth - they do not have Carrier IQ on their phones. What they DID NOT say was that they did not have a similar (or renamed) product installed :)

Padawan

Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand, if I want to try the CIQ app mentioned in this thread, my phone needs to be rooted?

Thanks,
padawan

B-Unit

Reaction score
Its not an 'app' its tracking software baked into the kernel. AFAIK, the only way to get it is to have a phone that has it already on.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Finding and cleaning out your smartphone's Carrier IQ poison

Finding and cleaning out your smartphone’s Carrier IQ poison | ZDNet'm sure you guys are all aware of this, but just in case.

jerkwad

Reaction score
lol, that will definitely protect your privacy.

it will also keep away those things called girlfriends, who are really just spies for the cell phone industry! no one is safe...

on a serious note, for people like ME who have a DX running a verizon kernel but a custom ROM, i assume those people would also be safe from this software? anyone that knows how a kernel works knows that for this to work it still requires software to access the kernels features (in this case, the intercepting of data before it is processed by the app(s) on the phone) so I assume any custom ROM would most likely have this removed? I KNOW verizon says they aren't using it, but how about those Sprint users with custom ROMS and stock kernels (assuming those exist)?

Last edited:

redwood

Reaction score
Rooted my Droid X and installed the logging test app today, no CIQ.

Ehanda

Reaction score
ok now i have to ask. i know it logs key strokes and can record calls. what about pictures? can it check if your phone is rooted? these things are all serious matters, especially the picture portion. maybe this is how some of the agencies are catching the underage sexting and pedo people using their phones.