Care to recomend your favorite ROM's and Kernels?

turdbogls

Reaction score
I am running the latest Axiom/AOKP 4.0.4 crossbread ROM with black exodus theme, and Frankos Milestone 2 kernal and finding great battery life....heavy use, LTE full time, 1.5 hours of streaming, 20 minutes phone calls, 15-20 texts, 1.5 hours of screen on time, 6.5 hours on the battery and i was still at 60% battery.

jpin321

Reaction score
Codenameandroid, and it's stock kernel are working wonderfully for me, slicker than greased butter. The devs are active on the forums @ rootzwiki at least, give it a try.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kookk

Reaction score
I've ran bb, code name, aokp m4, cm9 and now I'm on gummy

I like gummy the best. Fantastic battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

steveinil

Reaction score
Not to hijack but are the rooms in the toolbox for the gn? And the ones in rom manager premium?

eagle923

Reaction score
Not to hijack but are the rooms in the toolbox for the gn? And the ones in rom manager premium?

All of the roms that show up in JRummy's Toolbox worked on my GN that I tried. Make sure its Android 4.0x source and you are good to go. I'm not sure if any are GSM/CDMA-LTE specific, but I tried at least 4 of them and they all worked perfectly.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'd avoid downloading your ROMs from either of those. You're better off downloading it straight from the devs thread.

eagle923

Reaction score
I'd avoid downloading your ROMs from either of those. You're better off downloading it straight from the devs thread.

Any particular reason?

For instance, AOKP Milestone 4 is up on the toolbox app and its only one build off from the dev site (in this particular case build 28 adds very little that you'd be desparate to get). In the case of GummyNex, the teamgummy site is actually a build behind at 0.76 compared to the 0.81 build in Toolbox and 0.82 build at xda.

jpin321

Reaction score

I agree with this as well. Downloading from the devs thread allows you to get the latest builds, it allows you to verify you have a good download giving you the md5 to verify. I've had more errors and problems from using those type of apps than i ever have doing everything manually.

steveinil

Reaction score
Humm OK another question on the rom toolbox app it had gaps if you go to the devs thread do they have seperat gap downloads also or all in one shot? And with the gaps download I assume you flash the rom first the roboot the flash the gap or is it just an open and instal apk type deal.. sorry for the 20 questions newb on roms ..

chewy74

Reaction score
Axi0m crossbreed M2 by Droidth3ory
Franco's milestone 2

jpin321

Reaction score
Humm OK another question on the rom toolbox app it had gaps if you go to the devs thread do they have seperat gap downloads also or all in one shot? And with the gaps download I assume you flash the rom first the roboot the flash the gap or is it just an open and instal apk type deal.. sorry for the 20 questions newb on roms ..

Yea the g apps will be included on the devs thread. codename includes them in the room, others may as well. You will need to install the rom then gapps before you reboot.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with this as well. Downloading from the devs thread allows you to get the latest builds, it allows you to verify you have a good download giving you the md5 to verify. I've had more errors and problems from using those type of apps than i ever have doing everything manually.

^^^
THIS

Too many issues can arise. In my opinion they take too much control out of the users hand. Not being able to verify md5 in the main thing. If you get it from the dev, at least you know it's the latest version plus you can verify.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

If I were you, I'd get Chrome-to-phone (assuming you have Chrome on your desktop computer), then browse to your devs thread on your desktop and find the download link for the rom and gapps. Then send it via chrome-to-phone to your Nexus. When the link arrives on your phone elect to download each. Once the downloads are done, they will be located at sd/Downloads/. Use MD5 checker for each and verify they're complete and not corrupt.

This may seem tedious, but trust me it's worthwhile to ensure the flash goes correctly.

After this, boot into CW recovery:
  1. nandroid backup
  2. factory reset
  3. wipe dalvik
  4. install rom
  5. install gapps
  6. reboot

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I'm obviously not biased but i am surprised no one has mentioned ICSourcery in this thread... You can find it here in our section and with the exception of a few minor theme issues it is a flawless rom.. just like it was on the OG at the time..

All the roms that were mentioned here are great and as someone said there is a rom for everyone cause not everyone like the same things... some of the features that are unique for ICSourcery and are a first on the gnex are:
Auto flashing of themes, softkeys, kernels, bootanimations, fonts, all from inside the rom. We add mods and updates in the cloud and send in a push message to let you know without you needing to wipe and reconfigure a new version every time.. and much much more..

jpin321

Reaction score
Yea, you have to try on a few roms before you will find one you really like. I like that the op is titled "favorite" not "best". All of the devs do an excellent job.