Care to recomend your favorite ROM's and Kernels?

FryFTW

Reaction score
I'm getting the GNex for my birthday in April. I know there's still some bugs like battery and radio issues. I was wondering what the best roms were to fix these problems, but still be mostly stock. I love the way the phone looks and the software. I'd just like the opinions and facts from the DF community.

eagle923

Reaction score
Grab Wug's Toolkit and JRummy's ROM Toolbox. Pick one a day and try them out! I was on GummyNex and Bugless Beast for a bit but settled on AOKP for now. There is a 4.04 stock out there too.

FWIW: I'm AOKP Milestone 4 at the moment, stock battery, 65% brightness (not auto) and leave LTE and WIFI on and it lasts 11-12 hours with light-medium usage. In a normal day, I check emails/gtalk that pops up, listen to some music streamed from Google Music and put in appointments into my calendar. I don't really play games, although I'd assume that eats battery due to high screen usage.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Big fan of Imoseyen's kernel right now... I need to try it on AOKP, only run it with stock 4.04 so far. Phone idles really well, as opposed to when I was running AOKP before.

Riley

Reaction score
Right now I'm running DroidTheory's Axiom Crossbreed B1 monolith ROM with the R85 nightly kernel from Franco that comes with it. Running very very well. DancingNexus

Rodimus4180

Reaction score
Right now I'm running Th3ory's patient zero V.13r rom with included trinity kernel but I have francois r98 on backup in case one of the kernels included With the rom don't agree with the phone. So far I'm liking everything about patient 0.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
the 4.0.4 radios alone SHOULD fix whatever signal issues you may encounter. I am on the CyanogenMod Nightly train :biggrin:.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm on Android Revolution with 4.0.2 kernel. Had it since about the 3rd day of owning my Nexus and love it. Haven't had time to flash other ROMs, but considering how stable this is, I don't see any real reason to either.

david14807

Reaction score
TranQuil

I Love This ROM

[FONT=&amp]I Love This ROM!
I was a MIUI fan but the themes don’t seem to work well on the Nexus.
I Love This ROM!
I can customize with 3 different launchers, the Gummy boot screens work on this ROM.
I Love This ROM!
I like the added colors on the pull down widget bar, tired of the blue theme.
I Love This ROM![/FONT]
Customizable lock screen, 4.04 and the radio is awesome.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't believe there's a better, full packaged ROM out right now compared to DT's Patient Zero ROM(before that it was Crossbreed). He took AOKP(which was my favorite before this) and made it 10x better with support of Android 4.0.4.

OP
FryFTW

FryFTW

Reaction score
All off those sound great! I'm really interested in the Patient Zero ROM though. Would you guys also be able to recommend the best ways to unlock and root? I couldn't really understand anything they were saying in the videos I saw. I've tired before, I put CM7 on my OG.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
FryFTW

FryFTW

Reaction score
Rooted before*

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go with:
  • Rom: AOKP milestone 4 (stock feel, awesome toggles, plenty of mods if you want them)
  • Kernel: Franco nightly #98 (get his app - enable hotplug)
  • Radio: 4.0.4 FA02 from the leak (much much better than the 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 radios)
I've been flashing a variety of roms/kernels/radios over the last 3+ months and this is by far and away the best combo I've come across. No freezes, reboots or funny business. I have the extended battery and I'm getting in the 14-16 hour range on moderate daily use. 4g and wifi on all the time. Signal and 3g/4g handoff is flawless. I live in a very strong 4g area so I think that has a lot to do with it. Just try a bunch of different combos until you find one you like. There's a rom for everyone.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
All off those sound great! I'm really interested in the Patient Zero ROM though. Would you guys also be able to recommend the best ways to unlock and root? I couldn't really understand anything they were saying in the videos I saw. I've tired before, I put CM7 on my OG.

As I've told others, Wug's Kit is great for nervous noobs - it does everything for you. But if your intent is to start doing this regularly, I would strongly urge you to root manually so you understand exactly what you're doing.

If that interests you:
  1. Unlock your bootloader - link; This shows you where to find the Samsung driver and how to set up ADB on your computer;
  2. Root, CWM and first backup - link; This will show you how to push superuser and clockwork recovery onto your phone;
Here you'll find a list of useful tutorials.

eagle923

Reaction score

See my reply (first in the thread!). Grab Wug's root kit off the forums here or search for it. It takes like 10 minutes from the time you download it. Just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IT GIVES YOU and follow them step by step. I've rooted 3 separate phones with it perfectly.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
See my reply (first in the thread!). Grab Wug's root kit off the forums here or search for it. It takes like 10 minutes from the time you download it. Just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IT GIVES YOU and follow them step by step. I've rooted 3 separate phones with it perfectly.

Link's in my post above.