Car audio connector with no AUX outlet?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by elyshalynn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. elyshalynn

elyshalynn New Member

I've been looking for this EVERYWHERE and can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm just lazy...

I want to listen to music from my Droid, in my car. I don't think I'm asking too much here. However, I can't seem to find a cable/hook-up that would work with my car stereo? I don't have an AUX outlet, just a CD player. Years ago I had an mp3 player and bought a connector that worked through the FM radio and the charging outlet...anything like this for Droid? Or can someone tell me how the hell I'm supposed to enjoy my music in my car? Thanks.
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

If you still have the rf modulator that will work. However the only other way is to replace your headunit in your car.
  3. jloya

jloya New Member

^^^ what he said
  4. elyshalynn

elyshalynn New Member

Really?? Am I the only person withOUT an AUX outlet in my car stereo? I can imagine this being an issue for other Droid users...

I find this irritating.
  5. jloya

jloya New Member

I used to work in car stereo installation, unfortunately if your stock stereo doesnt have a AUX Input theres not much you can do. You can either us a RF modulator (i had one of these and the sound quality is terrribble) next you can replace your stereo....nowadays you can get a decent car stereo for about 120
  6. nickelocene

nickelocene New Member

7. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

I've never had a car stereo that had a aux-in I always used tape insert thingie or an FM transmitter. I've tried a couple of different ones and they all work but the radio transmitters pickup a lot of noise, clicks and pops and buzzes.

Pain or damage or even beatings don't end the world. The world end when you're dead. Until then you have more punishment store. Stand out like a man and give some back. Oh yeah I still use Tapatalk.
  8. Stretch2m

Stretch2m New Member

There are FM doohickeys that you can get at Radio Shack, etc., that supposedly hijack an FM station and then you can broadcast from your Droid's headphone jack (or any other device with a headphone jack). And it worked great when I was sitting in a parked car, but as soon as I started to drive around it was almost impossible to find an available frequency from all the radio station interference. I returned it, resigned that I will just have to wait until a new car stereo is in my budget.
  9. elyshalynn

elyshalynn New Member

Well that sucks the big one :/ Maybe I'll try one of those transmitter things. When I used it with my mp3 I remember it being ok? I drive a ****box and honestly can't justify buying a new radio for it at this point.
  10. LtKen

LtKen New Member

What kind of car do you drive? I recently installed a Grom Audio adapter in my 07 Tacoma, and it works great...

http://www.gromaudio.com/
  11. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Everyone that has said "fm thingy" is an rf modulator. Fyi.
  12. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

OK so the FM transmitter is called a FM modulator but what's the cassette tape thingie called?
  13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

The FM units suck if you are traveling. You have to keep changing to new un-used frequencies. They seem to have a lot of noise.

For me, the cassette adapter works much better. I bought one at Best Buy for 24 dollars and it works flawlessly.
  14. takeshi

takeshi New Member

A modulator is a modulator. You don't need one specifically designed for the Droid.

I wouldn't assume that. The aftermarket does make aux in adapters for many factory stereos. Im not saying there's definitely one for the OP but there's the possibility.

I use an iPod. There's just nowhere near enough room on the SD card and my car's head unit has an iPod interface so the device itself can remain hidden and in the car all the time.

...or if you live in a major city with a lot of radio stations. Or if you care about sound quality. They're best left as a last resort.

Another problem is that they vary so much in performance. Price doesn't mean a thing either. I had a cheap Scosche that worked really well but it was discontinued long, long ago.

It's just a cassette adapter.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  15. fdkatz

fdkatz New Member

I got a Monster 300 from Radio Shack that works pretty well. If you are between Conn and Boston, you should have available empty FM stations. The sound is actually pretty good.
  16. snowman

snowman Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  17. JSmallS

JSmallS New Member

I had one of those Monster ones but even then had problems with static from other stations just driving from one city to the next. I hated that. I found this product which i use daily and the sound quality is incredible. I have never heard an FM transmitter so freakin clear, and believe me i have tried a couple different ones. This thing sounds like you are listening to a cd in the car. I even happened to find a Youtube video review of it the other day too. Hope that helps, its a non invasive way of getting your phone through your car.
  18. BPB

BPB New Member

19. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

20. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

My Prius doesn't (it's an '05; the aux came in in '06), but the stereo had an input for satellite and I used a gizmo from Dice to connect to that. I use it for both my iPod (it displays on the screen) and my Sirius/XM radio via the aux input. There are some FM transmitters like the one at http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kezceitYJ74/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?search=car modulator that's supposed to work as well. You plug it into the radio via the antenna input and plug the antenna wire into that.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
Search tags for this page

how to listen to mp3 in car without aux

how to listen to music from your phone in your car without a

how to listen to music in car without aux

how to play mp3 in car without aux

how to play music from phone in car without aux

how to play music from phone to car without aux

how to play music from your phone in your car without aux

how to play music in a car without aux

how to play music in car without aux

how to play music in car without aux port