What's a good Bluetooth Car Stereo?

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Title pretty much gives it away. I'm tired of using an FM Transmitter and am considering purchasing an entirely new car stereo with bluetooth capabilities to play music from my android phone. Ideally, said car stereo would have the following features (in order of most important to least important)
  1. Play music from phone without audio wires
  2. Controls on stereo hardware can change settings on phone (next, previous, pause, maybe volume)
  3. Work with my audio applications (³, Pandora, others)
  4. Display track information on stereo screen
  5. Some capabilities for dealing with phone calls.
I don't even need it to be a CD player. I've seen some Sony and JVC and other devices in my local car stereo places but am wondering what the rest of you have used and know is good.

kardar2

Reaction score
I just use my Motorola roadster it just wish I could start a text from scratch with voice commands.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jdroid80

Reaction score
What's your price range? What size? Double din with a large touch screen, or single din, which has a more slender front?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I would say my range is under $200. It could be single or double din, my car has space for double, but I don't need a touchscreen.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would say my range is under $200. It could be single or double din, my car has space for double, but I don't need a touchscreen.

Alpine CDE-133BT hands down! It's $159 and not only does Bluetooth for calls but, streams audio as well. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to top the sound quality of an Alpine dancedroid

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Tapatalk

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
Alpine CDE-133BT hands down! It's $159 and not only does Bluetooth for calls but, streams audio as well. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to top the sound quality of an Alpine dancedroid

I will second that. I just installed my CDE-133BT tonight and it works very well with my Nexus. It supports both A2DP and AVRCP. I was going to create a post for anyone else that might be looking.

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I will second that. I just installed my CDE-133BT tonight and it works very well with my Nexus. It supports both A2DP and AVRCP. I was going to create a post for anyone else that might be looking.

What exactly are A2DP and AVRCP? I mean I can guess they are Bluetooth protocols for audio data but I don't really know anything about it.

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
What exactly are A2DP and AVRCP? I mean I can guess they are Bluetooth protocols for audio data but I don't really know anything about it.

A2DP is basic audio streaming without controls, and AVRCP is audio streaming with control from the head unit. On this deck, I change my source to BT and it automatically launches the Google Music app and starts playing. Then of course you can switch songs. I'm still figuring out the full capability as I just set it up tonight and have no other experience. Will post back if I find anything else significant.

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Did you install it yourself or have some techs do it? From what I can tell, installing a car stereo looks pretty easy... but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of trick to make sure it doesn't vibrate when I'm driving or who knows what.

ReaganSmash

Reaction score
I did it. It was pretty simple, but my car was already set up for an aftermarket deck and I've done it a few times in the past. If it's your first time, I highly recommend buying from Crutchfield or having it professionally done. If you go to Crutchfield and select your car, they'll tell you what fits, what you'll need in the way of a wire harness and trim kit, and give you step-by-step directions specific to your car. That said, it doesn't always mean it's an easy task and they only let you see generic instructions until you order, so you should do some research and find out what you're getting into. Lessons learned the hard way can be expensive and it should be less than $100 to have it done by a pro.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
check out crutchfield.com
they will help you the right stereo that will fit your car and most of it includes a kit for you car as well. they will also help you install it into your car

OP
O

ohioDroid

Reaction score
Interesting development... one of my local car stereo companies is now advertising an 'Android ready' car stereo from Kenwood.
Here's an article about them: Kenwood Launches Android Ready Car Radios | ceoutlook.com
And another: Kenwood Expands Android, App Control in Car Radios | ceoutlook.com

Basically it sounds like Kenwood is starting to recognize Android, which means they're building in the USB Mass Storage functionality into their stereos and getting more in depth music control (like Pandora). Unfortunately, UMS won't work on a new phone like the Galaxy Nexus, so this may not be a viable option.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That and Kenwood doesn't hold a candle to Alpine...and I sell both brands.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk

wcjeep

Reaction score
i ordered the Alpine 133bt yesterday from Crutchfield. They are popular and on back order. Also ordered the modular amp.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
That and Kenwood doesn't hold a candle to Alpine...and I sell both brands.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk
I disagree with you on that. While Alpine has good products, so does Kenwood. I have run both Kenwood and Alpine in several vehicles and I prefer Kenwood unless you are talking about Alpine PDX Amps and Type R subs. The Excelon head units are great and Alpine headunits can be very touchy if you decide to use your phone as a USB drive.

X