What's a good Bluetooth Car Stereo?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by ohioDroid, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

Title pretty much gives it away. I'm tired of using an FM Transmitter and am considering purchasing an entirely new car stereo with bluetooth capabilities to play music from my android phone. Ideally, said car stereo would have the following features (in order of most important to least important)
    1. Play music from phone without audio wires
    2. Controls on stereo hardware can change settings on phone (next, previous, pause, maybe volume)
    3. Work with my audio applications (³, Pandora, others)
    4. Display track information on stereo screen
    5. Some capabilities for dealing with phone calls.
    I don't even need it to be a CD player. I've seen some Sony and JVC and other devices in my local car stereo places but am wondering what the rest of you have used and know is good.
  2. kardar2

kardar2 New Member

I just use my Motorola roadster it just wish I could start a text from scratch with voice commands.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  3. jdroid80

jdroid80 New Member

What's your price range? What size? Double din with a large touch screen, or single din, which has a more slender front?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

I would say my range is under $200. It could be single or double din, my car has space for double, but I don't need a touchscreen.
  5. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Alpine CDE-133BT hands down! It's $159 and not only does Bluetooth for calls but, streams audio as well. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to top the sound quality of an Alpine dancedroid

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Tapatalk
  6. ReaganSmash

ReaganSmash New Member

I will second that. I just installed my CDE-133BT tonight and it works very well with my Nexus. It supports both A2DP and AVRCP. I was going to create a post for anyone else that might be looking.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

What exactly are A2DP and AVRCP? I mean I can guess they are Bluetooth protocols for audio data but I don't really know anything about it.
  8. ReaganSmash

ReaganSmash New Member

A2DP is basic audio streaming without controls, and AVRCP is audio streaming with control from the head unit. On this deck, I change my source to BT and it automatically launches the Google Music app and starts playing. Then of course you can switch songs. I'm still figuring out the full capability as I just set it up tonight and have no other experience. Will post back if I find anything else significant.
  9. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

Did you install it yourself or have some techs do it? From what I can tell, installing a car stereo looks pretty easy... but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of trick to make sure it doesn't vibrate when I'm driving or who knows what.
  10. ReaganSmash

ReaganSmash New Member

I did it. It was pretty simple, but my car was already set up for an aftermarket deck and I've done it a few times in the past. If it's your first time, I highly recommend buying from Crutchfield or having it professionally done. If you go to Crutchfield and select your car, they'll tell you what fits, what you'll need in the way of a wire harness and trim kit, and give you step-by-step directions specific to your car. That said, it doesn't always mean it's an easy task and they only let you see generic instructions until you order, so you should do some research and find out what you're getting into. Lessons learned the hard way can be expensive and it should be less than $100 to have it done by a pro.
  11. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 New Member

check out crutchfield.com
    they will help you the right stereo that will fit your car and most of it includes a kit for you car as well. they will also help you install it into your car
  12. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

Interesting development... one of my local car stereo companies is now advertising an 'Android ready' car stereo from Kenwood.
    Here's an article about them: Kenwood Launches Android Ready Car Radios | ceoutlook.com
    And another: Kenwood Expands Android, App Control in Car Radios | ceoutlook.com

Basically it sounds like Kenwood is starting to recognize Android, which means they're building in the USB Mass Storage functionality into their stereos and getting more in depth music control (like Pandora). Unfortunately, UMS won't work on a new phone like the Galaxy Nexus, so this may not be a viable option.
  13. Droid DOES!!

That and Kenwood doesn't hold a candle to Alpine...and I sell both brands.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk
  14. wcjeep

wcjeep Member

i ordered the Alpine 133bt yesterday from Crutchfield. They are popular and on back order. Also ordered the modular amp.
  15. brad92

brad92 New Member

I disagree with you on that. While Alpine has good products, so does Kenwood. I have run both Kenwood and Alpine in several vehicles and I prefer Kenwood unless you are talking about Alpine PDX Amps and Type R subs. The Excelon head units are great and Alpine headunits can be very touchy if you decide to use your phone as a USB drive.

X
  16. Droid DOES!!

Nope, I mean as far as audio output, ease of use, and reliablity. Kenwood isn't bad by any means but still falls into "feature for the dollar" while Alpine is still considered high end...being that they invented high-end car stereo to begin with.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk
  17. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

What about JVC?

There's now a JVC KD-X50-BT stereo. You lose having a CD player, but it's described as being fully capable Bluetooth-wise with an Android phone for audio streaming, control, and Pandora. It also has a front USB jack (that provides up to an amp, so it can charge your phone too) and an auxiliary input. They also provide a microphone so you can do hands-free voice conversations.

JVC KD-X50BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
  18. fireman00

fireman00 Member

I love Crutchfield, very helpful and their applet that lets you narrow down what will fit your vehicle and what options you're looking for works very well. My MAXX connects to my new JVC every time. The only thing I don't like is that the radio controls don't work as well as I had hoped for Slacker, it does work well for Pandora. I'm moving to iheartradio, hopefully the controls will work for that app.
  19. William_04_x

William_04_x Member

The factory headunit in my company vehicle started having some issues in January. I went looking for a BT HU and ended up buying the KDX50BT. It's considered a mechless deck, as it's made for digital media, and has no moving parts. It connects quickly and streams MP3 audio just fine. The hands free functions are easy to use, and I rarely hear complaints about call quality. When I do it's because I have an open window.

The only complaint I have is that's it's a little underpowered. I put a new pair of infinity door speakers in along with the HU, and they definitely need an amp to drive them.

This is no high end HU by any means, but it adds a lot of convenience for a small amount of cash.

From RAZR MAXX
    1 person likes this.
  20. jdroid80

jdroid80 New Member

I bought the Pioneer DEH-P9400BH for about $200 for my truck. Its a sweet radio. It connects to my RAZR through Bluetooth and can stream Pandora through it, and make phone calls.

I'm totally happy with it.
Search tags for this page
android bluetooth car stereo
best android bluetooth car stereo
best bluetooth car radio

best bluetooth car stereo

best bluetooth car stereo deck
best bluetooth car stereo for android
best bluetooth radio for car
best car stereo for android
best car stereo for android bluetooth
bluetooth car stereo android