Can't Just Be Me...

52brandon

Reaction score
Have you tried using a headset? That should tell you right away if its the mic or not...

BzB

Reaction score
You might be better off trying another phone just to test if it also has the same issue. If you switch and don't have the issue then there's definitely something in your environment that doesn't like the droid hw. If you end up having the same issue with a different phone then it's vzw problem.

Have you tried a bluetooth or wired headset, and do you have the problem with that? Might be worth a shot.

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
Thanks. I have used other phones without this issue. I had the Eris (which I gave up due to the battery life on it and lack of features). I also had a BB for a short while. Neither had this problem and both had great reception.

I have used a headset and it has less issues. The voice recording is...well..interesting at best. When it does pick up that I am speaking it clearly is not understanding what I am saying.

For instance. I searched for "jenna village" I said it and it came up with "jehovah victors" I had someone else say it (in case it was just me!) and it came up with the same thing. Now, when I google jenna village the result I want is the first item.

M

Matth3w

I had a problem yesterday where it sounded like I had the volume turned way up and couldn't hear my caller, but not sure if it was my phone or not.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to be smarter then the phone to operate it..... good luck!

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
There have been previous threads about some people having trouble with the noise cancellation mic in the droid cutting out parts of their voice. I believe it was deemed to be an incompatibility between their voice/accent/dialect, and the DROID.

How to test that...not sure. I think the little indention at the top of the back of the phone is the cancellation mic port? Maybe put a finger over it and test the phone? *Shrug*

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just return it.

You've done everything including a factory reset and have had no success.

Tell them that you don't want to move into the Palm and get yourself another Droid.

edit: Only other thing I can think of is the type of case you are using. That's still a stretch though (because you used headphones with same results)

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
How likely is it that Droid 5 won't have this issue, though? Could it be a batch issue and if so, could it be that all four came from the same batch even though one came from a different state?

brianr0131

Reaction score
You should return it for another Droid and run it with no apps like CK suggested. The only app you have that I have not tried is Meebo. I know a lot of people like it so I doubt that's your problem, but you never know.

Get a new one and install nothing for a week or so. Then add a program every day. If you didn't like the Eris battery you won't like the Pre either.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you've had the same issue 4 times with 4 different Droids, i'm sorry but you have to be the unluckiest person right now. The Droid and you aren't meant for each other. I'm honestly pretty dumbfounded by this situation. Twice would seem reasonable to a certain extent, but 4?! Go buy yourself a lotto ticket!

If I were you i'd just settle for another phone considering you went through this 4 times already. Could try the HTC TP2 or if you wanna stay with Android just go back to the Eris. Sorry to hear, but a situation like yours comes like every 6 blue moons.

BzB

Reaction score
I have used a headset and it has less issues.

just to clarify, when you talk to someone on the phone using the headset is the problem better or not? you referred to the voice search feature, but that can be hit or miss even for a perfectly fine phone due to accent, etc.

are you using a case? if so, do you have the problem without the case?

i guess it's worth one more shot to try a different droid, but personally i wouldn't go through 5 phones...that's me though. sounds like you're running out of options...you and the droid just might not be compatible or android doesn't like you... :icon_eek:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
How likely is it that Droid 5 won't have this issue, though? Could it be a batch issue and if so, could it be that all four came from the same batch even though one came from a different state?
The odds of having 4 with the EXACT SAME hardware issue is very unlikely. Thats why most of us are leaning towards some type of app/widget or other miscellaneous issue such as a case or skin.

It's such a specific issue that it's hard to rule out something on your end that you are inadvertently doing wrong. It's not like one Droid had a bad keyboard, the next rebooted, another with bad call quality etc etc.

You are having the EXACT same problem with all of them. Thats why they are offering you the Palm. They think you are doing something on your end and don't know how to operate the device.

Lets say it was a bad batch. This forum and many others would be lit up with the same issue you are having. As an example when the Tour was released. There was a hardware problem (trackball) and every forum had the same thread complaining about the trackball problem.

So it's one of two things.

#1 you are one unlucky fellow : ) or # 2 it's something on your end

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd take it back and talk to VZW. Explain what's been going on, and that you would like a resolution. Don't settle for a device you don't want. While it may be a hassle... it's less of a hassle then spending EVERY day with a device you don't want :)