I have to admit.. Android has grown on me.. But

xythil

Reaction score
Well I went from rooting, to using the DroidMod updater to install DroidMod1.0... to installing Ultimate7.. to going back to DroidMod 1.0 to finally unrooting...

It was an interesting journey. And I have actually grown to like the Android OS. I appreciate how open it is , the multitasking, the notifications... it is all great.

However I am not too sure I am in love with the motorola Droid.

I mean on the one hand it feels sturdy, and well built. The screen is just BEAUTIFUL. The resolution makes going back to the internet on my Ipod touch nearly unbearable...

Although I do still appreciate the snap of the ipods menus/browser, the lag on the droid isn't to bad and it is definitely speedier in other areas.

I would honestly be perfectly happy if it wernt for the design and weight of the droid. I do not use the physical keyboard so it feels like I am carrying around extra bulk that does nothing for me.

So I think I am going to give it a full week before I make my decision whether to keep the phone or not but any suggestions would be helpful.

I was thinking of maybe going down to an Eris but I dont think i could live with the smaller screen and lower resolution and slower processor.

The Eris is about the size/weight I would want ot carry but I want the power o the moto droid.

P.S.

Just want to thank everyone on this forum who was so helpful.

P.P.S

Hey I noticed I lost the mic icon on my droid on the google search widget and on maps and just about everywhere. I use to have an option to press a little mic on the keyboard and input command verbally but I dont see it anymore. Is this because I am not on droidmod anymore?

cosmonaut

Reaction score
Sorry to see you go. I am like you on the size and weight but I really don't mind it that much. It is a pain when it is on my belt while driving and I have to take it off. I also miss the speed dial of my old phone but I still am enjoying my Droid and have no intentions of getting rid of it. By summer I hope to get my wife a smartphone but I am sure she wouldn't like a Droid so I may be getting her an Eris.
I have owned a couple of dozen phones in the last few years and the Droid is my favorite one so far. Good luck what ever you do.

mrdroid

Reaction score
You should try BuglessBeast with Chevy's 1GHz Kernal. It's really like an entirely different phone. Over the past week I've tried about every ROM/Kernal combo possible including Koush's CM and this BB/Chevy combo is just unreal. 1000/250 ondemand in SetCPU and there is no lag, ever. Battery life is amazing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do a reset in your privacy settings. That will get your mike back.

Gotta say that you certainly gave it a fair try. No reason to say bye, you just need a different Android phone. Maybe the Devour.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

slinky

Reaction score
the size is the problem? almost the exact same as the small iphone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get into the gym:icon_ devil:... anyone (other than a teenage girl) that complains about the weight of this device has some serious issues. Is it heavier than most devices, yes... but if an extra 1-2oz is that noticeable to you after a week or two of use than you must be seriously weak. If that's the case you should def keep the phone as it's apparently the only thing keeping your arm from complete atrophy:icon_ nana:, lol.

Though I will agree I love the OS (though it's in its infancy, it will get better) but Moto has some obvious flaws in the other design elements and QC aspects of the phone.

mjs31

Reaction score
I absolutely love my Droid, but have to say, I would probably get rid of the physical keyboard if I could. Running BB v.8 right now with the Chevy 1.2 kernal is amazing. Although the size does not bother me....if there was a choice I would go lighter without the physical keyboard.
I do wonder how you boot into setup with a non physical keyboard, but I guess that would depend on the phone.

Hey...KZI...Want to compare arm size or strength..LOL Still would like it lighter even with my 5 days a week at the gym

Lemurion

Reaction score
I would definitely suggest looking at the Nexus One once it gets to Verizon. No keyboard and an excellent screen. I wouldn't bother with the Devour as it has the same resolution screen as the iPhone.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
You should try BuglessBeast with Chevy's 1GHz Kernal. It's really like an entirely different phone. Over the past week I've tried about every ROM/Kernal combo possible including Koush's CM and this BB/Chevy combo is just unreal. 1000/250 ondemand in SetCPU and there is no lag, ever. Battery life is amazing.

I dont really understand the differences between ROMs and I understand NOTHING about kernals.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Everyone seems to LOVE UltimateDroid7 (hundreds more people on that forum than any other) but I installed it after DroidMod and I lost my tether and a bunch of cool features... It felt like a downgrade from DroidMod.

1) So what exactly is the difference between all the ROMs? Just the packages they come with and the look/theme?

2) What exactly is a kernal? How exaclty do I use it to overclock my droid? Can somone explain this to me? Can I get an overclock in droidmod 1.0?

3) Is it possible to do all these things on any android phone or is it just MotoDroids? Could a Nexus one run DroidMod? Could it run wifi tether?

4) I noticed when installing droidmod it installed a browser package (i forget the name but its popular and everyone around here said to use it) but I dont actually see it as an app anywhere. How do I access this?

slinky

Reaction score
I find the virtual keyboard useless if you do any kind of serious emailing. I am so thankful for the physical keyboard.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
I find the virtual keyboard useless if you do any kind of serious emailing. I am so thankful for the physical keyboard.

I am way faster with the virtual keyboard personally. The top row on rh physical keyboard is unbearable

slinky

Reaction score

I am way faster with the virtual keyboard personally. The top row on rh physical keyboard is unbearable

Spelling is impossible with the virtual. It took me a few days and now the top row is fine, even with the worst case imaginable for it. Get a thin case for the top and it shouldn't bother you at all. Spell check is really a problem for the same as the iPhone. Every email has a wrong word in it, here or there, and if you can use the physical keyboard it's much more accurate and leaves less to guesswork.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

I am way faster with the virtual keyboard personally. The top row on the physical keyboard is unbearable

Also the browser i was talking about is the milestone browser

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont really understand the differences between ROMs and I understand NOTHING about kernals.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Everyone seems to LOVE UltimateDroid7 (hundreds more people on that forum than any other) but I installed it after DroidMod and I lost my tether and a bunch of cool features... It felt like a downgrade from DroidMod.

Start here:
Start Here | Root Your Droid
This will take you through the basics and if memory serves give some basic differences in the ROMs and kernels. The ROMs and kernels can very greatly depending on the chefs. Some of them are built for pure speed while others are focused on stability. You really just need to play around with several to find what you like and what works on your phone as everyone will give you a different answer on which is the best and why... Same for the kernels. Some kernels work great for some and are horrible on others (i.e. Chevy's don't do well on mine yet AdamZ do, others have the opposite experience). Sorry there's not much of a direct answer but that's the way it is with these things.

Since the availability of Swype I can understand about the keyboard. But one of the reason I specifically got the device was the physical keyboard. Software keyboards don't work well for me (even Swype is far from perfect with my large/wide fingers)... though admittedly the physical keyboard is about as useless as the on-screen ones... really can't believe it made it through R&D in that form, it's practically useless for many people.

Hey...KZI...Want to compare arm size or strength..LOL Still would like it lighter even with my 5 days a week at the gym

If you feel you need to:icon_ devil: though I gave up the vanity of training for size/appearance long ago. But I do keep my strength up.