Can't get barnacle to work

azules9780

Reaction score
I'm trying to wifi tether using barnacle running this rom -1.3Ghz LV 7X Bugless Beast. However I keep getting permission denied. I have terminal emulator but I don't know how to use it. Can you help me out please?

Thanks

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Open terminal emulator and type su then hit enter. what does it say?

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
I used a different rom or kernel or whatever. Running at 1ghz. I have the superuser app still but when I click to open it, nothing comes up. I typed su in terminal emulator, permission denied. Both barnacle and setcpu say I don't have root.

Also, I just noticed something kind of funny this time, the wall paper that I had before I re-installed this last time is still there from before.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok try it again but wipe data and cache and see if that helps

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
same thing, permission denied, setcpu says I'm not rooted etc.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you have a backup that you know root worked? And if you just changed kernels that won't affect root. Make sure you're using a different ROM. And always wipe data and cache. Otherwise whatever is causing the issue will carry over.

OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
ok, quick explanation on the difference between kernels and roms please. I am using BB stock 2.1 root from your sig. Then I went to BB rom forums and downloaded a few of the overclocking roms or kernels to my computer. And then I tried tethering and using titanium backup etc.

and no, I'm not sure if the original root I did actually would have worked to tether because I couldn't figure it out. So I went over and downloaded another BB to O/C to 1.3Ghz

Last edited:
OP
A

azules9780

Reaction score
so are you saying I need to use cyanogens rom instead of bugless beast to try something different?

And all I have for a backup is the one I did for my original root.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok the file in my sig isn't BB or anything it is pure stock 2.1 with root. ROMs or Read Only Memory is like windows and a kernel is like dos, or the underlying system.
Now knowing that you tried something over with BB that could be the issue. Those kernels are designed for his ROM. you can't try cyanogen without rom manager and that needs root to work.
You need to use a rom with a nandroid install. I like chevyno1's never had a problem with them.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
If you have a backup of you original root try that first. Just wipe data and cache first and should get your root back.