Breaking down the latest "one-click" root and the adb method as well.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
OK, I didn't know where else to start this conversation, I even feel out of place here since this sub-forum is for custom .sbf files and recoveries. However since this is the 'labs' perhaps I can get some REALLY smart replies here, hehehe.

Anyways here's some background threads:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html
was the one that started me down this road and I thought I asked some good questions there, but answers were . . . . not. Then there's this "one-click" thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ting-solution-droid-thread-latest-v1-8ra.html
which within it this thread is linked:
http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...oid-without-rsd-lite-up-including-frg22d.html

Alright, I know that's alot of background, but I've been chewing on this for a couple of nights now and I sitll have few facts, and more questions.

Few facts: Mainly it seems as though this is all based on the application of the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin file (the successor to the old exploid.c file); all of which (seems to have been) created by Sebastian Krahmer.

Questions. Why, after pushing su and busybox are their chmod's set to 4755? Is this required because of the use of the specific(rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin) file or can we just go ahead and set su to 6755 and busybox to 755 and go on about our business? Or is it such that the use of this file and setting both su and busybox to 4755 removes the need (or desire) to run from whatever location busybox is in:
Code:
busybox --install .

Why do I ask these questions? Partially because they've not been answered elsewhere and mainly because where I live is in a very remote area, where Verizon uses USCC as it's partner (Extended Network). I only get 1x here, but worse and most important, whenever I need to dial *228, I get an error message; I have to drive 60 miles to get close enough to an actual VZW tower to get that call to work. If I have to I will try all this stuff myself and get my own answers, but just looking for a shortcut to burning all that gasoline, lol.

Thanks in advance

p.s. What I want to do is go ahead with this via adb, add the manual install of the flash_image binary and SPRecovery (since the last line in the OP at androidforums includes the command to bypass what MotoCache1 calls the "FRP"), set the chmod permissions for su and busybox 6755 and 755 respectively (does busybox really need the 'root' bit set?) and use the above command to install busybox (unless 4755 for su and busybox bypasses this).

Last edited:
OP
teddyearp

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks for the link. I guess what I was really wondering about and didn't make clear is why after using Steve Krahmer's work the permissions for su and busybox are set to 4755? Is this specific because of using the ragagainstthecage-arm5.bin file?

But as I start to learn a bit more, I am thinking not. Since all that needs to be done is get a way to set the system as read/write so that we can actually put the neccessary files there and set the proper permission for them.

So for my actual question. Do these commands have the exact same end result?
Code:
adb push busybox /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod busybox 4755
-and-
Code:
adb push busybox /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod busybox 755
busybox --install .

TIA

log

Reaction score
Ah ok, no they are not the same.

chmod is actually takes 4 digits so 755 is equivalent to 0755.

chmod 4755 sets the user id (see for more: setuid - wiki) to be run as the owner of the file, so that means when you execute it the process runs as the root user not your unprivileged account.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was most likely afk from that thread so the blow off wasn't intentional, there is a response for you now. Like you, Teddy, I agree that the permissions being set for su and busybox have nothing to do with the bin file being run. The file runs and drops us at root. While we have root access (which we'd lose if we rebooted) we swap out su, drop in superuser.apk which basically installs it, and while there we take the opportunity to install busybox which we could do later from the market if we wanted to. I translated Steven's install instructions for rooting via the sdk to ones that could just use the terminal emulator.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62450-how-root-without-using-adb.html also is using those same questionable permissions.
Here is another one:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

If this is a case of cut-n-paste and using the wrong permissions we have a task ahead of us if we want to clean all those other posts up.

OP
teddyearp

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Ah ok, no they are not the same.

chmod is actually takes 4 digits so 755 is equivalent to 0755.

chmod 4755 sets the user id (see for more: setuid - wiki) to be run as the owner of the file, so that means when you execute it the process runs as the root user not your unprivileged account.

Thank you log. I already knew that a 'chmod 755' = 'chmod 0755', but trust me, you have given me some invaluble info.

Chris. I didn't think you were blowing me off. Usually when I post a question somewhere and don't get an answer, I figure that there isn't an easy answer to my question. There's lots of RS posts that I don't answer for the same reason. But this isn't my only resource.

However, your two linked threads deal with the dx and the d2, respectively. And therefore I have no idea if the permissions I propose (soon in a guide at my site) would have any bearing on NON A855 phones, so that said and with the info I have learned and gleaned from the responses here, I think when I put my thoughts together using Sebastian Krahmer's "rageagainstthecage-arm-5.bin file, I will set the (old school) permissions for 'su' and 'busybox', followed with the old busybox install command. Why? First, because log said the new ones wouldn't do the same as the old ones. And because there was just another with some funny stuff on his/her screen, not knowing, but perhaps after using the new ones.

And that's all I'm gonna say for tonite.

OP
teddyearp

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
So now what? I went into IRC and [mbm] said that anyone that used the "buxybox --install ." command was an idiot. I am really getting either confused, n00bed, or needing to do more research. MotoCache1's update file in his thread here does do the command mentioned above and sets the permissions as I have already posted.

Info? Or am I totally n00bed here?

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
busybox

Just get titanium backup from market and click fix on the bottom center when it opens for first time and it'll install busybox for you