Boycott D3 (tired of bloatware)

bplewis24

Reaction score
Rez: Hi, my name is Rez. How may I help you?
Landon Miles: have you had a chance to play with a droid 3?
Rez: Yes, I did.
Landon Miles: im sure you noticed the abundance of apps you'll never use that came pre installed correct?
Rez: That is right.
Landon Miles: how do i uninstall them?
Rez: I apologize all preloaded applications are not removable.
Landon Miles: why not?
Rez: It comes with the design of the phone.
Rez: Would there be anything else?
Landon Miles: thats like buying a car and having a pineapple air freshener permanently on the rearview mirror, wood beads on the seat, and the radio stuck on the hispanic station
Landon Miles: if i buy myself a phone, i want it to be MY phone
Rez: I apologize but thank you for bringing that to our attention. I can send this suggestion to our Motorola Team Developer for review.
Landon Miles: when should i expect an update to remove the crap-ware?
Rez: We don't have any information yes because we are going to take some reviews on this.
Rez: I mean yet.
Landon Miles: are you really gonna review it? or is that just what you are supposed to say? come on, i know you gotta know a few guys there, what to they say about all this?
Rez: If there is an option to that I could have given you the instructions how to.
Landon Miles: that didnt make any sense, where are you from?
Rez: Philippines but we supporting Motorola globally.
Landon Miles: ah outsourcing, and god i love Filipino eggrolls
Rez: Thanks. Would there be anything else about I can help you with about the Droid 3?
Landon Miles: how will i know the latest on this issue?
Rez: Please visit our website at
chat_hyperlink.png
http://www.motorola.com for updates or you can register your phone online to know the latest updates.
Landon Miles: thankyou that'll be all rez, i enjoyed our chat
Rez: Sure.
Rez: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
Rez has disconnected.

Actually it sounded like someone giving another person who's working a hard time. If you don't want the bloatware, hide it using the Home Launcher of your choice. I really see no reason this is even a thread.

I'm thankful I don't have to work in customer service and deal with customers giving me crap that I can't talk back to.

Brandon

recDNA

Reaction score
all thse phones do it so right now just gotta deal with it..hopefully root will come soon for this so it can be removed..ive done it with my droid 1 and 2 now just gotta have patience for root for 3

Rooting is such a pita though. Can't use ota Verizon or HTC updates once rooted. Unpredictable behavior with some apps. One mistake in rooting process could brick your phone. Supposedly stable roms often aren't. Difficult to unroot etc.

Hiding the app doesn't retrieve the space in memory. Some of this bloatware even connects to the net on its own.

On the other hand I don't believe any of our complaints make it up the the decision makers in corporations. Customer service rep probably agrees with us but corporate looks ay customer service as a way to placate us not change policy in a a way that costs them money.

Last edited:

blackbelt27

Reaction score
yeah check out the handy little task manager, i have about 10 apps running ive never even opened, hiding them doesnt make them "go away"

and you people are hilarious, careful conversation can open doors even closed by customer support do's and dont's, but thats besides the point, posting your opinions on the convo is about as pointless as the convo itself, unless you need people to back your opinions because of insecurity

the convo was merely meant to show that absolutely nothing is going to be done about bloatware

Last edited:

otacon

Reaction score
If it wasn't for the bloatware you'd be paying a lot for your device whether it be a phone or computer. I went through my Droid 3 and uninstalled what I could then just auto-killed the ones in task manager that would keep coming back on reboot. I moved the apps I used most to the screen next to my home one and that's that. Bloatware is here to stay.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the bloatware you'd be paying a lot for your device whether it be a phone or computer. I went through my Droid 3 and uninstalled what I could then just auto-killed the ones in task manager that would keep coming back on reboot. I moved the apps I used most to the screen next to my home one and that's that. Bloatware is here to stay.

How come the IPhone costs $200 and has no bloatware then?

Apex 2.0 Revolution

illmatic636

Reaction score
yeah check out the handy little task manager, i have about 10 apps running ive never even opened, hiding them doesnt make them "go away"

and you people are hilarious, careful conversation can open doors even closed by customer support do's and dont's, but thats besides the point, posting your opinions on the convo is about as pointless as the convo itself, unless you need people to back your opinions because of insecurity

the convo was merely meant to show that absolutely nothing is going to be done about bloatware

you really think CSR from Moto has any clue about how to remove bloatware? Every phone comes with it,why shouldn't yours. These programs are obviously in system/apps and therefore you need root to get rid of them.

Pointless this exact thread cause once root is acquired those that know what they are doing will remove the bloatware themselves.
Lets look at the task at hand, acquiring ROOT!

otacon

Reaction score
Rez: Hi, my name is Rez. How may I help you?
Landon Miles: have you had a chance to play with a droid 3?
Rez: Yes, I did.
Landon Miles: im sure you noticed the abundance of apps you'll never use that came pre installed correct?
Rez: That is right.
Landon Miles: how do i uninstall them?
Rez: I apologize all preloaded applications are not removable.
Landon Miles: why not?
Rez: It comes with the design of the phone.
Landon Miles: thats like buying a car and having a pineapple air freshener permanently on the rearview mirror, wood beads on the seat, and the radio stuck on the hispanic station
Landon Miles: if i buy myself a phone, i want it to be MY phone
Rez: I apologize but thank you for bringing that to our attention. I can send this suggestion to our Motorola Team Developer for review.
Landon Miles: when should i expect an update to remove the crap-ware?
Rez: We don't have any information yes because we are going to take some reviews on this.
Rez: I mean yet.
Landon Miles: are you really gonna review it? or is that just what you are supposed to say? come on, i know you gotta know a few guys there, what to they say about all this?
Rez: If there is an option to that I could have given you the instructions how to.
Landon Miles: that didnt make any sense, where are you from?
Rez: Philippines but we supporting Motorola globally.
Landon Miles: ah outsourcing, and god i love Filipino eggrolls
Rez: Thanks. Would there be anything else about I can help you with about the Droid 3?
Landon Miles: how will i know the latest on this issue?
Rez: Please visit our website at
chat_hyperlink.png
http://www.motorola.com for updates or you can register your phone online to know the latest updates.
Landon Miles: thankyou that'll be all rez, i enjoyed our chat
Rez: Sure.
Rez: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
Rez has disconnected.

I used to work phone tech support and it's people like you that made me loath the job. The fact you posted that with a sense of pride as someone just said shows your age. I'd say more but don't want to get in trouble. I really wouldn't act that way with someone who has access your account.

Reaction score

Do you even know what you are looking at? I can tell you with certainty that most of those 10 or so Apps you are blaming on Bloatware is your own crap you personally installed. I have three processes related to Motorola running: Weather, IM, Back Up Assistant.

otacon

Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

Because cell phone company's subsidize Apple more than any other cell phone manufacturer for on contract devices. Sure that iPhone cost us $200 but it cost Verizon & ATT a lot more than say the Droid 3. Simply look at the month to month cost of Verizon smartphones as an example.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

Because cell phone company's subsidize Apple more than any other cell phone manufacturer for on contract devices. Sure that iPhone cost us $200 but it cost Verizon & ATT a lot more than say the Droid 3. Simply look at the month to month cost of Verizon smartphones as an example.

Then make it fair. If Droids are cheap, take off the bloatware or let us uninstall it after a few days. I hated bloatware and the stock ROM. It sucked

Apex 2.0 Revolution

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
People that are saying that this thread is pointless, that there's no use complaining, or that bloatware is here to stay: you might be right.

However, you might be wrong. It only takes a few minutes to complain and it's free to voice your mind. Why not let Verizon, Motorola, and Google know how you feel? I'd like everyone to respectfully voice their complaints to these companies. At least we can say that we tried. :greendroid:

otacon

Reaction score

Apex 2.0 Revolution

Then make it fair. If Droids are cheap, take off the bloatware or let us uninstall it after a few days. I hated bloatware and the stock ROM. It sucked

Apex 2.0 Revolution

I don't mind the bloatware on say computers because you can just do a clean install and start from scratch. The fact you can't remove it from cell phones is pretty sad.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I pushed hard for the removal of bloatware and did every thing I could. What I do know from my fight is that you ae going after the wrong people. Its vzw's phone and vzw bloatware. Motorola makes the phone and put the software on the device and they fulfill the order placed by the carrier. If you want to get anything done then you have to talk to the carrier.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Do you even know what you are looking at? I can tell you with certainty that most of those 10 or so Apps you are blaming on Bloatware is your own crap you personally installed. I have three processes related to Motorola running: Weather, IM, Back Up Assistant.

The newer blur actually did a better job on that. But the blur with the d2 and dx (before gingerblur) was bad about starting up services you never opened. In fact it degraded the performance of the device. Preloaded apps is a nuisance but it can be deleted or frozen upon root. With that said carriers should come up with away where people do not have to root to remove bloat. By not doing that they are inviting more people to root. Bloatware is now probably the #1 reason why people root.

OP
NoBloatware

NoBloatware

Reaction score
What I do know from my fight is that you ae going after the wrong people. Its vzw's phone and vzw bloatware.

Some of that bloatware belongs to Motorola and even Google. Why not put pressure on all fronts? It's free and easy to do so.

Google has the ability to pressure manufacturers and carriers. This interesting article talks about Google's desire to get its partners in line with a better Android experience.

More places to complain
The FCC: FCC Consumer Complaints
Facebook: Remove Android Bloatware Group

Viva la resistance!

Last edited: