Likely getting at least one new D3 Thurs or Fri.

Reaction score
Hi all, been awhile away from here galavanting around with an Epic 4G "flashed" to boost mobile. Down to $45/line unlimited everything even to land lines was nice and all but the phones my wife and I have are starting to get glitchy and we both agree that if we have to deal with Sprint's (boost) 3G data speeds much longer we are going to go crazy. Also the fact that the few times I used the wimax 4G (don't ask how on boost), it was often only marginally faster than VZW 3G. So I unsuspended our VZW accounts with grandfathered unlimited data and all and we are in the market to get new phones to replace my DX and her OG Droid. D3 is looking like the clear winner and I know that unless I am really impressed by something else I am going to get it. We've had the Stratosphere (Epic) for awhile and it is a great phone but I'm not happy about the basically 0 dev support for it as well as the fact that it is waaaaaay outdated now and we don't have LTE out here yet anyway. My wife may want it just for the simple fact that she sucks at learning new technology and it is basically the same phone as her old Epic so whatever. Came back on these forums after a long hiatus and wow there is a great dev section here for the D3 with alot of familiar faces.

Before I take the plunge I just wanted to see if anyone has any good reason I should not be buying one of these phones and the D4 coming out in a month is not one of them. I do not want a phone I can't pull the battery out of and the D3 being a world phone (I travel a lot and am sick of not having one) trumps anything the D4 does for me at least. I can get the D3 for free right now on Newegg for my wife (or $30 or something for the Strat) as an upgrade and I'm doing the same thing for me via a ghost line to get one and to have a spare dumb phone available in case one of ours breaks and as a "house line". I personally cannot find a reason to not get a D3 right now but maybe those with more experience with them might?

doogald

Reaction score
I really like mine, for any of the same reasons that you list. I did upgrade to a Bionic first, but had all sorts of trouble with random data drops which affected 3G as well - no data at all, not just no LTE. Since I've had the D3 it has been just fine - it's a solid phone for me. I know that many people are upset with "bloatware" but I just never run it and it doesn't affect the phone for me at all.

OP
S
Reaction score
You know, I have heard a TON of complaints about LTE just falling off with the Tbolt and apparently the Stratosphere had issues too but didn't hear about the Bionic. I dunno like I said I might get my wife a Strat just because she is a creature of habit and it will be her phone for the next 2 years and LTE is going to drop out here eventually in 2013 sometime. I know I can root it to get rid of the VZW bloat but probably won't because if she breaks it or it just dies while I am gone she can take it into VZW for a replacement without having to worry about a voided warranty. Plus apparently there is no CIQ on VZW devices which is honestly the #1 overriding reason I rooted both our Epics, to get rid of CIQ.

That's another reason to get the D3 over the Strat, apparently there is no dev support and I doubt there will be in the face of the D4 and any other forthcoming LTE slider. I really have no idea why VZW even ported the Epic over... I guess as an entry level LTE device with a full QWERTY. Gotta love the SAMOLED screen though... I might miss that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Currently on hold with Newegg wireless fighting with them about a credit on my VZW account that is holding up the order... one of the last calls on my boost Epic and I am really going to miss the unlimited minutes to land lines, this call now has been over 20 min and it does not matter at all. Oh well I'll monitor my usage and see how it goes as far as voice. I am very excited about the D3 though, it was a total of $.99 cents, came with the motorola car mount AND the desktop dock for free as well. Using the ghost line means I'll be able to upgrade again in the summer or (more likely) wait until LTE fully deploys before burning the upgrade on my mainline. So yeah I can't wait till it gets here and I can get it up, running, rooted, rom'd and oc'd. Looking forward to getting back to Rubix and Liberty and the amazing devs I first saw in action back when I got my DX. And that honestly is what sold the D3 for me more than anything. There is root for the Strat and that is it...

spunker88

Reaction score
If you don't need LTE then the Droid 3 is a great device. I live in a rural area that probably won't get 4G for a while, it wasn't too long ago that we first got VZW towers. The Newegg deal is great, you get the phone for free, a car mount and a dock.

The biggest thing I didn't like about the Droid 3 was all the bloat, but its pretty easy to root with Pete's tool and freeze bloat with Titanium. There are also custom ROMs out there including Hashcode's ICS. Some have criticized the fact the D3 only comes with 512MB of RAM, but once you debloat it you'll have plenty free.

Erikbal

Reaction score
I also really like mine a lot and have had it since like August.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
S
Reaction score
If you don't need LTE then the Droid 3 is a great device. I live in a rural area that probably won't get 4G for a while, it wasn't too long ago that we first got VZW towers. The Newegg deal is great, you get the phone for free, a car mount and a dock.

The biggest thing I didn't like about the Droid 3 was all the bloat, but its pretty easy to root with Pete's tool and freeze bloat with Titanium. There are also custom ROMs out there including Hashcode's ICS. Some have criticized the fact the D3 only comes with 512MB of RAM, but once you debloat it you'll have plenty free.

Yeah ill be rooting it and putting liberty on it right out of the box. I'm running liberty on my dx right now and it's so good I almost don't want to get rid of the x but i just keep telling myself it'll be that much better on the d3 plus ill have my keyboard back.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
I love mine and have had it since july......its rooted and running stock......

Afro

Reaction score
I have the Droid 3, and it is a great phone. The only reason I suggest not getting it is because the next version, the Droid 4 is coming out, in February. It has all the features of the D3, and more, apparently. I for one am not getting it because I am satisfied with my Droid. Just wanted to share

Sent from my DROID3

doogald

Reaction score
I have the Droid 3, and it is a great phone. The only reason I suggest not getting it is because the next version, the Droid 4 is coming out, in February. It has all the features of the D3, and more, apparently.

Not quite - as of now, it will not be a world phone, until Verizon adds the capability later in 2012. I also note that I had plenty of 4G issues with a Moto Bionic holding 3G data which I do not have with a D3, though that is also likely to stabilize at some point. Lastly, the battery is not user-replaceable. Better specs otherwise, though.

Snoking

Reaction score
Ok, this thread peaked my interest. My OG Droid is eligible for an upgrade, so I went ahead and rooted it. Running CM7/chevy low v 800 clock. Runs fairly well. But a Droid 3 free has peaked my interest. I verified on newegg that I can get the free upgrade and Accessories for free.

We live in an area in Wa that well not get 4g for a long time. We also winter in Az East of Phoenix with marginal 3g and dropped calls(have a open ticket).

Will the Droid 3 get ICS from VZW, or will I end up routing it.

My OG Droid has been flawless, can I expect the same from a D3?

FWIW I am not going to spend 250 or 300 for the latest and greatest.

Sorry if this is a hi-jack.

Thanks Chris

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the D3 will not get ICS.

But it's being built if you are rooted. Still in alpha at this point.