[HACKS] Boot into CWR via Stock Bootloader [Bionic]

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright folks, I am surprised this hasn't been discussed before, Hashcode has made a safe strap for the D3 which allows you to Dual Boot ROM's, it has also been tested on the Bionic although to my knowledge the Bionic is not fully supported - besides the Dual Booting this app also lets you boot into Safe Strap (CW Based Recovery) directly from the stock bootloader of the Bionic all you need to do is open the application and select "install recovery" then power down and boot into the stock bootloader by pressing both up and down on the volume rocker and the power key at the same time, you will then go down to BP Tools which will boot into SafeStrap CW recovery - from here you can restore any backups you have previously made, flash ROM's, themes, all the things you can do via BootStrapper CW recovery

Best of all this can save you from having to FXZ back to stock to be able to access recovery

Download D3 Safestrap - Here

Bionic Beta - Here

Big props to Hashcode for his work

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome news, this was just updated to official bionic support...

This release includes:
  • Many enhancements to Safestrap Recovery including:
  • Caching of userdata between the safe and non-safe systems -- This does take some time. I know it's not instant like it was before. But many users were experiencing hung starts, etc. And now you don't need to constantly backup/restore between swaps.
  • Full support for Internal / External SD cards (partitions). Thanks Atrix dev team!
  • By adding the Splashscreen and getting away from BP-Tools mode, you can now use the USB Mount features in the "mounts" area of recovery.
  • When in Non-safe mode, backups include "/systemorig" which is the 1st system. I chose not to back it up while in Safe mode, to save on backup size.
  • Backups are marked as "safe-" or "nonsafe-" + the date for clarity.
  • You can now flash non-Safestrap specific ROMs, and they will go to the Safe System area (note this feature does need some testing).
  • Liberty ROMs currently have a folder in the flash .zip: /system/etc/rootfs that needs to be removed or it will hang at boot.
  • function (){for(var a=1;a<this.length;a++){if(this[a][0]==this[a-1][0]){this.splice(a,1)}}}
  • function (){for(var a=0;a<=this.length;a++){this.shift()}}
[ UPDATE 11/03: Fixed for D3, but haven't checked Bionic. ]
  • If you test a ROM and have issues booting it up, please let me know.
  • Updated to Koush's 5.0.2.7 CWRecovery sources
  • Entry to recovery via new Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery. No more Power + M, volume business! Although, for now I kept the BP-Tools entry method active as well.
  • [UPDATED 11/03 for Safestrap 1.02]:
  • bug fixes
  • a new option for including original system in backups made while Safe System is on
  • a new "Quick Safe System Toggle (DANGEROUS)" for users who are using stock-based ROMs on both 1st and 2nd systems. If you hang at the boot, then please wipe data/cache or try restoring data from a backup. This option basically skips the backup/restore steps.
  • KNOWN ISSUES:
  • I know the swap from Non-safe to Safe system is long. It's meant to put your system back to pristine (or close to) condition.
  • I need to handle the default "Reboot Recovery" triggers that Koush's Bootstrap handles. ROMs like Liberty which have those options won't work correctly till I add them
  • function (){for(var a=1;a<this.length;a++){if(this[a][0]==this[a-1][0]){this.splice(a,1)}}}
  • function (){for(var a=0;a<=this.length;a++){this.shift()}}

I will add the download link to the [OP]

Here is the original thread that's quoted from

WyldRyce

Reaction score
This is really handy. I figured this out as well when I was trying to dual boot into CM7. Works like a charm.

sk8ingdroid

Reaction score
Gnarly is there any possibilities for serious messups that can't be fixed? Probably gonna try it
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gnarly is there any possibilities for serious messups that can't be fixed

Pretty sure if your bootlooping after a system wipe/factory reset you'd be out of luck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jpnestel

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain "dual boot" to me please? Does it mean I dont have to restore a backup if I'm running two different ROMs in Safe and Non-safe modes? I'm just guessing, so don't shoot if I'm way off... Thanks guys

Abadus

Reaction score
Yeah this needs some sort of tutorial :p

I am running stock deodexed debloated 5.7.893 rom. I had it loaded in the non safe could not flash zips to I went to safe (seems backwards to me but I am a noob) and flashed a Th3ory rom. So ok dual boot works and it is nice, but what I really want is the same rom on both. When I restored a back up of my stock rom created with safestrap 1.04 it restored but would not boot up. Went back to safe and everything is ok.

I want to get my stock one set up on both so I can play with flashing some mods but I am not sure how to go about doing it. I assume the restore should have worked but it didn't :(