Bionic Camera absolutely sucks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P

portableb

Reaction score
I applaude those against the camera (including the experts in the store) who have seen the pictures are not the quality of other camera PHONES and talked about this being delayed for 8 months so they should've presented a better product, and who say $300 needs to deliver at least a camera comparable to phones in the past.
Also we're not talking about video here, we're talking about photo's.
For the jackasses, we're not comparing this to a camera, and most of us know how to take photo's as we've been doing it, AND ON PHONES, for years! (and I've stated about trying to manually focus (pushing down and holding) besides the green light and I've stated trying to adjust all the settings, so that's advanced.)
I am a photographer and have many camera's I use depending on the situation: family event, sports, etc. We all know having a camera on the phone is convenient, especially in situations we don't know we'll need a camera or when we go out in the eve to a restaurant or bar, so it fits in our pocket and is an all in one.
We're not comparing this to itself (as being the first cellphone camera capability ever made so we should deal with it as it's a phone first) or a dang stand alone camera, we're comparing this to PHONES THAT HAVE HAD CAMERA'S ON THEM FOR YEARS AND ARE BETTER THAN THIS (the newest, latest, greatest, expensive phone out).
You're right to say complain to Motorola, I did. I hope tons do instead of these forums.
You're right to say there will probably be an update, BUT REMEMBER, you only have 14 days to return it!!!! If they don't have an update, or it doesn't fix it, we're screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOTTOM LINE, this phone is UNSAT!!!!!!!!!
It CAN'T TAKE PICTURES in LOW LIGHT SETTINGS (and no you can change down the MPto like 5) LIKE THE REST OF THE OLDER PHONES CAN!! (we tested it under the same conditions using an old Incredible 1 and an I-Phone 4.) And that's not even including the other problems many have said (as we're talking an essential basic here that non-smartphones/first smartphones had, not advanced stuff we'd like to have/see.)
SAD!! -- Bionic pictures by portableb - Photobucket
Besides poor picures, light, flash, focus, you can even see two of us three focused and a third not. (once again, green box, advance settings (which is why there's multiple shots of the same picture) and other smartphones used with WAY better results.)

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Easy solution: If the camera is that important to you, don't get locked in. Return it before the 14 days is up. Then, if they ever are able to improve it with a software update, re-evaluate.

mopar

Reaction score
2011-09-11_19-02-46_266.jpg. Took this with my bionic.

Reaction score
So apparently i must be one of those jackasses you describe in your reply. Looking @ your photos, of the dozen or so photos ive taken so far, NONE of then look as bad as yours. The low light conditions and god aweful bar light fixture in the 4th pic doesnt surprise me with your photos. If youre a photographer, you should know better. How great would a camera with a kit lens and no accessories bode under the same conditions? Youd either get over glare from direct flash, or camera shake because of slower shutter speeds. If you plan on going through this crusade, then at least attempt to prove your point. Take a pic with the bionic, then snap that same pic with your older, wonder cell/camera. You might see a difference, but certainly not a marginal difference. The first pic indoors? I cant figure out how you pulled that one off either chief. The ffc on the DB can take a pic 2x as good.

Like a previous poster said just return it. Dont expect a fix as my d1 took horrible pics without it ever being resolved. Wait for the next device, and take a photography class while youre waiting. Some companies have their strengths and weaknesses. If this is something you cant live without on your phone, then dont buy it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gsDroid

Reaction score
I have been very pleased with the quality of the pictures I've taken on the bionic. They are definitely better than any phone camera I have ever had. Many of the poor quality shots shown in the thread have been obviously not in focus, which I suspect is the shooter's problem, not the camera's. Maybe some cameras came with bad sensors. I suppose much of this is very subjective, but my bionic takes very good pictures and video. I happen to really like the screen, even though I can see some pixilation if I try hard to look for it. I'm completely satisfied with my decision to go bionic.

portermac

Reaction score
I think the camera is better than my d1 and as good as my wives thunderbolt. Everything is better than my d1 as a matter of fact. I just have a few bugs that will be fixed shortly with an update. If the phone bothers some of you that much well you better hurry up and take it back to verizon. Just remember any smart phone you will get will have some problems and will need updates to clear them up. Motorola has a good reputation for taking care of their phones with updates, others not so much.

82DMC12

Reaction score
I have been very pleased with the quality of the pictures I've taken on the bionic. They are definitely better than any phone camera I have ever had. Many of the poor quality shots shown in the thread have been obviously not in focus, which I suspect is the shooter's problem, not the camera's. Maybe some cameras came with bad sensors. I suppose much of this is very subjective, but my bionic takes very good pictures and video. I happen to really like the screen, even though I can see some pixilation if I try hard to look for it. I'm completely satisfied with my decision to go bionic.

Same here. Once I figured out the green box, my pictures are looking great. As for the screen.... well it looks awesome to me, and every person I've shown it to, whom I would consider to be somewhat into phones like I am, thinks the screen is good also. I was out biking on Sunday during the afternoon and pulled the phone out of my pocket a few times to send a text, sent a few pics of things I saw on my ride, and changed songs. The screen in the sunlight was totally clear and I didn't have to find shade to see what I was doing. Very happy with this phone.

jseah

Reaction score
So apparently i must be one of those jackasses you describe in your reply. Looking @ your photos, of the dozen or so photos ive taken so far, NONE of then look as bad as yours. The low light conditions and god aweful bar light fixture in the 4th pic doesnt surprise me with your photos. If youre a photographer, you should know better. How great would a camera with a kit lens and no accessories bode under the same conditions? Youd either get over glare from direct flash, or camera shake because of slower shutter speeds. If you plan on going through this crusade, then at least attempt to prove your point. Take a pic with the bionic, then snap that same pic with your older, wonder cell/camera. You might see a difference, but certainly not a marginal difference. The first pic indoors? I cant figure out how you pulled that one off either chief. The ffc on the DB can take a pic 2x as good.

Like a previous poster said just return it. Dont expect a fix as my d1 took horrible pics without it ever being resolved. Wait for the next device, and take a photography class while youre waiting. Some companies have their strengths and weaknesses. If this is something you cant live without on your phone, then dont buy it.

Those pictures reminds me of the pictures taken with an OG Droid. When it was first released the camera had that nasty bug in it where the camera would never focus properly. Even after it was fixed, low light pictures taken using available light and no flash were terribly grainy. Pictures taken in bright daylight were fairly decent. Looks like Motorola hasn't learned and haven't really improved their cameras. That said, pretty much all camera phones take lousy, grainy low light pictures. My Thunderbolt takes really good pictures, and yet the low light shots are grainy as well. And for the best shots, you can't use any zoom at all.

mopar

Reaction score
The settings are stock out of the box. Pictures were taking in landscape mode. My droid x, took good photos also. May play around with the settings. Over all it's not a bad phone screen looks good also. Maybe the ones that are having problems just got ahold of a bad pbone:blink:

C

Communisum

This post isnt family friendly, the word "sucks" is offensive and this needs to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.