Why does the Droid 3 suck?

Bdog

Reaction score
I got the D3 back in August. My girlfriend loved the keyboard and got one last month. Both phones are complete rubbish. I can't do a damn thing on them! Can't ever find GPS. Camera crashes the phones after taking nearly an entire minute to take a picture. Call quality is absolutely terrible. Text messages resize pictures in the event they ever do take any. The only thing this thing is good for is texting. There's no damn way I've gotten 2 bad phones. The odds are nearly impossible, unless they ALL suck this bad. I've seen unsolved instances of every problem, but never together. I got the worst of it all. Twice. It's crap.

Reaction score
Odd my droid has been above my expectations. Have you tried rooting it? Installing a different camera or different location app. If so it (not trying to be rude honestly ) could be you. There has been many accounts where the user isn't using the phone correctly. Yes yes I know rooting it is not correct use. But it can fix a lot of standard issues ie bad camera or gps.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

svickstc

Reaction score
Ya try rooting I felt the same way you did when I first got my d3 and after some reading before I gave up I tried rooting and loading a custom rom and applications...

My phone is awesome now...running steel droid 3.0...things are only going to get better since the developers have just started their work on the d3

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score
How do you use yours? This isn't my first phone, so either I've suddenly gone retarded, or this isn't a freaking phone. (sorry if this sounds rude, I'm very frustrated by this phone, and know enough to know better than calling it a PEBCAC issue)

My Droid 1 I had nearly 2 years worked flawlessly. Camera, while not a very good quality, took pictures, saved pictures, didn't crash my phone, was able to be sent without being resized to look like a Razr sent it. My GPS found my location every time unless I was in a tunnel. Yes, even when my phone didn't have any signal, it knew where I was, and didn't get me lost and miss important job interviews. The call quality made people think I was talking through a paper towel roll, but I heard them fine. I wasn't asking "what?!" at every sentence. My only complaint with that phone was the keyboard, and I'm about ready to just switch back.

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score
Ya try rooting I felt the same way you did when I first got my d3 and after some reading before I gave up I tried rooting and loading a custom rom and applications...

My phone is awesome now...running steel droid 3.0...things are only going to get better since the developers have just started their work on the d3

My biggest question is, does the GPS work on custom ROMS?

aldrichg9

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to root to fix problems - I root and flash new roms for my enjoyment...

OG droid didn't seem to have as many GPS issues.

svickstc

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to root to fix problems - I root and flash new roms for my enjoyment...

OG droid didn't seem to have as many GPS issues.

Well it fixed a lot of the bug issues I was having and made the phone much smoother and faster all around, I think that is the fun in it!

spillner

Reaction score
You got 2 bad phones. After the update my phone has been nothing but amazing and im not rooted. Camera works as it should and I've always had to resize pictures, even on my OG DROID.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely two bad phones.. my Phone worked amazingly when I got it, and root and flashing ROMs to make my already awesome phone even more awesome. Even though it's going bye bye once the Nexus is out.

celtic11

Reaction score
The gps issue was the only problem I had with this phone. Another user suggested I wipe cache partition and I did and my gps has worked flawlessly ever since.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

cwbcpa

Reaction score
That really sucks that you have had so many problems. It is amazing that you have 2 phones with those issues. I have had my Droid 3 for about a month now and I use the GPS almost daily and have not had a single issue with it. In fact I am amazed at how fast it does a search pulls up directions. The camera I will agree is beyond awful. It is so slow that it is almost useless. I don't take many pictures with it, but it would be nice to have it work when I do. That really is the only complaint though. Everything else is quick and accurate. I would maybe try one more Droid 3 and if that doesn't do it then move on to something else if you can.

LT*

Reaction score
I also have 2 D3s in the house and since the update, they both work pretty much flawlessly. I know you said you don't think you could have gotten 2 bad phones, but you just may have.

TyrantII

Reaction score
You got 2 bad phones. After the update my phone has been nothing but amazing and im not rooted. Camera works as it should and I've always had to resize pictures, even on my OG DROID.

Ditto. No suckage here, the phone has simply been amazing cept for a few bugs.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
> Can't ever find GPS.

Try clearing you system cache partition. That may help. If it ever does happen though, toggling off and on the GPS and other location services should rectify it. Make sure your Maps app is up to date.

> Camera crashes the phones after taking nearly an entire minute to take a picture.

Clearing the system cache partition may help. You may need a factory reset.

> Call quality is absolutely terrible.

Turn off voice privacy. Turn on roaming. Set to CDMA only mode. Dial *22899 and wait for it to hang up to update PRLs. Do this once/month.

> Text messages resize pictures in the event they ever do take any.

Not sure what this is. Maybe try Handcent or some other texting app.

In general, do not put things on the auto-end list, do not use an auto task killer, do not use antivirus, look at what apps run on boot and uninstall anything that doesn't need to and find an alternative. As a next to last resort, before getting a replacement, I would try a factory reset. Slowly config your phone over time to see if you can find the culprit app/setting.