Bionic Camera Picture Quality

Withdemon

Reaction score
Right after reading this thread I've taken a dozen of photos to see if my camera was having any issues. Now it's turning into an OCD, I can't stop looking, can't stop checking, WHAT IF MINE IS BROKEN AND I DON"T KNOW?!?!?! :O

I do have to agree, the camera SUCKS, maybe it's the screen, but the quality is awful. Maybe it looks better on the computer, but I would love it to look nice on my device as well. =/

zubie

Reaction score
My camera looks nothing like that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wooddale

Reaction score
When you double tap to xoom or wharever it does is the picture supposed to get so big it is distorted?what good is that? I really think something is wrong with the camera. Any one else camera do this?thieving

kath00

Reaction score
My Bionic's camera is horrible. Worse than the Droid X I had before, which I also thought was pretty aweful when I first got the phone 2 years ago!

The pix are super grainy and the images are very washed out. I downloaded 3 different photo apps (ended up buying PhotoZoom) but it is still less than stellar.

Thank goodness I don't use my phone for pictures often. Otherwise this would be a deal breaker for me.

Here are some pix and some comparison shots with my Droid X (and my Canon 7D). Comments below each pix.

Droid X and Bionic Pix - kath00's Photos

portableb

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what anyone says about wait for the green box, blah blah, you're right to say it takes CRAPPY PHOTOS!!!
Grainy, blurry, etc. I've been posting in my site about it since day one (and got a new one and complained to Verizon and Motorola) and was looking for my post to post an official report from Phone Dog and I came across your post. Dude, take it back like I"m going to. NO firmware update in the works. Pictures is an ESSENTIAL BASIC feather (unlike advance features like 4G or new phone problems like choppy swipes, etc.) that phones did before even smartphones. EVERYONE that took pics of the SAME thing (even I-phone 4 which is only 5MP) they came out WAY better. REMEMBER, they delayed this 8 months and as a price point at $299!!! Unacceptable!!!

[h=1]Review: Motorola Droid Bionic[/h]FormBasicsDockExtrasVideoWrap-UpComments
MediaCameraPhotos/VideoBrowse/CustomizeExtras
Photos

Because of the slow and odd focusing behavior, about 50% of the shots I took were out-of-focus. Only if you hold the Bionic absolutely still for several seconds before and after shooting a picture do you have a small chance of an acceptable image. This is a big, big problem. Having small, portable cameras are all about being able to quickly snap images of events that might otherwise be missed. With the Droid Bionic, try as you might, you're probably going to miss them anyway.

wooddale

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what anyone says about wait for the green box, blah blah, you're right to say it takes CRAPPY PHOTOS!!!
Grainy, blurry, etc. I've been posting in my site about it since day one (and got a new one and complained to Verizon and Motorola) and was looking for my post to post an official report from Phone Dog and I came across your post. Dude, take it back like I"m going to. NO firmware update in the works. Pictures is an ESSENTIAL BASIC feather (unlike advance features like 4G or new phone problems like choppy swipes, etc.) that phones did before even smartphones. EVERYONE that took pics of the SAME thing (even I-phone 4 which is only 5MP) they came out WAY better. REMEMBER, they delayed this 8 months and as a price point at $299!!! Unacceptable!!!

Review: Motorola Droid Bionic

FormBasicsDockExtrasVideoWrap-UpComments
MediaCameraPhotos/VideoBrowse/CustomizeExtras
Photos

Because of the slow and odd focusing behavior, about 50% of the shots I took were out-of-focus. Only if you hold the Bionic absolutely still for several seconds before and after shooting a picture do you have a small chance of an acceptable image. This is a big, big problem. Having small, portable cameras are all about being able to quickly snap images of events that might otherwise be missed. With the Droid Bionic, try as you might, you're probably going to miss them anyway.[/QUOT

Purchased the FX camera app doesnt change the quality of the pictures but fixes the blurry picture stuff you dont have to wait for the green window. You can snap pics pretty much at will. Downside it costs $5. Someone mentioned another app Viginite or something like that didnt ck that one yet.

bronskrat

Reaction score
Has anyone tried comparing the differences with the camera presets (auto, portrait, landscape, sport, night portrait, sunset, macro, steady shot vs. 6MP vs. 8MP)? Is there a review out there that does this?

sithc

Reaction score
Steady Shot

Has anyone tried comparing the differences with the camera presets (auto, portrait, landscape, sport, night portrait, sunset, macro, steady shot vs. 6MP vs. 8MP)? Is there a review out there that does this?

Yes, like many others I noticed my Bionic camera was slow and blurry about 50% of the time.
I did play with the scene and noticed that the "Steady Shot" option (Hand Icon) seemed to do the trick for now.
Only thing is, photo becomes a little dark but atleast the photos were not as blurry.
I haven't played much futher then that though.

Morgeu

Reaction score
I was having the same problem until I went into the camera settings and set the auto focus on. This fixed my problem with focus and my pics are amazing. For some reason auto focus is not automatically on. I now use the app CameraZoom FX. This is an amazing app with stable shot and again...auto focus which is a must. Hope this helps. :)

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm a camera snob. I want the best picture quality, saturation, etc. My Droid X took the best pics I ever seen. Here are some pics taken with the Bionic.

Upclose of TV image.

2011-09-17-19-52-32-481.jpg

Sunset shot (yes that's a VZW tower)

2011-09-18-17-58-01-764.jpg

Cloudy day

2011-09-16-10-32-06-497.jpg

xmguy

Reaction score
One thing I don't like is there is NO way to change the ISO setting in any AFTERMARKET app.

jthorpe

Reaction score
Yep I also agree this camera sucks. My Droid X was like a Nikon SLR compared to this piece of crap. Camera shake, blah blah blah... Nothing like that. The camera sucks, period. I remember when the OG Droid first came out. It was also having issues that were solved with an OS update. This one needs serious help.