Bing going to be standard on Motorola phones now.

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
Bing going to be standard in china.

EDIT....CHINA ONLY!

Motorola to Add Microsoft's Bing to Smart Phones - ABC News

Motorola Inc. said Thursday that it will add Microsoft Corp.'s Bing search and map functions to its smart phones that use Google Inc.'s Android operating software.
Motorola said it start by rolling out the services on smart phones in China

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a big deal for the users that are on forums such as this. We'll all just switch to Google anyway.

It's just a way for Motorola to make some money. Personally, as much as I love the Droid, I don't know if Motorola will be my next phone choice anyway. It's the first Motorola I've had that wasn't terrible...so I'll probably not press my luck hoping for another good phone after the Droid. As soon as LG jumps in the Android market, I'll probably go to them.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No no no.....that is Motorola doing it in China. We will continue to have a Google phone.

OP
N

nitrohuffer

Reaction score
Is this going to be put into place when the 2.1 update is released? If so can google be added back on without rooting? I'm waiting got the update from verizon rather than rooting. I'm not super high tech and learning android as i've only had my phone a couple of weeks.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
This is likely only because of the issues Google is having in China...probably not something that will affect us here.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola putting Bing on some Chinese Android phones in lieu of Google
Posted on Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 by Phil Nickinson

This is another one of those deals that's likely to raise a few eyebrows, or at least produce some unwarranted exclamation points. The long and short of it is that Microsoft and Motorola have come to a deal that will make Bing the default search engine on Android devices released in China in the first quarter.

Here's another way to write that headline: "Manufacturer does what it wants with its own phones."

While it's the first time we can think of Bing being put onto an Android device by default, it's still in the same ballpark as AT&T going with Yahoo on the Backflip. And far be it from Microsoft to put its product on every platform imaginable, right? Besides, this may just be payback for all those Windows Phones that are seeing Android ported onto them. [PR Newswire]

This is the story. It's not going to be on our phones it's going to be in China.

Brokn68

Reaction score
I don't see how this is a problem even if it comes to the US.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First, it's not going to happen. Look at your phone it says Google right on it. :)

It would be a major problem for me. I have everything set up in Google and I want nothing to do with Microsoft.

Brokn68

Reaction score

First, it's not going to happen. Look at your phone it says Google right on it. :)

It would be a major problem for me. I have everything set up in Google and I want nothing to do with Microsoft.

I was referring to the end user will always have an option to to use or not use the " Bing bookmark on the phones' mobile browsers and a new search "widget," or mini application,"
I'll never ever use Amazon MP3 app on my phone, but it's there.

rharrisky

Reaction score
My husband has a Motorola Rival, and yes, Bing is the default search engine. I HATE it! (Not the phone, BING). I've tried every way I can find to set Google as the search engine, and if it can be done, I haven't found it. I disagree with the way they make people use Bing. That alone makes me want to avoid it at all costs. My daughter has downloaded something on her computer that somehow brought Bing with it, and it keeps re-setting itself as the default search engine. She's uninstalled Bing multiple times and it keeps coming back. That and Bing forcing itself on my husbands phone has turned me against it completely. Thank God it's not like that with my Droid. I'm a Google fan all the way!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My daughter has downloaded something on her computer that somehow brought Bing with it, and it keeps re-setting itself as the default search engine. She's uninstalled Bing multiple times and it keeps coming back. That and Bing forcing itself on my husbands phone has turned me against it completely. Thank God it's not like that with my Droid. I'm a Google fan all the way!

Just add the lines:

127.0.0.1 bing.com
127.0.0.1 Bing

to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file

And you will never see bing on the computer :D

th9203

Reaction score
That little IP Address tip for effectlvely killing Bing is worth it's weight!
Thank you :icon_ banana:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That little IP Address tip for effectlvely killing Bing is worth it's weight!
Thank you :icon_ banana:

You can do the same for any website.