Verizon to force Bing on everyone soon?

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
lol - how about, vzw in bed with MS, DROIDs provide video.

Even better... "VZW and MS force search deal but don't even provide kiss to customers"

This is just another reason I'm glad I moved away from the Storm. Yea I could load up the browser to search but who wants to do all that?

mrdroid

Reaction score
My Tour still uses Google as the default. The bing search plugin isn't even compatible with the browser. Does this only affect Storm?

boatman2220

Reaction score
We'll be seeing even more former Blackberry owners coming over to the dark side.

Mojo

Reaction score
What bothers me about this is if the user one day has a choice to use google, dictionary.com or what ever their choice was. Verizon should not take that choice away the next day. I could understand on future sold devices this happining. That way when buying a device, you have a choice. Takeing choice away is never good practice.

I am just happy I have a droid! So I am not effected by this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think, and I mean no disrespect to the OP, that the idea is ludicrous.

Microsoft is in competition with Google. Why in the world would Google allow Microsoft's attempt to lure people away from their Google search engine to Bing? It's like McDonalds handing out coupons for free Whoppers at Burger King. It just ain't going to happen.

I think there would be a higher probability of iPhone coming to Verizon, and I give that 0 chance. It just doesn't make sense.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think, and I mean no disrespect to the OP, that the idea is ludicrous.

Microsoft is in competition with Google. Why in the world would Google allow Microsoft's attempt to lure people away from their Google search engine to Bing? It's like McDonalds handing out coupons for free Whoppers at Burger King. It just ain't going to happen.

I think there would be a higher probability of iPhone coming to Verizon, and I give that 0 chance. It just doesn't make sense.
i'm not following your reasoning. the deal was already struck. there could be a clause for google devices or a simple clause that states that phones that don't support the transition aren't mandated by the agreement.

either way, it's a smart move for both companies as MS gets the exposure and Vzw gets $$$.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I see where Microsoft would try to make any deals possible.
Firefox has overtaken Explorer as a browser, Google has passed Yahoo and Microsoft in search engine. Now Android is becoming a threat to Apple and others.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Boatman... check out the pre-production of Internet Explorer 9.

Firefox will no longer be king of the browser war. IE's "Java rendering" and loading of web pages is blowing away the competition and IE will be the fastest browser on Windows. They are taking back the crown.

I use Safari on my Macbook so it is irrelevant. But beware the sleeping giant. When Microsoft wants to accomplish something, they have the means to do so...that is why I say if Google is not careful with their actions in the cell industry (trying to promote the Android OS and then come out with their own hardware to stab other manufacturers in the back), Windows Mobile will be waiting to pounce with an upgrade and complete overhaul due to RIM/Blackberry's complete fumbling of potential.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see IE ever overtaking Firefox... and considering Fennec (mobile Firefox) is on it's way, the base for Firefox users is gonna jump up again when that releases.

My buddy has an 8330 (BB Curve) and he was complaining about Bing being pushed the other day. I'm so glad I left BB... I can't believe they'd force a search engine upon anyone. Business wise I can understand but it's too dictatorship-esque.
BB has fumbled... there OS is stale... but Microsoft is not going to overhaul BB's OS... they've already got WM that they still need to perfect... they're not gonna jump on another project. BB also goes thru BB servers... which is why they have the security they do... but in order for Microsoft to take over they'd have to cut out the BB servers... which will never happen.

Firefox is king, and will be. Microsoft, tho a giant, is not a mobile phone giant.

Bing is a mute point on a Google phone however :) Thankfully!

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Firefox has a tiny user base compared to IE.

Not that this discussion is supposed to be about FF vs. IE

ff-35-ie-7-asdf.jpg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Firefox has a tiny user base compared to IE.

Not that this discussion is supposed to be about FF vs. IE

ff-35-ie-7-asdf.jpg
in fairness, i'd be willing to bet that if you stacked the overall IE users against the over all firefox users, IE would win. the majority of the majority that uses IE, don't know that there are options or reasons for switching. plus, many companies are forced into certain browser versions.

OP
atomicwedgie

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
in fairness, i'd be willing to bet that if you stacked the overall IE users against the over all firefox users, IE would win. the majority of the majority that uses IE, don't know that there are options or reasons for switching. plus, many companies are forced into certain browser versions.

Of course... look at how many versions of IE are there vs. FF. My point is, he said the FF user base was tiny in comparison. While there are obviously more IE users, I wouldn't call the FF base tiny in comparison.