biggest piece of Cr$P phone

jloya

Reaction score
I look at it like this, whatever happened in the past...the phone being bad, people at VZW being lame etc etc is in the past, nothing you can change or do about it now....you now have a few options.....first off being a replacement refurb...obviously thats not a very satisfying thought as you really never had a chance to enjoy a "new" working X but as of right now theres really not much to lose by getting a refurb...worst comes to worst its a terrible phone and you opt for another OR you get a great working phone and fall in the love with X as many people have

option 2: you dont want to root your phone because your scared you will mess something up...well if your phones already messed and your contemplating a replacement why not root it? you dnt have anything to loose. There is even an app out that you can download to root your phone for you...cant get much easier than that....so you root your phone, maybe try a custom ROM? see if that resolves any issues....if it does than awesome...you have your original X in great working condition and now your rooted..even better :) now if the problems still persist with the phone call VZW and get your refurb...again the end result will be you with a working X

so you know what VZW can do for you, and you know what you can do for you...so pick a path and check it out...from the sounds of things its only going to get better which ever way you choose

kevinkar

Reaction score
Did you do a factory (hard) reset after taking the 2.2 update? I had my X delivered with 2.1 and it worked great. Loaded it up with some apps and everything was fine until I got the much anticipated 2.2. At that point it acted sluggish, crashed a couple of times and got me snagged on the ongoing WiFi connect/disconnect issue.

Next day I bit the bullet and hard reset the phone. I then reloaded the apps I had previously installed, restored my contacts from the online backup, and made one change to my router and it's been fine ever since.

My plan of action for future updates is to take the phone, back up everything, perform a hard reset, take any new updates (2.3? 2.4?) perform another hard reset after that and THEN use the phone by restoring data, apps etc. Since the X worked oddly right after the 2.2 update, I can only assume a full hard reset is probably a worst case scenario but a good idea nonetheless.

If you have not yet done a hard reset, I'd suggest biting the same bullet and trying it first before seeking out a refurbished unit.

Kevin

elessar123

Reaction score
Registered to share my similar experiences. I had gotten a Droid X on launch, and it worked great.

I upgraded it at 12:01EST when 2.2 came out, and things started going wrong. On my particular unit, the main problems were with dropping Wifi/3G, and freezing/rebooting. Also, I used to be able to have reliable service with 90dBm signals on 2.1, but I don't afterward. I did a factory reset, and it didn't help at all. And I did not root my phone, in case anyone's wondering.

However, most of the freezing/rebooting went away after I stopped using Battery Manager, which solved my problems with 3) and 6). This came after a bunch of trials running nothing but Launcher Pro and Real Signal. This was also confirmed to be a problem by Motorola.

I finally gave up and asked for a replacement. They sent me one overnight FedEx. They told me only the chip would be from a previous unit, and the shell would be new and scratch free. It was, but my right rocker button doesn't feel right -- it's about a millimeter higher than it should be, and really stiff. I'm not liking that they gave me a lesser physical quality phone replacement, so I see where you're coming from. However, the Wifi no longer drops every 10-15 minutes, and 3G hasn't either. But I've been using the new one for less than 24 hours, so to be fair, I haven't had too much time to confirm everything.

But it seems to run faster too, and Launcher Pro is showing it's using less memory on each screen, by a few megabytes on each screen (same exact icons and widgets).

So the replacement basically (AFAIK) fixed my 5), 8), and 9). Is the replacement worth it? Definitely, because it now works a lot better. Was it fair that I got a refurb for their broken software/hardware? Not really, but at least they're willing to give you a refurb. Am I 100% satisfied with the replacement? Other than the rocker, I'd say yes.

And I have a feeling 2.2 on my old phone shortened the life of my battery, because after 2.2, it heated up randomly and froze, before I knew Battery Monitor wasn't compatible with 2.2.

One thing I did notice immediately is that on my bad phone, I could use My Verizon or whatever data monitoring app on Wifi, but not on the replacement phone. So naturally, I suspected that to be an effect to bad update/hardware. If I find anything else, I'll try to remember to post.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Registered to share my similar experiences. I had gotten a Droid X on launch, and it worked great.

I upgraded it at 12:01EST when 2.2 came out, and things started going wrong. On my particular unit, the main problems were with dropping Wifi/3G, and freezing/rebooting. Also, I used to be able to have reliable service with 90dBm signals on 2.1, but I don't afterward. I did a factory reset, and it didn't help at all. And I did not root my phone, in case anyone's wondering.

However, most of the freezing/rebooting went away after I stopped using Battery Manager, which solved my problems with 3) and 6). This came after a bunch of trials running nothing but Launcher Pro and Real Signal. This was also confirmed to be a problem by Motorola.

I finally gave up and asked for a replacement. They sent me one overnight FedEx. They told me only the chip would be from a previous unit, and the shell would be new and scratch free. It was, but my right rocker button doesn't feel right -- it's about a millimeter higher than it should be, and really stiff. I'm not liking that they gave me a lesser physical quality phone replacement, so I see where you're coming from. However, the Wifi no longer drops every 10-15 minutes, and 3G hasn't either. But I've been using the new one for less than 24 hours, so to be fair, I haven't had too much time to confirm everything.

But it seems to run faster too, and Launcher Pro is showing it's using less memory on each screen, by a few megabytes on each screen (same exact icons and widgets).

So the replacement basically (AFAIK) fixed my 5), 8), and 9). Is the replacement worth it? Definitely, because it now works a lot better. Was it fair that I got a refurb for their broken software/hardware? Not really, but at least they're willing to give you a refurb. Am I 100% satisfied with the replacement? Other than the rocker, I'd say yes.

And I have a feeling 2.2 on my old phone shortened the life of my battery, because after 2.2, it heated up randomly and froze, before I knew Battery Monitor wasn't compatible with 2.2.

One thing I did notice immediately is that on my bad phone, I could use My Verizon or whatever data monitoring app on Wifi, but not on the replacement phone. So naturally, I suspected that to be an effect to bad update/hardware. If I find anything else, I'll try to remember to post.
Thanks for sharing!

Glad you decided to register and join the forums!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP, have you gone in to your local Verizon store and talked to someone, or did you call customer service? I have had horrible luck on the phone, but Ive been a long time customer at my local store and everyone knows me there, and I have found they are more likely to help me. I had one of my favorite CS girls yell at assurion for me, because they (assurion) felt an Eris was a comparable replacement for my droid. She told me if I didnt get my replacement in 3 days, to come see her, and I would walk out with a new phone. Get to know your stores employees, and it will almost always pay off in the long run for you. Good luck!

Jolly

Reaction score
I have a DX also and I know you probably have done this but a friend of mine was having a signal issue and I told him to dial *228 and update roaming and it fixed the problem. It is possible you have a hardware issue with the phone you could contact Motorola and do a Warrenty claim.

Sent from my DROIDX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is out of the topic kinda but if you do stay with an android phone and continue to visit forums please be more creative then.

Cr$p, its uncouth and shows your limited ability to express your feelings.

Jolly

Reaction score
Jloya has a point. Rooting is the best thing I ever did to my OG Droid. The DX stayed unrooted from the time I received it from Fed Ex at work to the time it took me to get home and plug it up to the Computer.

Sent from my DROIDX

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
Froyo did cause some problems for the Dx (and D2) but fixes are on their way. This had nothing to do with you, it's a Google issue.

The D2 came with 2.2, it never had 2.1. It didn't cause problems with Froyo. We are having a few issues with 2.3 but nothing major.

Jolly

Reaction score
Hold on Hook are you saying you know that they're testing Gingerbread on the D2 now?

mkstn

Reaction score
I think that I would much rather have the referb than deal with all the issues that you are having.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I have tried and tried with this phone. I was excited when I first got it after moving from a BB 8830. However, now that it has been months since I originally got it on launch day... I have come to the conclusion this phone is horrible.

Here are my reasons:
1) half my calls go directly to VM when I "receive" them.
2) phone is sluggish and freezes.
3) I have to reboot (battery pull) every other day.
4) Apps are horrible and suck you in with "free" only get you to upgrade to an even crappier app that requires you to buy the "better" version that actually works.
5) Emails do not always show up on phone.
6) Apps freeze up and lock up the phone so I have to pull the battery to get the phone to work.
7) Verizon's horrible customer service that tells me that my new phone will be replaced with a "refirb" if I do anything about it.
8) Software upgrade to "Foyo" has rendered my phone in a worse condition.
9) Constantly loosing 3g for 1x service.
10) phone is loaded with bloatware that I cannot remove without causing problems with my phone with a "root".

I'm sure that 90% of you will blast away so go at it. But I'm sure there are more people out there like me that have major problems with this phone.

I hate to say it, but this is a scenario, if true, that is fully your fault. Yes, you heard me correctly.

You have failed to do your due diligence. Your first course of action SHOULD HAVE been to get a new Droid X. There are always bad apples for every tech product. It is the nature of the beast.

Your experience is not even representative of that for someone with a FULL WORKING Droid X. You should have gotten it replaced. This is your fault so you can't blame anyone but yourself. There are no questions about it.

Edit: Can you take as picture of your Droid X? Your post is a little unbelievable so I'm thinking you don't even really have one. It seems like many people who DONT ASK FOR ADVICE by instead choose to DEFAKE AND DEGRADE a tech product are TROLLS

It happens all the time in these forums, and you just so happen to sound like one of people.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm sorry but what part of "refirb" phone did you not read in the original post? I have had conversations with verizon and I get the same answer.... we can give you a refirb phone but you are not eligible for a new one unless you pay full price.
What part of "Certified Like New" didn't you understand in the contract when you got the phone?