biggest piece of Cr$P phone

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as refurbs are concerned when I received my refurb Droid 1, it was in perfect condition. No one posts about good refurbs though, you only hear about the bad ones.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

GeneralZod

Reaction score
To the OP... I too would opt for a refurb. I can appreciate your frustration, with both the device and VZW. That said, the platform itself is a strong one, you just had the misfortune of picking one of the short straws that exist in every batch. I too came from a BB, and this thing just blows it away. If a factory reset hasn't done the trick, go for the refurb option. Good luck.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here are my reasons:
1) half my calls go directly to VM when I "receive" them.
2) phone is sluggish and freezes.
3) I have to reboot (battery pull) every other day.
4) Apps are horrible and suck you in with "free" only get you to upgrade to an even crappier app that requires you to buy the "better" version that actually works.
5) Emails do not always show up on phone.
6) Apps freeze up and lock up the phone so I have to pull the battery to get the phone to work.
7) Verizon's horrible customer service that tells me that my new phone will be replaced with a "refirb" if I do anything about it.
8) Software upgrade to "Foyo" has rendered my phone in a worse condition.
9) Constantly loosing 3g for 1x service.
10) phone is loaded with bloatware that I cannot remove without causing problems with my phone with a "root".
I can only relate to number 10 which doesn't bother me at all. I never use them and they don't effect phones performance. My original phone had defective camera so I had to wait a week for best buy to get restocked. Second phone is flawless in my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly concerned about a refurb. I have received 3 over the years and only 1 didn't look perfect. I think the reason for that was it was a very old phone at the time and their stock was very low. The Samsung Rogue I received was absolutly perfect and far better then the one I gave them. I say give it a try.

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Mine works perfectly

My X works perfectly. I didn't add any task killers, etc. Did you do anything else to the phone that you haven't told us?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok I have tried and tried with this phone. I was excited when I first got it after moving from a BB 8830. However, now that it has been months since I originally got it on launch day... I have come to the conclusion this phone is horrible.

Here are my reasons:
4) Apps are horrible and suck you in with "free" only get you to upgrade to an even crappier app that requires you to buy the "better" version that actually works.
6) Apps freeze up and lock up the phone so I have to pull the battery to get the phone to work.
7) Verizon's horrible customer service that tells me that my new phone will be replaced with a "refirb" if I do anything about it.
10) phone is loaded with bloatware that I cannot remove without causing problems with my phone with a "root".

I'm sure that 90% of you will blast away so go at it. But I'm sure there are more people out there like me that have major problems with this phone.
1. *228 option 2? Maybe that'll help? could be a Verizon issue as well. Toss up on this one.
2. Something you've installed is causing this, either that or a bad device, in which case a refurb is a good option.
3. Bad device or bad apps. this is NOT normal. This is not a BlackBerry :)
4. Not to be mean, but this is your own fault, find better apps. I have no complaints. The Android app Market is still growing, but it's far from junk.
5. is this regarding your g-mail account? Or do you have another forwarded to the device? I agree this is frustrating and shouldn't be happening.
6. Bad apps again, just because it's available for download doesn't mean it's stable. Read app comments and user reviews, they'll help alleviate a lot of run ins like this.
7. Within 30 days of purchase there was no reason for them not to give you a brand new device, outside of that, a refurb is not a bad thing...
8. Froyo caused some issues with the Dx and D2... you're not alone, and this is unfortunate, but fixes are coming.
9. Verizon issue, service in your area? ... or could be bad device again.
10. I feel your pain here, bloatware is crapware.... rooting can alleviate the bloatware problem, but it shouldn't have to be this way IMO. This is a Moto/Verizon fail. (but it's all about money)

To me it seems like you may truly have gotten a bad device, in which case you should have replaced it, refurb or new, you will benefit greatly.

I agree it can be frustrating having bought a new device and then having to accept a refurb, but you're having so many issues I'd start there, you'll benefit from a fully functional device.

After that... start looking at your apps, you've got some junk apps installed somewhere I'm convinced. A complete list of all apps installed can help get the troubleshooting process started... members here will help you pinpoint the source (or possible sources)

Good luck!

OP
R

Robslaw

Reaction score
My X works perfectly. I didn't add any task killers, etc. Did you do anything else to the phone that you haven't told us?

Nope. Won't root b/c inevitably I would screw that up. So.. no haven't done anything except load some apps and upgrade the software when Froyo was released.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Nope. Won't root b/c inevitably I would screw that up. So.. no haven't done anything except load some apps and upgrade the software when Froyo was released.
Froyo did cause some problems for the Dx (and D2) but fixes are on their way. This had nothing to do with you, it's a Google issue.

OP
R

Robslaw

Reaction score
Ok I have tried and tried with this phone. I was excited when I first got it after moving from a BB 8830. However, now that it has been months since I originally got it on launch day... I have come to the conclusion this phone is horrible.

Here are my reasons:

I'm sure that 90% of you will blast away so go at it. But I'm sure there are more people out there like me that have major problems with this phone.
1. *228 option 2? Maybe that'll help? could be a Verizon issue as well. Toss up on this one.
2. Something you've installed is causing this, either that or a bad device, in which case a refurb is a good option.
3. Bad device or bad apps. this is NOT normal. This is not a BlackBerry :)
4. Not to be mean, but this is your own fault, find better apps. I have no complaints. The Android app Market is still growing, but it's far from junk.
5. is this regarding your g-mail account? Or do you have another forwarded to the device? I agree this is frustrating and shouldn't be happening.
6. Bad apps again, just because it's available for download doesn't mean it's stable. Read app comments and user reviews, they'll help alleviate a lot of run ins like this.
7. Within 30 days of purchase there was no reason for them not to give you a brand new device, outside of that, a refurb is not a bad thing...
8. Froyo caused some issues with the Dx and D2... you're not alone, and this is unfortunate, but fixes are coming.
9. Verizon issue, service in your area? ... or could be bad device again.
10. I feel your pain here, bloatware is crapware.... rooting can alleviate the bloatware problem, but it shouldn't have to be this way IMO. This is a Moto/Verizon fail. (but it's all about money)

To me it seems like you may truly have gotten a bad device, in which case you should have replaced it, refurb or new, you will benefit greatly.

I agree it can be frustrating having bought a new device and then having to accept a refurb, but you're having so many issues I'd start there, you'll benefit from a fully functional device.

After that... start looking at your apps, you've got some junk apps installed somewhere I'm convinced. A complete list of all apps installed can help get the troubleshooting process started... members here will help you pinpoint the source (or possible sources)

Good luck!

Thank you. Trying the *228 thing now. As for the apps I agree, that's on me as far as the ones I have downloaded and then upgraded.

I can try going back to verizon to see what they will do. Perhaps this time I can get someone that has some compassion... or at least doesn't care about giving me a new phone.

OP
R

Robslaw

Reaction score
To the OP... I too would opt for a refurb. I can appreciate your frustration, with both the device and VZW. That said, the platform itself is a strong one, you just had the misfortune of picking one of the short straws that exist in every batch. I too came from a BB, and this thing just blows it away. If a factory reset hasn't done the trick, go for the refurb option. Good luck.

Don't get me wrong, compared to my 8830 the X is better. Its just frustrating the heck out of me that I have to pull my battery and jump through hoops to get it to work.

Example, the other night in the local home Depot, I'm standing next to two people talking away on their phones and mine can't get a signal. Next thing I get is a msg that says "sorry you call can not go through, however 911 service is available to you" pop up on my screen.

avt123

Reaction score
Sorry your X is having problems. I have had the same DX I bought for the VZW store on launch day and never had any problems. 2.1, 2.2 and rubix 1.6 all have worked great on my device. Stock or official has made no difference, my X works perfectly. Hopefully there is more that can be done for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you. Trying the *228 thing now. As for the apps I agree, that's on me as far as the ones I have downloaded and then upgraded.

I can try going back to verizon to see what they will do. Perhaps this time I can get someone that has some compassion... or at least doesn't care about giving me a new phone.

Even if you can't get brand new, a refurb would benefit you greatly. A lot of your problems seem to point to a bad device.... Only one way around this, replace it!

From there we can start the troubleshooting of installed apps...

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion and obviously not everyone is going to love the same device.... but you haven't really gotten a fair shot at enjoying the Dx (as you should)

horseshoe9

Reaction score
#9: Losing signal dance: 3G/1X/3G has been a feature on mine. It is also a regular topic at the Mot board from people all around the country whether near a tower or not. I have four near me and inside house the flutters begin, but at the Mot boards the flutters are happening in the oddest places where strong signals are located on other V smart phones. Once I leave house and get close to main artery fluttering stops. Motorola blames it on carrier, Verizon blames it on device or things out of their control...