best new phone

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong the nexus is a good phone just doesn't have good battery in my eyes and the razor has better radios. Say thank you to Motorola for that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the problem is the razr or razr maxx won't be around for 2 years to last until my next upgrade. I want a phone that will be supported and upgraded until my next upgrade date in addition to the better radio and screen brightness outside.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would still go with the razor max! Unless you want a 4.5" or bigger screen. Because newer phones are getting bigger

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
will the razr maxx support jellybean and onward or just ice cream sandwich?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
will the razr maxx support jellybean and onward or just ice cream sandwich?
Nobody really knows.

The only one that's pretty much "guaranteed" (I use that word carefully) to get the OS beyond JB is the Nexus. Whether it's through an official update, or by a leak by the excellent dev community, I think it will see it. Heck, someone got ICS to work on the OG Droid. Lagged like crazy, but the point is they got it working on the Droid.

If you don't think you'll be happy with the Razr 2yrs from now, the don't get it.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the s3 won't get updates beyond jellybean?
It's not that I wouldn't like the razr just the new feature on the s3 but are those actually useful features?
Yes I did but for very little time. The person at the store wouldn't work with me on an earlier upgrade telling me to come back in november.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the s3 won't get updates beyond jellybean?
It's not that I wouldn't like the razr just the new feature on the s3 but are those actually useful features?
Yes I did but for very little time. The person at the store wouldn't work with me on an earlier upgrade telling me to come back in november.
Again, we don't know. What I can tell you is the s3 is slated to get JB in Q4 this year from what I heard.

I only mentioned the Nexus possibly getting the next OS because of dev support, not Google support. Not all devs may try to make the next OS work with the Nexus, but someone will most likely attempt it. And going by the history of the OG Droid, it made it all the way to run ICS (though wouldn't exactly say it was usable).

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
dezymond said:
Again, we don't know. What I can tell you is the s3 is slated to get JB in Q4 this year from what I heard.

I only mentioned the Nexus possibly getting the next OS because of dev support, not Google support. Not all devs may try to make the next OS work with the Nexus, but someone will most likely attempt it. And going by the history of the OG Droid, it made it all the way to run ICS (though wouldn't exactly say it was usable).

Agreed

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Isn't the thunderbolt screen 5" as well? I just want a phone that will be still updated in 2 years when I can upgrade again. If I get it on ebay or craigslist I have to double make sure it works correctly.
It's radio has to be at least as good as the thunderbolt radio is.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just remember the s3 is nearly 5 inches in size

But, due to the large bezel around the screen of the RAZR/MAXX, the actual face of the phone is close to the same size. In my opinion, the 4.8" screen of the S3 is fantastic, especially due to the minimal bezel on the sides.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Isn't the thunderbolt screen 5" as well? I just want a phone that will be still updated in 2 years when I can upgrade again. If I get it on ebay or craigslist I have to double make sure it works correctly.
It's radio has to be at least as good as the thunderbolt radio is.

The Thunderbolt's screen is 4.3", just like the RAZR/MAXX.

So get the s3 or razr maxx? Cell signal, and features.

Having owned both, I've been asked this question more times than I can count over the past couple of months. Here's my usual rundown:

They're both excellent devices (the best on Verizon at the moment in my opinion). But which one is better depends entirely on your needs and wants.

The reception on my S3 is a little weaker than what I had on the MAXX. This is especially the case in weak 4G areas. Where I live (in an area with very weak 4G and 3G), the MAXX would pick up and hang onto 4G 75% of the time. With the S3, it never goes to 4G where I live. It does well in areas with strong 4G signal, but it seems like it's programmed to stick with 3G in weak 4G areas. Besides that, the reception on the S3 has been good. It drops signal about as much as the MAXX did (which wasn't and isn't often), and although the reception isn't as strong overall, I've been surprised by how well it performs compared to the horrible experiences I've had with previous Samsung devices on the reception front (Galaxy Nexus, Droid Charge, Stratosphere, Fascinate).

Overall, the S3 is a fantastic device. Great screen, great camera, and incredibly smooth performance. The biggest things in the MAXX's favor are stronger reception, much better battery life, better build quality (although I think the S3 gets unfairly shafted in that department - there are numerous positive elements to its build quality that people overlook), and better UI (I prefer the almost stock ICS that Motorola brings to its phones versus the cartoonish, iPhone-like design of Touch Whiz). The MAXX is almost as fast as the S3 in day-to-day use as well. The S4 processor and 2GB of RAM definitely speed things up for the S3, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice most of the time unless you're running them side-by-side.

One major consideration is finding out how you like the feel of each in your hand. They're both very different in their shape, and the screen on the S3 is half an inch larger than the screen on the MAXX (even though the overall size of the face of each device is similar since the MAXX has a large bezel). Some people like the boxy feel of the MAXX, while others like the curved edges and thinness of the S3. On that, no one can really say one is better than the other since it's personal preference.

The battery life and the reception of the MAXX are unmatched, but the screen, increased RAM, better processor, and killer camera make the S3 an extremely attractive option. So, it really comes down to what you want and need - the sturdy, all-around reliable sedan with the MAXX or the flashier, slightly more cutting edge sports car in the S3.

Last edited:

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
bsweetness said:
But, due to the large bezel around the screen of the RAZR/MAXX, the actual face of the phone is close to the same size. In my opinion, the 4.8" screen of the S3 is fantastic, especially due to the minimal bezel on the sides.

Does the s3 have good battery life?