allowed to upgrade earlier, which phone should I get?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Ok verizon decided to let me upgrade two months early. Which phone should I buy. Now they won't let me bill to account because I missed a payment in june.
I have narrowed it down to:
Galaxy Nexus
Razr Maxx
Rezound

Main things are: signal strength, battery and will it be upgraded to jelly bean and last me 18 months til next upgrade?

My thunderbolt is ok but definitely not as good as the original droid I had for over two years.

Relex

Reaction score
If you don't feel like waiting for something new to come out, I'm loving my s3.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To be honest, the only phone there (trying not to be bias) that would probably last you 18mo is the Nexus and that is strictly due to dev support. Can or will google support it? Who knows, they support the Nexus S to get JB so I don't see why this Nexus wouldn't get the next OS or even the next two.

Moto and HTC pump out phones like it's nobody's business, especially Moto. I can't say if they'll last as long as the Nexus, but they certainly are as good. Nexus has the edge as it's already got JB and the new radios dramatically improve the signal. I live in a very strong 4g area and even notice the difference, it's quite impressive.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
s3 isn't eligible for earlier upgrade unfortunately.
My thunderbolt is on its' last leg or I would wait

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
The question with the nexus is will apple make owning one illegal? If they are banned what will happen to all of the samsung devices out there? Will samsung/google quit supporting them?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
SGS3 or Nexus.

And Apple can't make owning a Samsung product illegal

Sent from my DROID RAZR

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If they're giving you the opportunity to upgrade early, everything should be available to you... I would think :blink:

Wopback

Reaction score
Wait till the end of Sep if you can, rumors of new phones to come out. Announcement coming on Wed.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
what kind of phone will it be? How much will it cost? Will it have a good radio, will it do jelly bean? how will it's battery be?
I might have learned my lesson with the thunderbolt. Buying a phone as soon as it was released.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how is the reception on the nexus compared to the razr or thunderbolt? How bright is the screen in sunlight?

Wopback

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
what kind of phone will it be? How much will it cost? Will it have a good radio, will it do jelly bean? how will it's battery be?
I might have learned my lesson with the thunderbolt. Buying a phone as soon as it was released.

I don't know. Just hearing rumors of a RAZR HD, RAZR m, etc.

Moto has an event on 9/5. We will all know then....

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the question is how buggy will it be at first? everyone wanted the thunderbolt because it was the first 4g phone on verizon. Of course there were and are some bugs with it.
Once again the question remains. Razr Maxx or nexus?

Also with motorola and google merging what does that mean for the razr maxx? Will it receive updates sooner?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
wvdroidman said:
the question is how buggy will it be at first? everyone wanted the thunderbolt because it was the first 4g phone on verizon. Of course there were and are some bugs with it.

Also with motorola and google merging what does that mean for the razr maxx? Will it receive updates sooner?

It was the first 4g device so it was bound to have bugs. There have been numerous phones since that aren't buggy and that's because the hardware caught up to the technology/software. I wouldn't worry too much about any phone being as buggy as the thunderbolt until a new technology (faster than 4g) comes out.

And the nexus radios are great after the latest leak of radios which can be easily flashed.

As for the whole Apple situation, who knows. You're asking questions that can't be answered right now and if the Nexus does become illegal then we still have dev support. I didn't rely on Google to make this phone awesome, I was looking to the dev community

Wopback

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:

Just trying to give you other options bro......I'm sure you'll create a new thread in a couple months that goes "Got the Maxx, why didn't I wait"....hahahah

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I can't pay until next week so I will look at the release tomorrow and.see what is announced.