best new phone

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I am looking for a phone with good reception, can be seen in the daylight, doesn't crash all of the time and is durable like my thunderbolt. I don't want it to crack when I touch it. I've dropped my thunderbolt some and it's gotten wet and it still works eventhough it reboots at inopportune times.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Samsung is known to use weaker radios than most other manufacturers, so if you live in a weak signal area you may notice this. My Nexus has only crashed once or twice on me and it is very durable.

I expect the same experience with the sg3 if you go that route as well. The Rezound is also a very solid phone and would've been my choice if I didn't like the Nexus so much.

Not too many people like the vanilla android experience and the Nexus is the only one without a manufacturer UI. Again, head to a store and check each phone out and see which one works for you.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Should I wait for the new nexus or will it basically be the same as the s3? I am really interested in the battery, signal, durability and brightness.
Problem is I don't have a corporate store near me and only telephone will let me upgrade to the s3 in september after explaining my situation with my thunderbolt. I don't know if they would have let me get the nexus, razr or rezound now though I would imagine they would.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
Should I wait for the new nexus or will it basically be the same as the s3? I am really interested in the battery, signal, durability and brightness.
Problem is I don't have a corporate store near me and only telephone will let me upgrade to the s3 in september after explaining my situation with my thunderbolt. I don't know if they would have let me get the nexus, razr or rezound now though I would imagine they would.

Basically the same in my eyes but hands on wise the s3 has better battery

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how about signal, durability and ability to see in bright light?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
wvdroidman said:

The Rezound has a better radio then the Samsung. With full brightness I can see my screen outside. I've never seen a Samsung outside so I can't comment on that. As far as durability goes I can say that I've had three HTC phones and all three have all been solidly built phones. Again I have never owned a Samsung so I can't say how they are built.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

JRParsons

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:

I went from a Thunderbolt to an S3, I see no noticeable difference in the signal strength, and I am in a fringe area. I have not tested the durability, I did drop it once on a hardwood floor from about 3 feet (missed my pocket), there were no scratch or cracks, and it works fine, the back cover did not come off in the fall.
The screen is better in direct sunlight, as you know, it couldn't have been worse. I am able to see it, but I still squint.
It's been a nice upgrade, the size takes a little getting used to, and it's pretty slippery without a case, and lastly, some of the pre installed apps have some design flaws. (music player, and email)
Hope this helps.

huskur

Reaction score
I also have the S3 and it is a stellar device. Previous phone was the Razr Maxx. Radios are equal with the two and I live in a fringe 4G area. I did upgrade the baseband (radio) in the S3 and now it is better than the Maxx. If you get the S3 this is something you will see in a OTA. The Maxx is a great phone and the Nexus is good also. Just data drops and signal issues with the Nexus, so I have heard. Anyway, my S3 lives it non use life in my back pocket most of the time and I am 6'1" 220 Lbs and there is not a mark or crack on it. This holds true for the phone it replaced also, the Maxx. I am superiorly happy with the Samsung. It is my first non-moto phone. Motorola has build quality down but being innovative and taking the next step to be a leader (which they lead the pack at one time) is falling short as of late. The S3 will indeed get jelly bean and also remember that as OS's get bigger and better, IMO, the S3 is a better way to go than the "current" Nexus with the processor being superior and 2 GB of ram.

This is just my random thoughts that I can add. Do with them what you will. It boils down to this for me: S3 is very fast and smooth and the screen is big and the features are never ending. Its a great device and you would be happy with it as well.

I have not noticed any flaws with email as the above poster stated......the gmail is awesome and the standard email app is push so you have to set up the push times for it to check for mail. Gmail though is instant

Last edited:

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well they are both very big phones so if you happen to drop it your screwed. Signal wise, the s3 usually holds a better 4g signal. While the nexus searches alot more often which drains battery. Now both color wise and the ability to see in sunlight, the s3 beats it hands down.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
what is better the s3 or razr? I don't really want to spend $300 on the maxx

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
;
I also have the S3 and it is a stellar device. Previous phone was the Razr Maxx. Radios are equal with the two and I live in a fringe 4G area. I did upgrade the baseband (radio) in the S3 and now it is better than the Maxx. If you get the S3 this is something you will see in a OTA. The Maxx is a great phone and the Nexus is good also. Just data drops and signal issues with the Nexus, so I have heard. Anyway, my S3 lives it non use life in my back pocket most of the time and I am 6'1" 220 Lbs and there is not a mark or crack on it. This holds true for the phone it replaced also, the Maxx. I am superiorly happy with the Samsung. It is my first non-moto phone. Motorola has build quality down but being innovative and taking the next step to be a leader (which they lead the pack at one time) is falling short as of late. The S3 will indeed get jelly bean and also remember that as OS's get bigger and better, IMO, the S3 is a better way to go than the "current" Nexus with the processor being superior and 2 GB of ram.

This is just my random thoughts that I can add. Do with them what you will. It boils down to this for me: S3 is very fast and smooth and the screen is big and the features are never ending. Its a great device and you would be happy with it as well.

I have not noticed any flaws with email as the above poster stated......the gmail is awesome and the standard email app is push so you have to set up the push times for it to check for mail. Gmail though is instant

Dude!!!! Shhhhhhh!! I barely walked away from buying a 32 gig pebble blue s3 the other day.... you're making it really hard!!! Lol
:D:p

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
94lt1 said:
;

Dude!!!! Shhhhhhh!! I barely walked away from buying a 32 gig pebble blue s3 the other day.... you're making it really hard!!! Lol
:D:p

Why did you not get it