best new phone

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The best they'll do for you is probably send you another CLNR Tbolt, if that's even an option now. You are pretty far from your upgrade date yet so they won't let you upgrade earlier.

I've heard of others getting upgrades maybe 2mo ahead due to hardware issues and persuasion, but you gotta be a real smooth talker to get that result.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
well my thunderbolt is basically un usable now. I can't use it because I don't know when it will freeze or reboot.

endrum

Reaction score
i would highly recommend that you get nexus if you want to have a phone on jellybea as they really give you the best functionality as compared to others out in the market, which by the way there is not much of a choice yet but hopefully mid this year more phones will come out and if you can wait by then you could probably score better phones at that.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
endrum said:
i would highly recommend that you get nexus if you want to have a phone on jellybea as they really give you the best functionality as compared to others out in the market, which by the way there is not much of a choice yet but hopefully mid this year more phones will come out and if you can wait by then you could probably score better phones at that.

He can't! Read the post before

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

jerry12

Reaction score
One place you can see it is the forum on Verizon website, there is a good bunch of post there & Android Central has some info on it. Sorry i can't give you links now i am on my Droid Razr Maxx.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
One place you can see it is the forum on Verizon website, there is a good bunch of post there & Android Central has some info on it. Sorry i can't give you links now i am on my Droid Razr Maxx.

I frequent both of those sites, among many others, and have seen just about everything there about the S3. None of it has an official, or even unofficial, admission from Verizon that there are any "big issues" with the reception on the S3. You might have people who say that a Verizon rep told them that, but we all know that 99% of Verizon reps really have no clue about the technical side of most of this stuff. :)

Here on this site in our Galaxy S3 forum, there's a lengthy thread about reception on the S3 - 4G not as good on S3. In that thread, several users, myself included, have stated that the reception on the S3 is somewhat weaker than the reception on some previous devices we've owned. I've said several times that, among the more recent high-end devices, the reception on the S3 is weaker than the MAXX or the Rezound. But that doesn't mean there are serious problems with the radios. Samsung has always had weaker radios than other manufacturers, particularly on CDMA/LTE devices. But while the S3 is somewhat weaker than several other devices out there, it's way ahead of any other Samsung Android devices that have been on Verizon. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

So, while the reception is a little weaker for most people, there's no "big issues" with the radio on the S3. It's actually a very big improvement for reception on a Samsung device on Verizon. :)

jerry12

Reaction score
I frequent both of those sites, among many others, and have seen just about everything there about the S3. None of it has an official, or even unofficial, admission from Verizon that there are any "big issues" with the reception on the S3. You might have people who say that a Verizon rep told them that, but we all know that 99% of Verizon reps really have no clue about the technical side of most of this stuff. :)

Here on this site in our Galaxy S3 forum, there's a lengthy thread about reception on the S3 - 4G not as good on S3. In that thread, several users, myself included, have stated that the reception on the S3 is somewhat weaker than the reception on some previous devices we've owned. I've said several times that, among the more recent high-end devices, the reception on the S3 is weaker than the MAXX or the Rezound. But that doesn't mean there are serious problems with the radios. Samsung has always had weaker radios than other manufacturers, particularly on CDMA/LTE devices. But while the S3 is somewhat weaker than several other devices out there, it's way ahead of any other Samsung Android devices that have been on Verizon. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

So, while the reception is a little weaker for most people, there's no "big issues" with the radio on the S3. It's actually a very big improvement for reception on a Samsung device on Verizon. :)

The sales people and a service tech in a uscc store told me about there issues and the service tech said they where working on a fix. The local Verizon store sales associates told me about there issues and the company and samsung were working on it. I have know way to know what the company is doing but this is what i have been told by the people that work for them,I guess the people that sale the phones know how many complaints they are getting and about the returns.

Last edited:

jerry12

Reaction score

The Razr Maxx was better before the ICS update and when the update was pushed out to them a lot of us took a hit on battery life and reception. Verizon and Motorola are working on a fix for the Razr and there is a trouble ticket in on my phone and this is what Verizon tect dept has told me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The sales people and a service tech in a uscc store told me about there issues and the service tech said they where working on a fix. The local Verizon store sales associates told me about there issues and the company and samsung were working on it. I have know way to know what the company is doing but this is what i have been told by the people that work for them,I guess the people that sale the phones know how many complaints they are getting and about the returns.

Ok, so no official word from Verizon, just comments by reps. That's all I was wondering about. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything out there in the expanse known as the world wide web. :)

The Razr Maxx was better before the ICS update and when the update was pushed out to them a lot of us took a hit on battery life and reception. Verizon and Motorola are working on a fix for the Razr and there is a trouble ticket in on my phone and this is what Verizon tect dept has told me.

My RAZR MAXX had better battery life after ICS and the same stellar reception. A factory reset (and in some cases a couple factory resets) improved things for a lot of people with the RAZR and the MAXX after the ICS update. But of course, experiences can always vary greatly by user. :)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I've had no problems whatsoever with the 4g reception on my S3. We just got 4g where I live about a month before the S3 was released so im loving it. Also, because the battery it's larger in the S3 than previous Galaxy models, I still average 10-12 hours with 4g always on, full brightness, and heavy usage.
Just downloaded a 149mb update for the game Dead Trigger, it downloaded in under a minute and a half! :thumbup:

tap'n

jerry12

Reaction score
Ok, so no official word from Verizon, just comments by reps. That's all I was wondering about. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything out there in the expanse known as the world wide web. :)

My RAZR MAXX had better battery life after ICS and the same stellar reception. A factory reset (and in some cases a couple factory resets) improved things for a lot of people with the RAZR and the MAXX after the ICS update. But of course, experiences can always vary greatly by user. :)
I did the factory reset but it didn't help , i wish it had helped.

Reaction score
huskur said:
Buy it!! Look.....here is the down low on how to always have what you like. OK, so you want the S3 right? Buy it! Then the next "latest and greatest razr or whatever" comes out. Sell the fairly new S3 for premium dollars and it will go towards the new one. You are recouping your $$$ on its sale. With the radio update I did with it I could not be more happier. Great phone!! And netflix and comcast programming on 4G is just like watching on a TV. This think is awesome

Howdo I update my radio on my s3? Do I have to root or unlock?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
ok my thunderbolt reboots randomly and freezes but they won't let me upgrade plus I won't have the money to buy one outright until after labor day. What am I supposed to do?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ok my thunderbolt reboots randomly and freezes but they won't let me upgrade plus I won't have the money to buy one outright until after labor day. What am I supposed to do?
You can try to get a CLNR or just put up with it for another week. Even if you do get a CLNR, you'd have to wait at least another day to have it shipped to your address. You don't have many options, so if I were you I'd just put up with it until after Labor Day, it's next Monday anyway.

Another option you have is to buy a used phone of a different model and just use that until your upgrade is available. It's still quite some time til November.

Last edited: