BEST EVER Survey

Laurence5905

Reaction score
First thing I tell anyone is to not bother with a task killer app. My phone runs 24/7 and I use it heavily, and I never have had a need to kill any task, and I never reboot the phone either.

Other than that, I just tell people to check out all the Google apps first.

Yeah, I just can't give up the control... I ran without a task-killer for about 2 weeks, and had no problems at all. But I dislike not knowing what's running on my phone -- a task killer, in addition to killing tasks, is a shortcut to a list of processes that are running on the phone. I like it for that...

So, for me, it's a control issue -- I want a task-killer for the control it gives me, not because it's a required thing to kill off all the background tasks that're going on. So, with that in mind, that's what I tell folks -- if you like the total control that comes with a task killer, get one. If you don't want that level of control, the phone will run just fine without one.

The other apps I tell them to get are the BarCode Scanner, WiFi Analyzer, MotoTorch LED, SleepTimer, SportsTap, Robo Defense, and Sudoku Free.

Silver Member
Reaction score
First thing I tell anyone is to not bother with a task killer app. My phone runs 24/7 and I use it heavily, and I never have had a need to kill any task, and I never reboot the phone either.

Other than that, I just tell people to check out all the Google apps first.

Yeah, I just can't give up the control... I ran without a task-killer for about 2 weeks, and had no problems at all. But I dislike not knowing what's running on my phone -- a task killer, in addition to killing tasks, is a shortcut to a list of processes that are running on the phone. I like it for that...

So, for me, it's a control issue -- I want a task-killer for the control it gives me, not because it's a required thing to kill off all the background tasks that're going on. So, with that in mind, that's what I tell folks -- if you like the total control that comes with a task killer, get one. If you don't want that level of control, the phone will run just fine without one.

The other apps I tell them to get are the BarCode Scanner, WiFi Analyzer, MotoTorch LED, SleepTimer, SportsTap, Robo Defense, and Sudoku Free.
home - menu - settings - applications - manage applications - menu - filter - running

will show you everything everything running (outside of running services).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tell people about Screebl. I think it's one of the most necessary apps available for Droid.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta tell people about Beautiful Widgets.
I find myself showing Google Goggles more than anything... people are amazed by it :)

and of course the shameless plug.... go to DroidForums.net :icon_ deal:

Detonation

Reaction score
What's the ONE best thing you've done to your Droid that you tell all your friends?
ie: I tell everyone to Download the TaskKiller app to keep the phone running smoothly.

I'm glad the number one thing you are doing is spreading the misconception that a task killer is helpful :icon_rolleyes:

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tell people about Screebl. I think it's one of the most necessary apps available for Droid.
i'm curious, why is it so necessary? my phone stays lit when i want it and dark when i want it...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's the ONE best thing you've done to your Droid that you tell all your friends?
ie: I tell everyone to Download the TaskKiller app to keep the phone running smoothly.

TaskKiller apps are not required to keep the Droid running Smoothly.
It's not a BB or WinMo OS... Do a search, they are loads of users that had to uninstall their Taskiller due to it jacking up the phone.

It's not required for memory management, though for battery management it's another story.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't have any better battery life running ATK than I do without it..... just saying :)

Laurence5905

Reaction score
home - menu - settings - applications - manage applications - menu - filter - running

Yep -- but that's 9 button-presses vs. 1 button-press with a task killer. (Well, 2 button presses -- one to open the folder in which I've stored ATK, and one to open ATK itself.)

So, unless there's a way to create a shortcut to the 'running' thing in the menu-tree, I'm sticking with ATK. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm curious, why is it so necessary? my phone stays lit when i want it and dark when i want it...

Lets say you get side tracked for a couple of seconds and your typing something on your phone. The screen goes dark and you have to push the button and swipe to bring you back. Screebl keeps the screen from timing out on you.

You can also set it up for different type of positions, basically customize it if you desire. There is an excellent video to watch when you download the app that probably explains it better then I do. It's also suppose to save battery life, though I'm not exactly sure how that comes into play.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yep -- but that's 9 button-presses vs. 1 button-press with a task killer. (Well, 2 button presses -- one to open the folder in which I've stored ATK, and one to open ATK itself.)

So, unless there's a way to create a shortcut to the 'running' thing in the menu-tree, I'm sticking with ATK. :)
Downside to the stock 'kill' method.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't have any better battery life running ATK than I do without it..... just saying :)

Well when you have problems with an app that is bugged, or forget an app is running in the background, and it zaps your battery, you'll notice. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen, and i'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Not saying it's a MUST on the top of my list though.

Yes running apps through the apps > settings is one way to do it. Just alil more annoying, and for those that are savvy with it, it's just easier.

Silver Member
Reaction score

you can make a shortcut to settings and then manage applications. the only thing you'd have to do after that is change the filter.

same thing wtih running services.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well when you have problems with an app that is bugged, or forget an app is running in the background, and it zaps your battery, you'll notice. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen, and i'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Not saying it's a MUST on the top of my list though.

Yes running apps through the apps > settings is one way to do it. Just alil more annoying, and for those that are savvy with it, it's just easier.
Had it happen once... myLock and Handcent SMS (the Pop-Up) both deactivate the lock screen, and they wound up in a loop.... lost a ton of battery life in a short time... checked my usage and saw that the OS had taken 70 something percent of my battery.... worked out the problem with the developer of myLock.
This was the only time I've seen anything like this.

Unless it's GPS, wi-fi or something constantly searching, what zaps battery in the background? My sync doesn't... my widgets don't...news doesn't, weather doesn't.... e-mail doesn't.... etc. It would have to be a bad app, in which case I'd uninstall it.

BUT... I completely agree with your philosophy of better safe than sorry.