Battery voltage drops seem unuusal

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never used an app that would show a graph like this, of the battery voltage.
Like others, ever since the Lollipop update in April 2015 (I think) my battery life stinks, as does my wife's and son's Note 4's
Anyway, does anyone know if these dropouts in voltage should be considered normal? The very first one was at 6am, and all I did was open a browser.
3a1666e3b8f27453d581f59110533391.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
You really can't look at voltage drops like. I really can't see the phone being able to report accurately the "voltage" of the battery and calculate the load applied and all that good stuff. How is your daily battery life? Do you get a full day? I had horrible battery on 5.0 but since the 5.1.1 update in January battery life has gotten a little better.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try this. Power off your phone. Let it stay off about a minute. Per it back up while holding the power button, volume up button and home button at the same time. This will take it to a boot up screen with a blue wording (I think it says Recovery Mode) in the upper left . Use your volume down button to scroll down to wipe partition. Use your power button to accept. It'll scroll a few lines below all that stuff then go back to what the screen shot looks like. Use your power button to accept reboot phone now. Your phone will reboot like a normal power up.
After lollipop I started doing that every few weeks as I noticed battery drops and performance decreases. Once you do that you might notice your phone improves in both battery life and snapiness.

cad758505a5d9a437621fd1b4bb397f8.jpg

Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
You really can't look at voltage drops like. I really can't see the phone being able to report accurately the "voltage" of the battery and calculate the load applied and all that good stuff. How is your daily battery life? Do you get a full day? I had horrible battery on 5.0 but since the 5.1.1 update in January battery life has gotten a little better.
Battery life never improved for me after the 5.1.1 update a few weeks ago, and IMO, it's even worse since. I can watch my battery drop from 100% to 95% in 7 or 8 minutes just using Chrome, and screen brightness is on auto, and I'm right below a light, so the actual screen brightness is in the 40% range or less. By noon today the battery was at 71% and all I had used the phone for after the earlier Chrome session, was 8 or 10 texts.
Thanks for the input. I though possibly that those voltage drops were an indication of a bad battery.

@mountainbikermark, after the 5.1.1 update a few weeks ago, I FDR'D twice and cleared cache several times also. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Battery life never improved for me after the 5.1.1 update a few weeks ago, and IMO, it's even worse since. I can watch my battery drop from 100% to 95% in 7 or 8 minutes just using Chrome, and screen brightness is on auto, and I'm right below a light, so the actual screen brightness is in the 40% range or less. By noon today the battery was at 71% and all I had used the phone for after the earlier Chrome session, was 8 or 10 texts.
Thanks for the input. I though possibly that those voltage drops were an indication of a bad battery.

@mountainbikermark, after the 5.1.1 update a few weeks ago, I FDR'D twice and cleared cache several times also. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Seeing this info it very well could be a bad battery. I bought a pair of Anker batteries from amazon with charger. Had very good luck. It's possible it is the physical battery.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you've got location on while using Chrome and stuff the GPS might be using battery as well.
I tend to agree with Miller and seeing your graph you've possibly got a bad battery. Those readings shouldn't be jumping back up like that unless you're doing something that is very heavy cpu usage.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I may try a new battery.
I have location off, and mobile data off. Close proximity to my router, but sitting right on the edge of any cell reception at all.

Here's something I found odd. Last night I charged to 100%, and decided to shut down/restart before unplugging.
When it shut down, and the charging screen lit up, it said the level was at 97%. I re-started and it said the same thing....97%.

I switched to this Note 4 13 months ago, from a 3 year old RAZR Maxx (who's battery was still holding up well) and up until the Lollipop update, this phone's battery life was exceptional.
It's all been downhill since that update.

Last edited:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Any time the phone is searching or struggling to get a cell signal will kill the battery fast also... But I would start with a new battery and see what that does....

Also just for grins try pulling the battery AND sim card for 20 minutes and seeing if that changes anything

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any time the phone is searching or struggling to get a cell signal will kill the battery fast also... But I would start with a new battery and see what that does....

Also just for grins try pulling the battery AND sim card for 20 minutes and seeing if that changes anything

After the Lollipop update, I had even turned airplane mode on for a spell, with no improvment.

I will definitely try the battery and sim card pull right now

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried the battery and sim card pull, and thought last night that I was seeing a difference for the first half hour, but later saw that there was no improvment.
This morning I'm at 80% after 45 minutes. All I've done is a 10-15 minute browsing session, 6 or 8 texts.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I tried the battery and sim card pull, and thought last night that I was seeing a difference for the first half hour, but later saw that there was no improvment.
This morning I'm at 80% after 45 minutes. All I've done is a 10-15 minute browsing session, 6 or 8 texts.

I would order a replacement battery, As I said I had GREAT luck with the Ankers. IF you decide to go elsewhere or look for an actual Samsung order directly from Samsung as there are TONS of fakes out there...

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I switched to this Note 4 13 months ago, from a 3 year old RAZR Maxx (who's battery was still holding up well) and up until the Lollipop update, this phone's battery life was exceptional.
It's all been downhill since that update.

In reading my own post, I thought that I should clarify this portion, because comparing the new Note 4 to a 3 year old RAZR Maxx didn't seem like it was saying much.

My useage is the same today as it was 13 months ago when I bought this Note 4.
I do some texting, a little surfing, and from noon to 3pm, I stream iHeart Radio.
On my RAZR Maxx, by 3 pm I'd be somewhere in the 70% charge range, and after buying this Note4, it was very comparible.
Now, (and pretty kuch since the Lollipop update in April 2015 (+/-)) my charge will be around 75% before noon, and after 3 hrs of streaming, I'll usually see in the 50's or below.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
In reading my own post, I thought that I should clarify this portion, because comparing the new Note 4 to a 3 year old RAZR Maxx didn't seem like it was saying much.

My useage is the same today as it was 13 months ago when I bought this Note 4.
I do some texting, a little surfing, and from noon to 3pm, I stream iHeart Radio.
On my RAZR Maxx, by 3 pm I'd be somewhere in the 70% charge range, and after buying this Note4, it was very comparible.
Now, (and pretty kuch since the Lollipop update in April 2015 (+/-)) my charge will be around 75% before noon, and after 3 hrs of streaming, I'll usually see in the 50's or below.

The initial Lollipop build destroyed our beloved Note 4. I had many of the same issues after the Lollipop update (5.0) I even resorted to buying an extended battery. I got tired of the extended batteries bulk... I went with the Anker batteries and just started switching batteries in the afternoon.... Now after the 5.1.1 my battery has improved somewhat... I can't say for sure if it's as good or better or worst than KK because I just don't remember and also my usage has changed a lot the last few months....

I stream Sirius over 4G most of the day with multiple texts and an email here and there and after an 8 hour day I am down to about 60-70% battery on the Anker. On the original it is 10-15% less than that...

I don't know if the Samsung batteries just don't hold up or if the 5.0 update did indeed kill the physical battery but I can attest that the Ankers last longer. For the $25 for 2 batteries and charger I have to say it is well worth it. I am even tempted to order another set as I keep one at work always charging and I'd like to have another set at home charging. I would just eliminate charging the phone all together and just move to swapping batteries all the time.

Reactions: cr6
OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm dreaming of the possibility, but I'm surprised that there are not (I couldn't find one) any apps made that can actually test an on-board battery's discharge rate. I mean the battery has a rating of 3220 milliamper hours, so it seems like someone would have made an app by now that can measure the load on the battery over several minutes or longer, and calculate if the battery is dropping at a normal rate.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm not sure if phones have the proper hardware to do that accurately