Battery voltage drops seem unuusal

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Discussions' started by Miklb58, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2,038
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    The initial Lollipop build destroyed our beloved Note 4. I had many of the same issues after the Lollipop update (5.0) I even resorted to buying an extended battery. I got tired of the extended batteries bulk... I went with the Anker batteries and just started switching batteries in the afternoon.... Now after the 5.1.1 my battery has improved somewhat... I can't say for sure if it's as good or better or worst than KK because I just don't remember and also my usage has changed a lot the last few months....

I stream Sirius over 4G most of the day with multiple texts and an email here and there and after an 8 hour day I am down to about 60-70% battery on the Anker. On the original it is 10-15% less than that...

I don't know if the Samsung batteries just don't hold up or if the 5.0 update did indeed kill the physical battery but I can attest that the Ankers last longer. For the $25 for 2 batteries and charger I have to say it is well worth it. I am even tempted to order another set as I keep one at work always charging and I'd like to have another set at home charging. I would just eliminate charging the phone all together and just move to swapping batteries all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Miklb58

Miklb58 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Maybe I'm dreaming of the possibility, but I'm surprised that there are not (I couldn't find one) any apps made that can actually test an on-board battery's discharge rate. I mean the battery has a rating of 3220 milliamper hours, so it seems like someone would have made an app by now that can measure the load on the battery over several minutes or longer, and calculate if the battery is dropping at a normal rate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2,038
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I'm not sure if phones have the proper hardware to do that accurately

4. Obsidian...

Obsidian... Member

Ratings:
    +3

There are multiple apps that can do that, depending on what exactly you want measured.

Ampere is a basic app that measures the current discharge/charge rate and can tell if the battery is still good or not.

"Battery monitor widget" goes into much more detail

[​IMG]

But my go to app has always been "Better Battery Stats". It is able to give you all the information. Checking to see deep sleep, and all other important factors when it comes to the battery and if the kernel or any apps are messing up the battery or if it is the battery itself

• Like Like x 1
  5. Obsidian...

Obsidian... Member

Ratings:
    +3
    All that is showing is your normal discharge rate. 4.2V is fully charged and 3.2V is drained. To see how load is effecting it you'd need to see how many amps are being pulled at a certain time.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

6. Miklb58

Miklb58 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Exactly. That's what I was wondering.
    I'll give those a try. Thanks for the info.!
    I realize that the pic I sent was only showing voltage, but seeing those dropoffs made me suspicious.....I mean, it's not like I was running a blender off my phone. I didn't think that simply unlocking, and opening apps would cause them.

7. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Miklb58

Miklb58 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +237
    I used to use GSam, but don't remember it giving the info I'm looking for.
    I'm no wizard, but here's what I was looking for, and correct me if I'm wrong.
    If my battery is 3220mah, I believe that means it will provide the power needed for (examples)
    3220ma for 1 hour,
    Or
    322ma for 10 hrs, etc etc.
    So I figured that if one of these monitoring apps can accurately monitor this, it would tell me if the battery is up to par and the phone is screwed up and draining it fast, VS. the phone working normally on a faulty battery.

9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    There are other ways you can get bad drain aside from a bad battery & hardware failure and that's an app or two that can be causing the significant battery drain that you're experiencing. It's a free app and after a couple of days usage (while using your device exactly the same way your normally would), will help to rule out a rouge app. It happens a lot more than you think.

S5 tap'n

10. Miklb58

Miklb58 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Yeah, I get that. But the main question here is do I have a failing/failed battery or not. I hate to purchase a new battery only to have it perform no better.
    If it's hardware or a rogue app, but the battery is delivering what it should, then at least I'd know.

29% drop from 91% to 62% over 4.5 hrs. with very light use this afternoon, and I'm not so sure that Android system should be the top offender here, but it's been like this since the 5.0.1 update, and no change after the 5.1.1 update
    [​IMG]

11. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    That's why I suggested GSam Battery monitor. It will rule out a rouge app before you put 15 bucks down on a replacement battery.

S5 tap'n

12. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    I use Watch Dog when seeking out rogue apps and services. It shows cpu usage and with the battery dropping at times like it's powering a coffee pot that app might show what is going nuts. I keep an alert set up for heavy spikes and I get an alert a couple times a week that Android System has spiked to above 90% while the phone sleeps. I got it several times daily prior to 5.1, aka the first lollipop update and my battery life reflected it. T-Mobile released a 5 0.2 that solved it on my G2 but AT&T waited and released 5.1 that solved mine.
    This problem reminds me of when Verizon pushed out its last update to my Rezound. It went from stellar with an extended battery to awful even with an extended battery. I replaced its extended battery thinking it was worn out but alas a new one was just as awful. It also would warm up above 100f, according to Gsam, with even simple usage and attempts at multi tasking would cause it to power down as a safety from overheating.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

Search tags for this page
android battery voltage drop
android voltage drop charging
baterry android voltage drop
battery voltage drop samsung

battery voltage dropping android

phone battery voltage drop