Battery Training for Dummies, That's Me!

wendee2150

Reaction score
Please clarify again for the slower children...After I've done my drain the battery to 10%, turn off the phone and charge it to 100% thing (2 days in a row) can I plug it in when I go to bed if it's at, say 50%? And actually leave the phone on so calls could come in if needed? I am loving the .215 upgrade, but my battery got to 10% at 2pm and I missed an important call cause it was charging while off. I get so worried that I will do something wrong because I didn't understand the instructions. Help please! (You can just call me Martha because I worry about so many things...)
Thanks in advance,
Wendy

GotnFX

Reaction score
Yes..if you allowed your battery to hit 10% and charged it back up to 100% while the phone was powered off twice..your battery should be calibrated.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am sure FoxKat will be along at some point to expound on it, but in short, yes. If you do that twice your meter should be calibrated. And you don't have to do that every single time you charge it :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And to clarify, you actually don't have to drain to 10% twice. The METER (not battery) training only requires the phone to be charged with power off to 100%, THEN drained to the "Low battery" warning (ICS it's 10%, Gingerbread it's 15%), then powered off and charged to 100% again. The first 100% charge can start from essentially ANY battery level, even 90%. It's the fact that the battery hits the 100% target initially that starts the ball rolling on the meter training. It recognizes that the battery has topped out and places a marker in its registry. Then as the power depletes and the battery reaches the "Low battery" warning, it then places a "Low level" flag in its registry. Finally it then waits till the battery reaches 100% again at which point it compares the level with the marker in its registry to see if the level at 100% matches the last 100% charge. If it does, it then sets the "Fully charged" flag and the process is complete.

Last edited:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And to clarify, you actually don't have to drain to 10% twice. The METER (not battery) training only requires the phone to be charged with power off to 100%, THEN drained to the "Low battery" warning (ICS it's 10%, Gingerbread it's 15%), then powered off and charged to 100% again. The first 100% charge can start from essentially ANY battery level, even 90%. It's the fact that the battery hits the 100% target initially that starts the ball rolling on the meter training. It recognizes that the battery has topped out and places a marker in its registry. Then as the power depletes and the battery reaches the "Low battery" warning, it then places a "Low level" flag in its registry. Finally it then waits till the battery reaches 100% again at which point it compares the level with the marker in its registry to see if the level at 100% matches the last 100% charge. If it does, it then sets the "Fully charged" flag and the process is complete.

:hail:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Finally picked up a Nexus 7 tablet late last night, and was good enough not to open until this morning so I can plug it in to charge before playing with it. :)

Feel like I should get a medal for that kind of self control, it was not easy. :biggrin:

OP
W

wendee2150

Reaction score

Am I hearing you say that since I calibrated my meter, I can charge any time I need to, but I should always charge to 100%?

ms4teacher

Reaction score
And in comes dummy #3...what if i have never calibrated the meter...is it still possible to do so after a few moths or so??

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
wendee2150 said:
Am I hearing you say that since I calibrated my meter, I can charge any time I need to, but I should always charge to 100%?

You can. BUT....these types of batteries actually prefer short charge cycles.
Once you calibrate the meter, charge anytime from any level for a short time (like 20-40%). Charge as often as you please. An example would be: charge for 30 minutes while you read the news in the AM. Charge for a while on USB at work, etc. I keep my battery at between 40-80% all the time, I try not to go under or over that ( not obsessively).
Read FoxKat's posts on the battery forum. Lotsa good info.
The meter calibration should be done about every 2-3 months

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
ms4teacher said:
And in comes dummy #3...what if i have never calibrated the meter...is it still possible to do so after a few moths or so??

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Yup. And do so every 2-3 months.