Another Battery Question...

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by kellygh5, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Rogus

Rogus Member

So what does a person do if they lose their charger? I bet it's impossible to find an OEM battery charger and cable for the Maxx. I couldn't find one online.

What do those of you do for a car charger if you don't use anything except the OEM charger?
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

These are very good questions. In fact, Verizon sells "authorized" chargers, both car and home, which meet with the Manufacturer's specifications and therefore will not void the warranty, and will (for those who say they can't void your warranty), operate in a manner which is approved by the manufacturer.

Edit: Oh, and of course, Motorola would be happy to sell and ship the OEM charger(s) to you.

Dual-Port Universal Charger
    &
    P893 Universal Portable Power Pack &
    Vehicle Navigation Dock for Droid RAZR/MAXX &
    P627 Dual-Port Universal Rapid Charge Vehicle Power Adapter &
    HD Dock for Droid RAZR/MAXX
  3. Rogus

Rogus Member

But what about wanting to replace the lost charger that you just plug into the wall? What are you going to use if you can't find the one that some claim is specific to the Razr MAXX?

Just saw your edit which must have been done as I was writing the above questions. I checked the Motorola site for chargers and they list a variety of chargers including what they call a "Dual Port Universal Charger" which looks identical to the charger that came packaged with the MAXX. None of the chargers listed mention being specific to any phone. It would seem to me that Motorola "approves" a universal charger for the MAXX. I would think this means any good quality charger would be fine to use. Perhaps the suggestion that one "only" use the OEM charger is a overly cautious? My take is that those who only want to use the OEM charger can do so. The rest of us can use whatever we already have without fear of an exploding phone.
  4. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't read into that too much. Motorola may feel their charger is "universal" in that it will work with all of their USB charge based equipment, and will also be "safe to use" with any other USB charge based equipment, however even though it may be "safe", it may also not perform as well as the OEM equipment for that other manufacturer's device.

Case in point, the iPad requires 2.1Amps (2,100mAh) to provide the proper charging rate for that device (which is what their charger is rated at). The "Universal" charger from Motorola on that link "may" be able to charge the iPad (at only 750mAh), but it will at least take a lot longer to do so. There is also the possibility that it would be insufficient to both charge and operate the iPad at the same time since the iPad may be pulling more than 750mAh at any one time, so that instead it might result in the charge of the battery actually being depleted while it appears it's being charged.

This actually happens more often than many may think. In my case, the USB port on my computer caused my phone to respond as though it was charging however about 2 hours later, the phone was not only dead but wouldn't even respond to the Motorola Rapid Charger in my car (at 1Amp).

Again, I say use the product for the intended purpose and try to avoid deviating from the OEM instructions, lest you be disappointed with the results. :blink:
Search tags for this page

i just reached las vegas and my phone wont charge

what does maxx smart charger do