replaced battery, charging concerns

ngt

Reaction score
so i swapped the battery in my old phone. works great, but when i plug in the battery charger, i get no lightning bolt or charging light. when i unplug the charger the "unplug your charger to conserve electricity" message pops up. the battery by the time has a red question mark on it and the battery widget always reads 90 % and 17h 40m remaining. thoughts?

just plug it in every night and see if it dies in a day or so?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The Droid Maxx is a bit older of technology and was notorious for having charging and metering issues where the meter and battery get out of sync, and the actual State of Charge (SOC), wasn't being reflected accurately.

The known solution which has a high rate of success is;
  1. Use the phone until it gets to the SOC where it tells you to actually tells you to plug into the charger.
  2. Then power the phone completely off (hold power button, wait for prompt to power off, press and the phone will power off completely).
  3. Then plug into the charger while powered off and allow it to enter into "charge-only mode". It will display a battery icon with an indication of the current SOC, then the display will go black.
  4. Allow it to charge fully (3.5 to 5.5 hours), and if you wish to check its progress, you can tap either the up or down volume controls BUT NOT the power button. It will momentarily flash the battery icon and display a percentage of charge.
  5. Once it reaches 100% using this method, you can disconnect from the charger, power the phone up and use as normal.
  6. Again, use it until it tells you to connect to the charger and repeat steps 2 through 5. This should be the last time you need to do this and it should function normally from there on.

Reactions: ngt
OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
The Droid Maxx is a bit older of technology and was notorious for having charging and metering issues where the meter and battery get out of sync, and the actual State of Charge (SOC), wasn't being reflected accurately.

1. Use the phone until it gets to the SOC where it tells you to actually tells you to plug into the charger.
  2. Then power the phone completely off (hold power button, wait for prompt to power off, press and the phone will power off completely).
  3. Then plug into the charger while powered off and allow it to enter into "charge-only mode". It will display a battery icon with an indication of the current SOC, then the display will go black.
  4. Allow it to charge fully (3.5 to 5.5 hours), and if you wish to check its progress, you can tap either the up or down volume controls BUT NOT the power button. It will momentarily flash the battery icon and display a percentage of charge.
  5. Once it reaches 100% using this method, you can disconnect from the charger, power the phone up and use as normal.
  6. Again, use it until it tells you to connect to the charger and repeat steps 2 through 5. This should be the last time you need to do this and it should function normally from there on.
awesome! thanks!! will do!

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score

So I waited, and it just died. No warning or anything. When I plugged it in, the battery icon came on, but it just has a white question mark in the middle of it. I'll leave it plugged in all night and see if it turns on in the morning. Weird when it died. No shutdown or anything, just kind of glitched a bit and was off. I'm worried it is not coming back on.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
left it on the charger for about an hour, tried to turn it on, and just get the empty battery with a white question mark in it. It was the EXACT same battery that was in there. Same numbers on it and everything.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
left it on the charger for about an hour, tried to turn it on, and just get the empty battery with a white question mark in it. It was the EXACT same battery that was in there. Same numbers on it and everything.
You may have to leave it on the charger for as long as 24 hours before it finally wakes up enough to start charging normally. I've experienced this myself. The battery is actually so low in SOC that it is insufficiently charged to support the charging system and will not take a charge. The problem is reversible but it may take a while.

Have patience and resist the urge to check it since each time you do it will further deplete the little charge it has and you'll prolong the process of getting it back to a chargeable state.

In all likelihood it will also begin showing proper battery levels even after the first full charge while powered off.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
nope :( white battery outline with a question mark in the middle :(

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've had to unplug and re-plug in dozens of times in this situation before the phone finally woke up and started charging. Try multiple plug-ins, waiting until you see the battery icon before trying again.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
ok cool, I'll try it some more. I found one of the white samsung cords and plugs from a tablet. Maybe that will work. Thanks!!

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
ok cool, I'll try it some more. I found one of the white samsung cords and plugs from a tablet. Maybe that will work. Thanks!!

So I used this cord and it almost turned all of the way on. It had the droid opening happen for the first time since I got the battery. But it didn't start all of the way and while the droid opening was sitting there right before it would normally start, the little light for charging etc was blinking red. Haven't gotten that to happen again, but almost got it started. I haven't gotten the red charge light in the corner, just a white light where it should be red and that only stays on if I get the cord about 3/4 in and leave it there.

thoughts?

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
So, I tried that a bunch of times and left it plugged in with that white light on (not sure if that made a difference. Anyways, the phone actually powered all the way on. My contacts and everything is gone. It started from scratch, said my sim card and sd card had combined 1 contact on them. The battery icon in the corner of the screen still has a red question mark in it and in settings, the battery has been at 5% since it turned on started. I'm guessing the cord is the only thing keeping it going, or maybe it's actually charging. Right now the phone is on and still plugged into the wall. Oh, and the light in the left top corner is blinking red.

Next steps? Ideas on getting my contacts back? Thoughts?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, the loss of contacts and everything is very strange and I just don't see how it could be related to the battery, but I'm not saying it isn't. it just doesn't add up. The SIM card has no relationship with the battery so I definitely can't imagine the SIM card having been affected. Even a phone that loses all power shouldn't suffer a loss of data.

When you said it started from scratch, do you mean it has none of the apps you originally installed? The only way that could happen is if a full Factory Data Restore (FDR) were performed. That just doesn't happen on its own.

I can't say for sure why the battery icon is red, why the battery is only showing 5%, and why the light is blinking red. I am curious, is it a Motorola direct replacement battery or a generic replacement? It is possible that the battery is simply not compatible with the phone. If it is incompatible, that could explain all the strange battery readings. I am a bit suspicious of the batch of symptoms your phone is experiencing as they are both unique and yet seemingly unrelated.

Is anyone else out here able to lend some helpful guidance?

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Well, yeah, they were on the phone when I first installed the new battery, which worked for a while. When I first put it in, it said 90% and the ? on the battery icon, but I had my same old phone apps and all of my old contacts. After the new battery went dead (the phone didn't just shut down, it did this glitchy green flashing and then black) and I finally got it back on, all was gone. Starting from "which language do you want your phone to be in". No clue. I hope I have a file on my larger micro sd card, but I can't check because this phone cant read cards that big.

Then phone died again, lol. Now it's back on, after an hour of plugging and unplugging etc...still says 5% and I'm sure it will be dead by the time I wake up.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Can happen to anybody.... Sounds like the battery swap did not go smoothly and somehow the phone shorted out. I can't think of any other scenario where the sim, data, and charging circuit go tango uniform. What I mean is that you have a hardware problem, not a software problem. Sorry, just my humble opinion

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Ok. :( Thanks!! Looks like I'll be phoneless until the 19th. SO FAR AWAY!!!!!! lol.

Thanks again for all of the help and time spent giving advice. I really appreciate it!!!!