Battery Life?

Reaction score
It should get better every day. You just got to break the battery in. Run it all the way down till it turn off the put it on the charger but don't turn it on. Let fully charge then you might see an improvement. Doing about what you do I can get up to 18 + hours. Yesterday I was at 16 hours with 30% left.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
That is the beauty of an external charger and a spare battery. You can always completely drain it.

howzball

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked and answered 1000 times already but....
Would connecting to Wifi when possible instead of 3g save battery life OR does the Wifi device actually cost us battery life?

On my Og Droid battery life was never an issue and I always jumped on Wifi at the house. I guess I never paid any attention to whether it had an effect of battery life or not.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi helps battery. That's how people can go 20 hours on a charge.

Only time it hurts is when its searching for a wifi network.

MIUI

howzball

Reaction score

MIUI

I see,

and that was exactly what was causing my battery issues... my phone was hung in a loop searching to connect to my home's wifi but the wifi kept turning on, then off then back on over and over.
Once that sorted itself out my battery has been much better.

gregg098

Reaction score
That is the beauty of an external charger and a spare battery. You can always completely drain it.

I thought that with newer batteries, completely draining it is actually BAD for it?

Just finished my first day with the Droid 3 (my wife as well). It lasted about the same as my Droid 1 and her Droid 2 which was unplugging it in the morning and plugging it in at night before bed.

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score

I thought that with newer batteries, completely draining it is actually BAD for it?

Just finished my first day with the Droid 3 (my wife as well). It lasted about the same as my Droid 1 and her Droid 2 which was unplugging it in the morning and plugging it in at night before bed.

You're right. Constantly draining it completely is bad for it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets keep the discussion civil please.

These batteries are more advanced than NiHM batteries. I have NEVER completely drained my original battery and I comfortably get 14-16 hours on my rooted Droid 1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

militant

Reaction score

MIUI

I've gone 40+ hours on a charge, and that was with wifi off. With wifi on, connected to my network at full strength, the battery drains A LOT faster. I thought the consensus was to shut wifi off when not in use, not just when roaming where it would be scanning for different networks, but even just sitting idle it uses more battery. It makes sense to me anyway. The CDMA antenna has to stay on the whole time to get texts/calls, and having the wifi on is just having something else running/using battery power. I don't see how the battery could possibly last longer with Wifi on.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

MIUI

I've gone 40+ hours on a charge, and that was with wifi off. With wifi on, connected to my network at full strength, the battery drains A LOT faster. I thought the consensus was to shut wifi off when not in use, not just when roaming where it would be scanning for different networks, but even just sitting idle it uses more battery. It makes sense to me anyway. The CDMA antenna has to stay on the whole time to get texts/calls, and having the wifi on is just having something else running/using battery power. I don't see how the battery could possibly last longer with Wifi on.

WiFi uses less battery power than 3g. Go look at Anandtech's review and look at the battery tests. When wifi is on, 3g is turned off so that's why it saves. The phone uses 2g for phone calls and texting from what I understand.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

The_Rick_14

Reaction score

MIUI

WiFi uses less battery power than 3g. Go look at Anandtech's review and look at the battery tests. When wifi is on, 3g is turned off so that's why it saves. The phone uses 2g for phone calls and texting from what I understand.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I checked out their review here:

AnandTech - Motorola Droid 3 Review - Third Time's a Charm

I didn't see any talk about Wifi being better on battery. Am I missing something?