Helping with battery life without rooting

Fr33dom

Reaction score
So if you're downloading an app over wireless, or an email extension..., and your phone falls asleep, does wireless shut off? This has been my hangup over that setting. As I said earlier, I use WIFI only at home and primarily on the weekends (though also if I have an update to get during the week...) and I get the best battery life of the week over the weekend with wifi on. I just cannot see having to keep my screen on to download an app over wifi.

In fairness to the setting (I do hope I didn't hurt its feelings) I haven't tested over the weekend with it on/off so I don't really know one is better than the other, but I am in the 80% range after 12 hours most weekends.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
So if you're downloading an app over wireless, or an email extension..., and your phone falls asleep, does wireless shut off? This has been my hangup over that setting. As I said earlier, I use WIFI only at home and primarily on the weekends (though also if I have an update to get during the week...) and I get the best battery life of the week over the weekend with wifi on. I just cannot see having to keep my screen on to download an app over wifi.

In fairness to the setting (I do hope I didn't hurt its feelings) I haven't tested over the weekend with it on/off so I don't really know one is better than the other, but I am in the 80% range after 12 hours most weekends.

WIFI stays connected until the download is complete even if the screen goes off, which seems like the right way to me.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Thanks! Interesting that you said not to run it down all the way and charge regularly. I thought that it was just the opposite. With laptops they tell you the worst thing you can do is leave them plugged in all the time or keep running it 1/2 way and re-charging it. That actually makes the battery run out more quickly.

To clarify, and according to battery university, the battery is stressed when fully charged or discharged. You only get so many full discharges out of a battery. So charging it fully and then charging it again before it runs completely out will maximize your battery life whereas keeping it plugged in all the time will keep it in a stressed situation and limit your battery life just as fully discharging all the time will.

I got my D1 shortly after they came out and its stock battery lasts more than 12 hours to this day. I would always leave it in the charger all night and would rarely let it fully discharge. It never showed signs of deteriorating.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
To clarify, and according to battery university, the battery is stressed when fully charged or discharged.

I've read--and I have no idea if it's true--that the phone is smart enough to:
1) not run down the battery all the way so that degradation isn't so bad and it won't enter a state where it can't be charged
2) when it is fully charged power is shut off and the battery is allowed to run down a bit so that it isn't being degraded. After 5% or so, the charger comes on again.

What I'm saying is that we probably don't need to worry too much about running the battery all the way down or leaving it on the charger all night. That being said, I still totally agree that the optimal approach would be to charge the battery when it hits about 40% and then remove it from the charger soon after it says the battery is charged. Still, with my original droid I would run the battery down all the way quite often and I would leave it plugged in overnight all the time and the battery on it still works close to how it was when new, yet it is 2 years old.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I've read--and I have no idea if it's true--that the phone is smart enough to:
1) not run down the battery all the way so that degradation isn't so bad and it won't enter a state where it can't be charged
2) when it is fully charged power is shut off and the battery is allowed to run down a bit so that it isn't being degraded. After 5% or so, the charger comes on again.

What I'm saying is that we probably don't need to worry too much about running the battery all the way down or leaving it on the charger all night. That being said, I still totally agree that the optimal approach would be to charge the battery when it hits about 40% and then remove it from the charger soon after it says the battery is charged. Still, with my original droid I would run the battery down all the way quite often and I would leave it plugged in overnight all the time and the battery on it still works close to how it was when new, yet it is 2 years old.

I suspect that the battery will never be fully charged or discharged by the phone. I just couldn't confirm it so I hew to the accepted wisdom as the safest way to approach it. As far as taking the phone out as soon as its charged, I've never done that and never had a problem with a battery.

I do know that I've never pulled the phone off the charger and seen 100% FWIW.

Last edited: