Battery Life Testing/Observations (Rooted Only)

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK. So I got bored last week and decided on wiping out my Dalvik cache and rebooting the phone to see what happened. Aside from the initial slowness before the cache rebuilt itself the phone afterwards has been MUCH snappier. Another thing I noticed is that my battery life has increased. Not OMG!!11!ONE11ONE 3 DAYS! But I have been getting 2 - 3 more hours overall with my standard usage. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if they have noticed anything similar?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK. So I got bored last week and decided on wiping out my Dalvik cache and rebooting the phone to see what happened.
I do this every few weeks, if you look inside of that folder it is surprising to see how much Junk can build up, to go in and wipe it clean and get a fresh reboot definitely helps overall performance

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
This a Root Explorer trick or a recovery cache wipe? I really should know all these terms but I didn't pay too much attention during orientation. ;)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
In Terminal furbearingmammal

Code:
$su
#cd /system/sd/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

If you can't cd to system this alternative will work:

Code:
$su
#cd /cache/dalvik-cache
#rm *
#reboot

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Forgot to mention. Reboot after and DONT get freaked out when it takes a long time to boot. It has to rebuild Dalvik again so it will take a bit.

edit: apologies I was typing as you were posting : )

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, I'll be the guy that asks the stupid question. What am I going to have to set back up when I am reloaded? Custom ringtones? Shortcuts? Handcent customization? App settings? etc..

OP
Darkseider

Darkseider

Reaction score
OK, I'll be the guy that asks the stupid question. What am I going to have to set back up when I am reloaded? Custom ringtones? Shortcuts? Handcent customization? App settings? etc..

Nothing. Just takes a LONG ass time to boot and then some of the apps you normally use won't run right away until Dalvik finishes rebuilding.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is this way any better or worse than doing it through Clockwork Recovery?

CW has an option to delete the Dalvik cache? I didn't know that. I'd say it's probably the same but I'd still do it in terminal occasionally just to be safe.

yes i am. right now im running BBv.4

BB might have it stored in a different location.

shmoo

Reaction score
I did this and the cmd said I couldn't cd /system/sd/dalvik-cache. Any thoughts?