ATT Going after tether-ers

apl3

Reaction score
Its about time if you are tethering huge date either to run your home network or to stream torrents you reap what you sow. I have tethered only a few times when I could not connect to a network with my laptop not very noticable on my data usage. But come on if you have been tethering ungodly amounts of data what do you think,they will catch up with you. A few people who do this have ruined it for the rest of us. And now we are surprised that they are cracking down. Its not a right to steal bandwidth by tethering if you want to tether pay for it and stop stealing and penalizing others.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
The (modified) Natey2 Pricing Model/Formula for Smartphone Data v1.2, which I recommend Carriers to adopt immediately:

F = K * GB^2 + C

No, this formula was not inspired by the KGB :)

F is the monthly fee to be charged by the Carrier.
K is the connection speed coefficient, e.g. with 3G being 1.0, and 4G being 1.5
GB is the amount of data transferred by user.
C is the fixed/base amount the Carriers want to make monthly regardless, e.g. $30

So, someone using 2GB on 3G will pay 1 x 2 x 2 + $30 , or $34 for that month.

On 4G, that would cost 1.5 x 2 x 2 + $30 , or $36 for the month.

Someone using 5GB?
On 3G, it would cost $55.00
On 4G, it would cost $67.50

And that guy using 20GB on 3G will pay $430 for the month :)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you must use wifi and don't watch YouTube or Netflix. Am I right?

MIUI

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me guess, you must use wifi and don't watch YouTube or Netflix. Am I right?

MIUI

Correct...doesnt make a difference though cuz I'm on an unlimited plan...and I suspect so are you...so yes I agree with carriers doing this

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Correct...doesnt make a difference though cuz I'm on an unlimited plan...and I suspect so are you...so yes I agree with carriers doing this

Have to agree and I'm also unsympathetic.

Also, the plans are a little better now, so people can't make that argument as easily - 4 gigs for $50 including hotspot, which is basically $20 extra for up to 3+ gigs of tether.

There's still not a pay-as-you-go type deal that might make the rest of us more honest, but I doubt VZW cares if you tether a little on occasion. The one's they want to monetize are those tethering consistently AND using over probably 1 gig or so a month.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
you people make me laugh

Its about time if you are tethering huge date either to run your home network or to stream torrents you reap what you sow. I have tethered only a few times when I could not connect to a network with my laptop not very noticable on my data usage. But come on if you have been tethering ungodly amounts of data what do you think,they will catch up with you. A few people who do this have ruined it for the rest of us. And now we are surprised that they are cracking down. Its not a right to steal bandwidth by tethering if you want to tether pay for it and stop stealing and penalizing others.

you just admitted to tethering. so you stole bandwidth. so you should lose your unlimited data plan ...right?
get off you high horse that its ok for you cause you only did it a little bit.
you illegally tethered(although legality is really questionable)
if i got rob a bank and only get 5 bucks i guess its ok since most bankrobbers are gettng thousands.
where do you get your logic.

That in mind if some is using a llarge amount of data and they can prove it was tethered they shoudl get 1 warning.
if they continue than i dont have a problem with them changing their plan.
(which they can do since in the contract it does specifically mention this)

But to talk down to them after admitting you did the same thing makes no logical sense.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

you just admitted to tethering. so you stole bandwidth. so you should lose your unlimited data plan ...right?
if i got rob a bank and only get 5 bucks i guess its ok since most bankrobbers are gettng thousands.

That in mind if some is using a llarge amount of data and they can prove it was tethered they shoudl get 1 warning.

But to talk down to them after admitting you did the same thing makes no logical sense.

Meh, it doesn't seem like vzw cares if you tether a little, I'm sure everyone who's rooted has at least tried it just to see what it's about. But if you're dumb enough to replace your isp, you deserve a plan change...no warning required, if you are tethering you know it's a violation of tos

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Meh, it doesn't seem like vzw cares if you tether a little, I'm sure everyone who's rooted has at least tried it just to see what it's about. But if you're dumb enough to replace your isp, you deserve a plan change...no warning required, if you are tethering you know it's a violation of tos

Agreed, I have tethered a little but I also knew when I was doing it I was risking getting caught and having my contract terminated (albeit a small chance of that happening). I like the one warning idea, they could even do a mass e-mail or mass mail flyer explaining that tethering is clearly against ToS and if you are caught you will be terminated by public stoning and or a firing squad......but most likely they will just adjust your bill accordingly.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tether every once in awhile, but I have also been over 9 gigs before with no tethering. So tethering itself is not the issue. Its the fact that its easier to use more data tethering, than it is just on the phone.

MIUI

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
well

it wasnt you too i was annoyed at :) i understand their stance.
i just dont like someone talking to some like they are a piece of trash because they are tethering.
I dont think it should be used as an isp especially if you do have alternatives.
I dont have any land based internet. so I looked at my options. I went to tmobile for their 4g hotspot. and payed tethering for the g2x so i can get internet . kinda sucks only having 15 gigs amonth. :)
i use the droid to watch netflix, but dont tether since its just 3g and service here for verizon actually sucks.
so dont have a problem with them charging. but for someone to say well i did it but now you blankers ruined it for me. just irks me.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
i just dont like someone talking to some like they are a piece of trash because they are tethering.
I dont think it should be used as an isp especially if you do have alternatives.
I dont have any land based internet. so I looked at my options. I went to tmobile for their 4g hotspot. and payed tethering for the g2x so i can get internet . kinda sucks only having 15 gigs amonth. :)
i use the droid to watch netflix, but dont tether since its just 3g and service here for verizon actually sucks.
so dont have a problem with them charging. but for someone to say well i did it but now you blankers ruined it for me. just irks me.

It just annoys me, all these people that are on wifi all the time and use 1 gig. Then they say, well, I must not use any data at all. Everybody should be able to use less than 2 gigs of data. You use more than that and you are a data hog because its impossible without tethering.

MIUI

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
agreed

It just annoys me, all these people that are on wifi all the time and use 1 gig. Then they say, well, I must not use any data at all. Everybody should be able to use less than 2 gigs of data. You use more than that and you are a data hog because its impossible without tethering.

MIUI

look here is our 4g network where you can download 9 songs in 30 seconds watch full hd video etc.
than in small writing well you really cant because we are crooks and only adveriise these things to get you excited before you get your first bill and the truth.
I dont see it say you must use wifi and therefore pay for another provider to actaully use the features we are advertising to get you to buy the phone and suck you in for 2 years.

If i have wifi than i would be at home and therefore dont need the phone data. and at work i dont use enough data to matter cant watch movies and such at work.

I believe the phones are advertised as mobile. not attached to wifi.

I say if you use less than 1 gig a month. its really not worth paying 30 bucks a month. 30 bucks for 1 gig is just not worth it.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree. But the problem is, most people, usually people that never use their phones or people who hate rooting because they have never tried it, believe that tiered data is the way to go for everybody, since they use no data. I think its also safe to say that these same people are Liberals because they like Verizon controlling how we use the features we pay for.

MIUI