Artic silver?

alpine

Reaction score
Let me say, this is a great forum.. I just recently got my driod the past month or so and started to tinker with it.. Running Bugless 1.1 and chevy's 1.2 kernel.. Works pretty flawless as of now... I have many years in PC modding and programming but damn this stuff makes your head spin!

Anyways,

I'm an overclocker on my PC and PS3, that being said I have ripped them apart and applied artic silver to keep the temps down.. Is that feasible with these phones? Or would the risks out weigh the benefits?

Only reason I ask, I noticed with these phones after reading quite a few threads about temps my mind started thinking.. Might pull the phone apart soon and take a look..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not heard of anyone using Artic Silver on their Droid. Typically, we control the temps with SetCPU and temp monitor app.

Let us know if you do proceed with Artic Silver and how it impacts your phone.

Mike

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
skull one is prob the guy to ask.

serveitup911

Reaction score
Haha, sweet idea. Get some water, peltier, or liquid N2 cooling, and compile a custom 1.5 GHz kernel with cranked up voltage!

Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
alpine

alpine

Reaction score
I'm using set CPU, paid the coin because it's a slick proggy. It's just an idea.. I did search this forum and a few others and did not see anything on it. :)

OP
alpine

alpine

Reaction score
Thanks! Pm'd him..

It's just a thought.. Might allow the development of a higher speed kernel.

YoungVan

Reaction score
Artic silver is extreme overclocking.Does it work properly?

AtrusNex

Reaction score
It shouldn't pose any problem to do, but I don't imagine you'll see much benefit. Arctic Silver is essentially a amorphous thermal compound to give higher thermal conductivity between components and their heat sinks which are then usually cooled down by some active cooling system like fans or liquid cooling. Since phones use passive cooling methods, doing this would just speed up the time the small heat sinks on the droid reached thermal saturation and wouldn't really do anything to help them get rid of the heat. If the droid had a metal back plate to where th components were, instead of plastic, and you were really careful applying the compound you could see some improvement by creating a larger heat sink that it better exposed to ambient air, you might get some better cooling. It might be a cool project for someone willing to risk messing up their phone.

Another thing to think about is practicality. With computers and consoles, power consumption isn't really much of an issue since they get it right from a direct source. But phones have to think about battery life. With higher clock speeds you CPU increases the current traveling through the system by making transistors oscillate more. More current obviously means the battery will be depleted faster but it's not quite as simple as that.

Warning: Long boring rant ahead! Skip the next paragraph if you don't care.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The power dispersed through a resistive material follows a formua P=R*I^2 With P being the power lost as heat, R being the electrical resistance of the material, and I being the current running through the system. This means the more you overclock the efficiency drops exponentially. Semiconductor materials, which practically everything in a phone is made up of, are also notorious for having resistivities that are easily affected by heat. Which means as the device heats up the resistance of the components increase and you lose even more energy as heat.

The point being, that even if you can deal with heat dispersion somehow, you will still lose battery life exponentially compared to linearly overclocking the device. Generally, people only want performance up to a certain point until it starts seriously affecting their battery life. We see people increase clock speeds in CPUs whilst keeping their efficiency roughly the same by improving the manufacturing processes to produce smaller die technology (terms like 45nm chips) which allow you to charge the transistors while using less current and voltage on the chips. This reduces the amount of energy lost as heat.

All CPU's also have a maximum clock speed they can effectively run at a certain voltage. The high the voltage the faster the transistor can switch. These transistors need to be able to switch much faster than at least one clock cycle for a safety standpoint. If the processor can't switch it's transistors within a single clock cycle, the CPU starts to act strangely and the device will either run unexpectedly or not at all. When this happens you need to increase the voltage to makes the transistors transition faster. Eventually you'll either reach a point where the transistors can't physically transition that fast or, more likely, you'll reach the point at which the voltage exceeds what the chip can run without damage. But to get to the point 1.25 GHz is about as high as any of the OMAP 3430 can ever be expected to run at normal voltages. Anything higher than that and you'll have to increase the voltage for it to run correctly, which means even more power loss since Current(I) is equal to Voltage(V) divided by Resistance(R).

END RANT--------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short. Trying to overclock any higher than what most people have done will require extensive modification to the phone and kernel to run properly, and you'll probably have seriously pathetic battery life sustaining those clock speeds. Possibly less than an hour of battery life, since some people say they get 1-2 hours constantly running at 1.2 GHz. If you want to do it just because you can, then by all means go for it. But, if you're expecting the phone to be usable everyday like that, don't count on it.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
It shouldn't pose any problem to do, but I don't imagine you'll see much benefit. Arctic Silver is essentially a amorphous thermal compound to give higher thermal conductivity between components and their heat sinks which are then usually cooled down by some active cooling system like fans or liquid cooling. Since phones use passive cooling methods, doing this would just speed up the time the small heat sinks on the droid reached thermal saturation and wouldn't really do anything to help them get rid of the heat. If the droid had a metal back plate to where th components were, instead of plastic, and you were really careful applying the compound you could see some improvement by creating a larger heat sink that it better exposed to ambient air, you might get some better cooling. It might be a cool project for someone willing to risk messing up their phone.

Another thing to think about is practicality. With computers and consoles, power consumption isn't really much of an issue since they get it right from a direct source. But phones have to think about battery life. With higher clock speeds you CPU increases the current traveling through the system by making transistors oscillate more. More current obviously means the battery will be depleted faster but it's not quite as simple as that.

Warning: Long boring rant ahead! Skip the next paragraph if you don't care.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The power dispersed through a resistive material follows a formua P=R*I^2 With P being the power lost as heat, R being the electrical resistance of the material, and I being the current running through the system. This means the more you overclock the efficiency drops exponentially. Semiconductor materials, which practically everything in a phone is made up of, are also notorious for having resistivities that are easily affected by heat. Which means as the device heats up the resistance of the components increase and you lose even more energy as heat.

The point being, that even if you can deal with heat dispersion somehow, you will still lose battery life exponentially compared to linearly overclocking the device. Generally, people only want performance up to a certain point until it starts seriously affecting their battery life. We see people increase clock speeds in CPUs whilst keeping their efficiency roughly the same by improving the manufacturing processes to produce smaller die technology (terms like 45nm chips) which allow you to charge the transistors while using less current and voltage on the chips. This reduces the amount of energy lost as heat.

All CPU's also have a maximum clock speed they can effectively run at a certain voltage. The high the voltage the faster the transistor can switch. These transistors need to be able to switch much faster than at least one clock cycle for a safety standpoint. If the processor can't switch it's transistors within a single clock cycle, the CPU starts to act strangely and the device will either run unexpectedly or not at all. When this happens you need to increase the voltage to makes the transistors transition faster. Eventually you'll either reach a point where the transistors can't physically transition that fast or, more likely, you'll reach the point at which the voltage exceeds what the chip can run without damage. But to get to the point 1.25 GHz is about as high as any of the OMAP 3430 can ever be expected to run at normal voltages. Anything higher than that and you'll have to increase the voltage for it to run correctly, which means even more power loss since Current(I) is equal to Voltage(V) divided by Resistance(R).

END RANT--------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short. Trying to overclock any higher than what most people have done will require extensive modification to the phone and kernel to run properly, and you'll probably have seriously pathetic battery life sustaining those clock speeds. Possibly less than an hour of battery life, since some people say they get 1-2 hours constantly running at 1.2 GHz. If you want to do it just because you can, then by all means go for it. But, if you're expecting the phone to be usable everyday like that, don't count on it.

Wow...that was amazing. Thought I was pretty sharp til you did that...dammit lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

713King

Reaction score
whats next water cool our Droids? lmao j/p, i think using something that's not conductive like OCZ Freeze would be a better idea since you wont have to replace after so many months like Artic Silver. The phone does get hot to, so putting the OCZ freeze would be a good idea into making it cooler

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Lol, wow, I thought my phone runs at 1.2 ghz... im getting a good 10 hours or so out of my phone pending on my activities.... P3 kernal.... so i guess this means a higher than expected pathetic battery life. i want my phone at 2.0 ghz... if this means only 30 seconds then dang it rig my phone up, (id have the first 2.0 ghz smartphone :) i guess id need some more batteries)

**but seriously, I dont think doing this to phone is neccessary. Lol, if only we could make custom phones like we do Pc's. Then id say artic silver the crap out of it.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
I meant if you forced your CPU to run 1.2 GHz all the time. I imagine you're probably running it on demand and having your processor scale back your clock speed when not using it. Running 1.2 GHz all the time is a good way to fry your components as well since it will get very hot.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant if you forced your CPU to run 1.2 GHz all the time. I imagine you're probably running it on demand and having your processor scale back your clock speed when not using it. Running 1.2 GHz all the time is a good way to fry your components as well since it will get very hot.

Screw the components, the battery heat alone would break the phone lol. It would be like 300 degrees, well beyond the rated max.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. It does bring up the question of how people even ran the processor like that until the battery dies without the phone shutting off. Maybe the measured all the times the phone was on till it died lol.