SetCPU: To use or not to use with 11.26?

publicanimal

Reaction score
I've started to see some posts claiming better performance after uninstalling SetCPU. Since flashing 11.26 I've noticed higher temps and decreased battery life with the kernel I usually use (Chevy's 1.2 GHz ULV) so I've been flashing different kernels to deal with that (right now I'm using Chevy's 1.0 GHz ULV but I'm not sure if I'll settle on it).

If anyone has run the new build with and without SetCPU, can you comment on the results? Oh, and please spare me the "don't flash different kernels, just use the stock kernel" spiel. I like to tinker and I don't like P3 kernels.

Thanks.

Ozzie

Reaction score
It would be a much easier decision for me if I knew what the rom has for controlling the cpu and a way to see what it's doing.

Z

ZeroBarrier

The ROM clocks to the highest slot for the kernel installed, and uses on-demand governor. IMO, Android does the job better than SetCPU ever will, without having an app waste resources doing what the ROM already does.

Some people swear by profiles, but in reality it's all a placebo effect for them. Android already handles CPU scaling proficiently.

Logan3824

Reaction score
The ROM clocks to the highest slot for the kernel installed, and uses on-demand governor. IMO, Android does the job better than SetCPU ever will, without having an app waste resources doing what the ROM already does.

Some people swear by profiles, but in reality it's all a placebo effect for them. Android already handles CPU scaling proficiently.

I agree, after uninstalling setcpu my rom runs so much faster..Back in the day it was better before the devs started implementing the cpu control, but as of now, I just let the phone do what it does best.(being a smart phone ;)

OP
P

publicanimal

Reaction score

SetCPU has given me mixed results across different ROMs, and particularly across various builds of Miui. Somewhere around v5 I started to experience lag that I hadn't experienced before (I had felt I hadn't needed SetCPU w/ Miui since v2), and the lag disappeared once I started using SetCPU. I'm not sure it's always a case of placebo effect between using it or not using it.

I just uninstalled it and I'm going to see how that goes.

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

you know setcpu doesnt do any actual handling of the cpu itself right?

setcpu just echos values to the kernel and then the kernel uses those parameters to scale according to android. its just a tool it doesnt control anything though

EDIT: also the rom clocks to what the dev sets in the init.rc by default

Z

ZeroBarrier

I know, but SetCPU still uses resources when using profiles, as it has to echo those values every time a profile parameter is triggered.

And yes, you're right about init.rc, it's just common for the Dev to default it to the highest slot on the included kernel though, right?

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I know, but SetCPU still uses resources when using profiles, as it has to echo those values every time a profile parameter is triggered.

And yes, you're right about init.rc, it's just common for the Dev to default it to the highest slot on the included kernel though, right?

most devs usually default to 600 or 800 if you set it to the highest, you will be getting some angry posts from some ppl with dead batteries :p

Logan3824

Reaction score

most devs usually default to 600 or 800 if you set it to the highest, you will be getting some angry posts from some ppl with dead batteries :p

Well then if its defaulted at 800 then why would installing a 1200 kernel do anything? I'm saying that cause currently I'm getting low quadrant scores and I've installed a 1200 lfy slayhers...I also came from a clean wipe.

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Well then if its defaulted at 800 then why would installing a 1200 kernel do anything? I'm saying that cause currently I'm getting low quadrant scores and I've installed a 1200 lfy slayhers...I also came from a clean wipe.

because your not using setcpu lol to set it to scale to the higher in your case 1200mhz slot

PearlMikeJam

Reaction score
What line do I edit to set my kernel speed? I glanced quickly at init.rc, but could not pick out the line. I like to run at 800, and SetCPU causes lag for me on most ROMs.

hockinson

Reaction score
hey

I've not messed with any kernals at all since rooting my phone i just use setcpu. I have noticed since the new miui i do run a bit hotter ive been up to 128 f . ( when using hotspot or long downloads) Is it better to use a kernal ?
i have setcpu at 1100 mhz on performance thru the day set to save batt and use juice deffender at night and it uses not batt at all pretty much . when i take off performance during the day i get lag but on performance it runs great and fast. (This is running on droid 1)
If there is a better way can you tell me what and were to get .:icon_ banana:dancedroid

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've not messed with any kernals at all since rooting my phone i just use setcpu. I have noticed since the new miui i do run a bit hotter ive been up to 128 f . ( when using hotspot or long downloads) Is it better to use a kernal ?
i have setcpu at 1100 mhz on performance thru the day set to save batt and use juice deffender at night and it uses not batt at all pretty much . when i take off performance during the day i get lag but on performance it runs great and fast. (This is running on droid 1)
If there is a better way can you tell me what and were to get .:icon_ banana:dancedroid

performance governor is horrible for the battery, what it does is scale to the highest clock speed the whole time its on, use ondemand or interactive(if the kernel supports it) im surprised you make it through the day with any battery left.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm getting better results with set cpu on 11.26.1 than without it. Interactive slayer 1g #25 lfy kernel. Laggy as hell without set cpu.

Sent from moviestar droid