Trick to keep your battery cooler.

demon69120

Reaction score
First of all, I got the idea from Alldroid and decided to bring it here. It's a little trick that involves nothing but the battery door, and can take your battery temperature down A LOT. If you for some reason have a pretty warm battery, and want it to last longer try this. Great for people who are pulling off 1.2 GHz or even more (jelous... my Droid will crash at anything more than 1.1). The results for me were great for me, never been cooler.

Steps:

1.) Get some nailpolish remover, or acetone. Soak your battery door in this rubbing it for around 5 minutes. This should make the rubber finish start coming off! Pretty soon your battery cover should just be a piece of metal. Nothing else. If you don't have nailpolish remover or acetone, you can sand it off, but the results may be uglier and it's much harder.

2.) Cut out a piece of aluminum foil and fold it around until it's about 7 layers thick. Some people may want more or less. Take scissors, and cut it out into a square that fits on the inside of you're battery cover (so that if you glued it on it would cover up the inside of cover).

3.) Simply put the battery cover on with this guy under it. The rubber coating is an insulator so heat doesn't escape very well, but aluminum foil absorbs heat really well which then makes contact with the battery cover which now also conducts heat alright. Basically a little heat system. If it sticks out a little bit onto the camera section, it might even take like a tenth of a farenheit from the chipset inside... :)

It is very ugly. You can sand the cover into a brushed steel look which looks ok, but still it's ugly.

Some people are more limitied than others, but my dad works at a smelter as a chemist and we were able to briefly plate the battery door with copper. It matches the Droid's Trim well, and supposedly it helps conduct heat. Still kind of ugly, and in 99.9% of you guys can't coat your door with copper at home. I wonder if anyone can make a pure copper one. Also, I used pure silver foil (with aluminum around it because silver can scratch things unlike aluminum) instead of just folded aluminum foil because according to wikipedia, silver conducts heat better than copper and aluminum by a lot. Maybe someone can screw with thermal compounds

Please post results. I got almost a 10 celcius difference.. my battery got up to like 47 celcius before and it rarely gets to 38 now! If you want to do this, you might want to just buy a spare battery cover for $10 from ebay that way you have a regular cover whenever.

Yeah. It might be unnecessary. I like screwing around with my gadgets that's all, and it's proven that lower temps help the performance of a battery even if it's from 47 to 35 degrees. I wonder if we can find a real way to cool the chipset counter-acting the lifespan effects of overclocking.

Here's pics. Not mine... the only camera I have right now is on my droid :mad:
P.S. issues uploading them on this website

Last edited:

coupon

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Will have to buy one from ebay to mess around with. And its going under the seido case so looks arnt an issue

baniels

Reaction score
On a similar note, I've been toying with the idea of drilling some holes in my Seidio case at the areas which seem to get the hottest. I haven't done it yet, but this was the first place it seemed appropriate to mention the idea.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually think the door looks good after stripping to down to the metal. If only the Droid accents were that same color instead of gold. I have an extra battery door, so I will definitely give this a try.

I seem to remember that it is good to wear gloves when using nail polish remover, so keep that in mind if you want to try this.

stdesign

Reaction score
I think it looks cool, but the copper plating/door mod might look better. My Droid isn't o/c'd, but my battery gets pretty warm during a movie or long surfing sessions. I think you can still get copper sheet from some hobby shops... The harder grade, the better, but as thin as possible.

Grabraham

Reaction score
If you are going to try one on an ebayed cover might as well electroplate it wit copper at home ;)

[video=youtube;Co1LwPWfRHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co1LwPWfRHM]YouTube - Copper Plating[/video]

Detonation

Reaction score
I have 3 spare covers from when Verizon was "selling" them for free on their website a few months ago. Might have to try this, less for the heat dissipation and more for the sweet brushed steel back cover.

pierced_droid

Reaction score
First of all, I got the idea from Alldroid and decided to bring it here. It's a little trick that involves nothing but the battery door, and can take your battery temperature down A LOT. If you for some reason have a pretty warm battery, and want it to last longer try this. Great for people who are pulling off 1.2 GHz or even more (jelous... my Droid will crash at anything more than 1.1). The results for me were great for me, never been cooler.

Steps:

1.) Get some nailpolish remover, or acetone. Soak your battery door in this rubbing it for around 5 minutes. This should make the rubber finish start coming off! Pretty soon your battery cover should just be a piece of metal. Nothing else. If you don't have nailpolish remover or acetone, you can sand it off, but the results may be uglier and it's much harder.

2.) Cut out a piece of aluminum foil and fold it around until it's about 7 layers thick. Some people may want more or less. Take scissors, and cut it out into a square that fits on the inside of you're battery cover (so that if you glued it on it would cover up the inside of cover).

3.) Simply put the battery cover on with this guy under it. The rubber coating is an insulator so heat doesn't escape very well, but aluminum foil absorbs heat really well which then makes contact with the battery cover which now also conducts heat alright. Basically a little heat system. If it sticks out a little bit onto the camera section, it might even take like a tenth of a farenheit from the chipset inside... :)

It is very ugly. You can sand the cover into a brushed steel look which looks ok, but still it's ugly.

Some people are more limitied than others, but my dad works at a smelter as a chemist and we were able to briefly plate the battery door with copper. It matches the Droid's Trim well, and supposedly it helps conduct heat. Still kind of ugly, and in 99.9% of you guys can't coat your door with copper at home. I wonder if anyone can make a pure copper one. Also, I used pure silver foil (with aluminum around it because silver can scratch things unlike aluminum) instead of just folded aluminum foil because according to wikipedia, silver conducts heat better than copper and aluminum by a lot. Maybe someone can screw with thermal compounds

Please post results. I got almost a 10 celcius difference.. my battery got up to like 47 celcius before and it rarely gets to 38 now! If you want to do this, you might want to just buy a spare battery cover for $10 from ebay that way you have a regular cover whenever.

Yeah. It might be unnecessary. I like screwing around with my gadgets that's all, and it's proven that lower temps help the performance of a battery even if it's from 47 to 35 degrees. I wonder if we can find a real way to cool the chipset counter-acting the lifespan effects of overclocking.

Here's pics. Not mine... the only camera I have right now is on my droid :mad:
P.S. issues uploading them on this website

Psssst Take a pic of just the cover with the Droid.