Are we nexus fans too critical of carrier branding.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Looking at reviews from old phones I cant help but notice how we may have become critical of something minor. And I must admit I too have complained about the AT&T/Verizon branding of my nexus phones in the past. But looking at the G1, the first android phone, we see branding. And when I look at the nexus I remember the nexus one being an experimental device that the reason it did not have any branding was mainly because Google could not get carriers to take a risk on it. It worked on T-mobile because at the time T-mobile bands were the bands unlocked phones could work on. So are we holding the carrier feet to the fire over something that frankly was more to do with Google selling a phone carriers did not want to risk selling versus branding not being stamped on the phone for "pure google" reasons?

I cant help but wonder if multiple carriers got behind the nexus one would we still see nexus phones as we see them today?

edit: I stand corrected looks like you could buy the nexus one through T-mobile on contract at a subsidized price or pay full price for off contract.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Granted, I haven't had a Nexus phone since the gnex, but I don't think a carrier logo is a big deal at all on them. I'd be more concerned with carrier bloat apps, since the whole point is a vanilla android experience.

In response to the g1 video, I'm jealous of Josh from Android Authority. After I'd had the og droid for quite some time, I pulled my g1 out of the drawer to try and fire it up/see what pictures & things I had left on it. It was DOA. Tried it again over the years since, but no go. Didn't matter how long I left it plugged in.

I would love to be able to fire that thing up once in a while, if nothing else, for nostalgia's sake.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Personally I've never understood the whole disdain for carrier branding. I've always been proud to be a Verizon customer (despite their occasional idiotic business practices) and since I always put my device in a case, it's pretty much a non issue. IDK

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally I've never understood the whole disdain for carrier branding. I've always been proud to be a Verizon customer (despite their occasional idiotic business practices) and since I always put my device in a case, it's pretty much a non issue. IDK

S5 tap'n
For years I bought Verizon cases and covers because they had Verizon embedded on them.
Now signal is more important to me than any branding labeled on the device and the only time I notice anything carrier oriented is on the boot up animation.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Granted, I haven't had a Nexus phone since the gnex, but I don't think a carrier logo is a big deal at all on them. I'd be more concerned with carrier bloat apps, since the whole point is a vanilla android experience.

In response to the g1 video, I'm jealous of Josh from Android Authority. After I'd had the og droid for quite some time, I pulled my g1 out of the drawer to try and fire it up/see what pictures & things I had left on it. It was DOA. Tried it again over the years since, but no go. Didn't matter how long I left it plugged in.

I would love to be able to fire that thing up once in a while, if nothing else, for nostalgia's sake.

I still have my droid 2, thunderbolt, and Galaxy nexus. I may power them up and see if they can stand the test of time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I gave my og droid to my cousin, sold the droid 2 r2-d2, gave the droid x to a girl I worked with, sold the droid bionic.

I have the gnex & my gf has Mr s4.

I'm acutely not sure if the g1 is still around, or if I finally tossed it, knowing it was gone for good.

There no t-mobile here, so I'd only be able to use it as a weird, tiny wifi machine. Haha

I had to use the gnex as a backup a while ago when my s4 needed replacing. That was painful enough.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't care about branding. Although the Droid Turbo has none.... Only Verizon branding you see is a brief logo on boot up. Then most of their apps are disabled. So in the end it's a non-issue for me. But as one person used the new car/dealer sticker analogy, I get that. It's nice not yours and I shouldn't be a walking billboard. But in the end I can take the sticker and/or tag frame off myself just like most carrier branding can be hidden or removed as well. Non-issue all around.

Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
. Although the Droid Turbo has none.... Only Verizon branding you see is a brief logo on boot up.

Yea, I would call that brief, alright. I don't remember ever seeing it. I just rebooted and was ready to come on here and say "There's no logo on Boot"... but there it was. Super briefly. Never. Even. Saw. It. Before.

And supposedly the new 64GB Turbo's did get branding now...