Nexus 4 discussion

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Now that we know the new Nexus isn't coming to Verizon, I think we should discuss this.

Is this enough of a reason for you to switch away from Verizon and give up your unlimited data(if you have it)?
The lack of Lte, is it really that big of a deal?
How do you feel about pre paid plans?

For me I'm ready to switch once my contract is over in January. According to Android and Me, the Nexus 4 will have Hspa+42 (Nexus 4 will launch with HSPA+ 42, not 21 as originally listed | Android and Me), near Lte speed without the battery drain I'm all for it.

I wanna try out various pre paid carriers(AT&T,t-mobile, straight talk, etc...). I'm leaning towards t-mobiles $50 unlimited plan since I'll save some cash vs my curren plan. Yes I'll be losing my current unlimited data but my is pretty solid here at home so it's not that big of an issue.

How about you guys?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Verizon ruined it for themselves, they really didn't deserve a new Nexus and it happened. In the future there may be one, but I highly doubt it.

As an owner of the SGN, I am not in the least bit envious of the Nexus 4. And once we get 4.2, I think the SGN will be better just because it has LTE. I don't think a quadcore chip is necessary, sure the Nexus 4 will be a bit faster, but we got the faster data speed:p

For me, I'm gonna hang on with Verizon just because of their coverage. Their rates are getting ridiculous, but so are the rates of the other "big 3" of the mobile world.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Now that we know the new Nexus isn't coming to Verizon, I think we should discuss this.

Is this enough of a reason for you to switch away from Verizon and give up your unlimited data(if you have it)?
The lack of Lte, is it really that big of a deal?
How do you feel about pre paid plans?

For me I'm ready to switch once my contract is over in January. According to Android and Me, the Nexus 4 will have Hspa+42 (Nexus 4 will launch with HSPA+ 42, not 21 as originally listed | Android and Me), near Lte speed without the battery drain I'm all for it.

I wanna try out various pre paid carriers(AT&T,t-mobile, straight talk, etc...). I'm leaning towards t-mobiles $50 unlimited plan since I'll save some cash vs my curren plan. Yes I'll be losing my current unlimited data but my is pretty solid here at home so it's not that big of an issue.

How about you guys?

You can get a T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan that includes unlimited data (first 5 gigs @ '4G' speeds), unlimited text and 100 minutes of talk.

The $50 plan has unlimited minutes but only the first 100 megs are 4G.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You can get a T-Mobile prepaid $30 plan that includes unlimited data (first 5 gigs @ '4G' speeds), unlimited text and 100 minutes of talk.

The $50 plan has unlimited minutes but only the first 100 megs are 4G.

My buddy is on this plan (5 gig) with his GNote 2. Nice on the wallet that's for sure. Oh and the data speed on that thing was pretty darn fast.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
My buddy is on this plan (5 gig) with his GNote 2. Nice on the wallet that's for sure. Oh and the data speed on that thing was pretty darn fast.

I put '4G' in quotes because technically HSPA+ 42 isn't true 4G by the standards set.

I consistently pull in 30+ and send 17+ megabits on Verizon's network, but the speed comes at costs...both monetarily and in battery life.

I think this plan fits in quite nicely with the Nexus 4.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I put '4G' in quotes because technically HSPA+ 42 isn't true 4G by the standards set.

I consistently pull in 30+ and send 17+ megabits on Verizon's network, but the speed comes at costs...both monetarily and in battery life.

I think this plan fits in quite nicely with the Nexus 4.

Never gonna happen though, VZ is reaping the harvest that they sowed with last year's Galaxy Nexus.

MightyT01

Reaction score
How many read Matias Duarte's comments here?

Matias Duarte Talks Tablet UI in Jelly Bean, Lack of SD Card Slots in Nexus Devices – Droid Life

Most importantly his response to this question about the Nexus devices:

Why don’t Nexus devices have SD cards?
Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it’s just confusing for users.

If you’re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It’s just too complicated.
We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide what’s the right size for you. That’s simple and good for users.

I appreciate having only fixed amounts of memory, but 8GB on a Nexus 4 is a joke. So why make it? I don't appreciate Android users being characterized as dopes who can't handle "techy nonsense" like SD cards. It sounds to me he wants to dumb down the devices for the masses. This sells units and I understand this. However, I don't want my Nexus devices dumbed down to be on par with a crapple device. I always joke with friends and family that Apple makes a terrific product. I honestly believe they do. Most importantly it's easy to use, especially if you're ten years old. If you don't do it Apple's way then you're stuck with trying to find work arounds. I don't want any Nexus device to require a work around to do what I want it to do. Thankfully, you can get other Android devices, unlike Apple products.

The Nexus 4 starts off with 8GB of memory. This is going backwards. Hell, they just discontinued the 8GB version of the Nexus 7 because it's inadequate. I just bought the 32GB Nexus 7 and love it. I have always used most of the memory on my SD cards since my OG Droid. I just upgraded my Droid Razr Maxx with a 64 GB micro SD card and love the massive storage. I don't want the Nexus Android benchmark devices curbing this versatility for other manufacturers.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
How many read Matias Duarte's comments here?

Matias Duarte Talks Tablet UI in Jelly Bean, Lack of SD Card Slots in Nexus Devices – Droid Life

Most importantly his response to this question about the Nexus devices:

Why don’t Nexus devices have SD cards?
Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it’s just confusing for users.

If you’re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It’s just too complicated.
We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide what’s the right size for you. That’s simple and good for users.

I appreciate having only fixed amounts of memory, but 8GB on a Nexus 4 is a joke. So why make it? I don't appreciate Android users being characterized as dopes who can't handle "techy nonsense" like SD cards. It sounds to me he wants to dumb down the devices for the masses. This sells units and I understand this. However, I don't want my Nexus devices dumbed down to be on par with a crapple device. I always joke with friends and family that Apple makes a terrific product. I honestly believe they do. Most importantly it's easy to use, especially if you're ten years old. If you don't do it Apple's way then you're stuck with trying to find work arounds. I don't want any Nexus device to require a work around to do what I want it to do. Thankfully, you can get other Android devices, unlike Apple products.

The Nexus 4 starts off with 8GB of memory. This is going backwards. Hell, they just discontinued the 8GB version of the Nexus 7 because it's inadequate. I just bought the 32GB Nexus 7 and love it. I have always used most of the memory on my SD cards since my OG Droid. I just upgraded my Droid Razr Maxx with a 64 GB micro SD card and love the massive storage. I don't want the Nexus Android benchmark devices curbing this versatility for other manufacturers.

My comment on a different forum about this:

The non-removable battery is a negative, no SD card card is because the average user has issues actually finding their data (I have seen this occur over and over on forums and in my previous job).

The device should have a micro SD with no card installed upon purchase, there would still be issues but fewer and further between.