Anyone else worried..

islandak

Reaction score
Not worried at all

When the newer "flagship" level phones are released they will 100% beat the GN on specs. But that's the case with any phone. It seems like a new beast-phone is released every six months or so. What you're getting with the GN is the HUGE developer community and unlockable bootloader. Your phone's tech will (almost) always be eclipsed in short order, but the developers will keep the OS, features, and functions of an open device fresh.

My wife still has her OG Droid. The 256MB RAM is showing it's age, but she is running an over-clocked, memory managed, gingerbread-ed handset that can handle just about anything she would want to throw at it.

I expect to be very happy with my GN for the next two years.

PhishyKris

Reaction score
@catfisher...

not sure if it was mine that you saw, but I stated that last night. I am really excited to see what this phone will become. DINC and TB took a long time (stock) to become usable. GN is great out of the box. I don't know if I am going to tinker and leave it stock. I am at least going to see what 4.0.3 brings.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I could care less what phones are coming in a few months. Unless you're pissing out money and buy phones at full retail price 1-2x a year, it doesn't matter what is coming. Last time I checked I wasn't peeing out money, so I'm locked on a 2yr contract, and won't even be thinking about getting a new phone until I can upgrade at the discounted price.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like some of the post said, it either will or wont be obsolete depending on what you consider obsolete.

I wouldnt consider the Bionic, RAZR, Rezound obsolete when quad core phones come out too. I wouldnt consider the Galaxy S 2 obsolete. For folks like my kids mother.....she considers my Droid X1 amazing because of what she does with the phone. She does like my RAZR more tho..lol

Its all a matter of perspective. To some of us hardware makes it obsolete. I think the Droid 1 is there or pushing it. I consider my Droid X1 last gen hardware...even tho 1Ghz single core cpu's just came out last year for phones. Me personally total hardware package makes a phone obsolete. Lack of updates make a phone obsolete.

rbw62

Reaction score
Ain't worried! Don't give a hoot. There will always be a newer better one to top them all... So if you have to have the best, enjoy the limelight for the next few moments.
What can u do with ur phone that I cant?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

DHO

Reaction score
Battery technology doesn't support a processor with much more juice. I would not worry too much.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
There is always gonna be bigger, better and faster. But I think the Gnex will be relevant for a year or so. Look at the OG Droid. It is very long in the tooth but plenty of people still rock one. And development continued long after corporate support ended. Another thing to keep in mind too. And I bring this up because it comes up from time to time. The subject of quad core (and more) phones. Realize that ICS is the first version of Android optimized for dual core processors. How long after the first batch of quad core devices start appearing do you think it will be before Android catches up.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Battery technology doesn't support a processor with much more juice. I would not worry too much.

This is something we often overlook as well. Battery technology is outdated, there really isn't much more we can do with lithium batteries.

natezire71

Reaction score
The moment you bought this phone it became obsolete. Technology grows at such an exponential rate, you can't possibly have the greatest thing for more than a few weeks/months. It's life. Sure, there may be a quad-core phone early next year--but who needs all that power? Gotta be horrible for battery life. This phone has more than ample amount of power for the average user.

Not to bash on this phone, it's the best thing since sliced bread. DancingNexus

Reaction score
No.... this phone will be at the top of the list at least for the 2012 era. The nexus s just got ICS and is still a great phone. Nothing will touch this phone for 6 months and still even then it will be the first in the fleet for updates and dev support will blow all others out of the water, just look at the og.

Sent from Galaxy Nexy Sexy using DroidForums :)

i have to agree. i don't see anything else with annoying skins that cause lag and other issues beating the GN.

look at the rezound. it has 1.5ghz dual core processor, which is faster than the GN's, however it lags like crazy.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
i have to agree. i don't see anything else with annoying skins that cause lag and other issues beating the GN.

look at the rezound. it has 1.5ghz dual core processor, which is faster than the GN's, however it lags like crazy.

Good point. The rezound is such a piece of crap IMO. Laggy sense and hypeaudio have no appeal to me. I REALLY dont need a stupid EQ that caters to one genre of music which i personally consider garbage.

The only custom interface phone ive seen that doesnt lag one iota (smoother then the gnex actually) is the epic touch 4g.

Also good point on android catching up. Hadnt thought of that.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are the Q1 and Q2 phones and are they on verizon?

Should see some quad cores popping up Q1/Q2 - probably a couple on Verizon by Q2ish, but all rumors at this point. IMO Quad Core is pointless on a phone... right now.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is always gonna be bigger, better and faster. But I think the Gnex will be relevant for a year or so. Look at the OG Droid. It is very long in the tooth but plenty of people still rock one. And development continued long after corporate support ended. Another thing to keep in mind too. And I bring this up because it comes up from time to time. The subject of quad core (and more) phones. Realize that ICS is the first version of Android optimized for dual core processors. How long after the first batch of quad core devices start appearing do you think it will be before Android catches up.

You know, even then, the OG Droid just recently received a small OTA patch with a few security patches and other things... so it still hasn't completely been dropped by corporate! :)