Anyone else have a few worries?

R

RETG

I'll wait and see how the phone actually works. It might be pure Google, but the hardware is pure Samsung, and I had a fascinate for a few days and it could not pick up a decent call signal a few miles from the tower. I will be watching closely to see how the phone reception is on this phone. Hopefully, Samsung has built a better phone.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'll wait and see how the phone actually works. It might be pure Google, but the hardware is pure Samsung, and I had a fascinate for a few days and it could not pick up a decent call signal a few miles from the tower. I will be watching closely to see how the phone reception is on this phone. Hopefully, Samsung has built a better phone.

Each anti-Samsung post makes me question more and more if I will make the switch the the Nexus once available. I had zero complaints with the OG Droid until the phone was nearly two years old, and I attribute much of that to my sheer desire to have something new and I wanted to find issues with my Droid. In the four days that I have had the Razr, I have nothing to complain about, and I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I actually like this device. I have said it before in other threads, but it will take a lot for me to switch to the Nexus. Currently the biggest factors that continue drawing me to the Nexus are the larger screen and screen quality, camera shutter speed and quality, and ICS. However, even with those potential features, build quality and form will be a huge factor because in my opinion, the Razr is superb when it comes to size, build quality, and feel.

dustinslee

Reaction score
Each anti-Samsung post makes me question more and more if I will make the switch the the Nexus once available. I had zero complaints with the OG Droid until the phone was nearly two years old, and I attribute much of that to my sheer desire to have something new and I wanted to find issues with my Droid. In the four days that I have had the Razr, I have nothing to complain about, and I have been pleasantly surprised with how much I actually like this device. I have said it before in other threads, but it will take a lot for me to switch to the Nexus. Currently the biggest factors that continue drawing me to the Nexus are the larger screen and screen quality, camera shutter speed and quality, and ICS. However, even with those potential features, build quality and form will be a huge factor because in my opinion, the Razr is superb when it comes to size, build quality, and feel.

I agree well said! The razr is very sweet! And the teasing of the nexus is so dumb!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

alucard9114

Reaction score

My og droid is running ok i think it just does not have enough ram for Gingerbread may go back to a Froyo rom until i get the beast.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I had to swap 4 original Droids out until I got one that worked 100%, so lets not act like Motorola is infallible.

All manufacturers have their problems and since Samsung's Galaxy SII had the most sales of any Android phone this year, I'll take that as a good indicator of them improving their hardware. Sales obviously don't indicate direct improvement, but they do show that more people are giving Samsung a shot.

From two Nexus testers, I've heard nothing but good things about the device, hardware included. The only thing they both said was the speaker wasn't as loud as they'd hoped.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I had to swap 4 original Droids out until I got one that worked 100%, so lets not act like Motorola is infallible.

All manufacturers have their problems and since Samsung's Galaxy SII had the most sales of any Android phone this year, I'll take that as a good indicator of them improving their hardware. Sales obviously don't indicate direct improvement, but they do show that more people are giving Samsung a shot.

From two Nexus testers, I've heard nothing but good things about the device, hardware included. The only thing they both said was the speaker wasn't as loud as they'd hoped.

Touché. However, my Motorola experience has been infallible, so I stand by my assertion. Keep in mind that all I am saying is that it will take a healthy number of positive reviews and personal hands-on experience with the Nexus to pull me away from what is proving to be a nice device from Motorola. I'm hoping the Nexus is as-advertised and more. The ICS demonstration last month was a thing of beauty; the thought of a 4.65" contoured screen with no capacitive buttons gives me chills; and vanilla android lacking bloatware + updates from Google...Well, you get the idea.

Bottom line, I want to be stuck with a decision between two great phones because no matter what, we are all happy with great devices and the bar will be raised to that next level.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Couldn't a software update repair this?

Not if the speaker is already cranked to it's highest voltage. I don't know enough about the speaker to tell you honestly. They didn't say the speaker was bad, it just wasn't as loud as say, the OG was.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Not if the speaker is already cranked to it's highest voltage. I don't know enough about the speaker to tell you honestly. They didn't say the speaker was bad, it just wasn't as loud as say, the OG was.

The OG's speaker is like a loudspeaker compared to a lot of newer phones. I've had the DX, D2, and DPro, and none of their speakers were nearly as loud as the one on my OG.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
cant wait for this phone damnit....

i hate being patient.....

I hate being patient as well. That's why I'm not patient! Bought a Droid X to hold me over for a while. Then bought a Bionic to hold me over for a while. I will give patience this, it's less expensive! ;)

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
My og droid is running ok i think it just does not have enough ram for Gingerbread may go back to a Froyo rom until i get the beast.

Are you running Peter Alfonso's GB, I am on GBA 17 and moved everything that could run on SD on over and still have 71 meg left.

It runs fine until I load up angry birds, then I have to crank up the cpu setting to 1000 Mhz to get it to run smoothly otherwise I run it at 600 Mhz min -800 Mhz Max for best response and Battery life.

When I was at the hospital recently I didn't have a charger around while waiting for my brother get moved to the cicu and I under clocked at 250-600 just so I could leave it on to receive calls.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I'm pretty confident that the software and hardware will be good. I too am concerned about the plasticness...plasticity...whatever...all that stupid plastic that Sammy likes to use. I held the Charge for all of 3 seconds and knew that it felt cheap, just like a girl in a short dress standing on the corner of 10th and Fremont in Las Vegas. Might give you a quick thrill, but sure won't last. I didn't even consider the Charge based on that. I really hope the GN is better than that.

Hey at least the girl in the cheap dress didn't make you sign up for a two year marriage with a prenup that charges you twice as much if you leave her during that two years.:money:

Last edited:

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you running Peter Alfonso's GB, I am on GBA 17 and moved everything that could run on SD on over and still have 71 meg left.

It runs fine until I load up angry birds, then I have to crank up the cpu setting to 1000 Mhz to get it to run smoothly otherwise I run it at 600 Mhz min -800 Mhz Max for best response and Battery life.

When I was at the hospital recently I didn't have a charger around while waiting for my brother get moved to the cicu and I under clocked at 250-600 just so I could leave it on to receive calls.

He's talking about RAM, not storage. 256mb of RAM on the OG makes Gingerbread nearly unbearable.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate being patient as well. That's why I'm not patient! Bought a Droid X to hold me over for a while. Then bought a Bionic to hold me over for a while. I will give patience this, it's less expensive! ;)

Yeah, I couldn't wait either. I purchased a cheap (sub $100) like new Fascinate off eBay earlier this week to hold me over. If the Nexus drops soon, I'll just turn around and sell the Fascinate. I'm confident I can sell it for more than I paid for it, so it's a win-win for me.

Parter28

Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't wait either. I purchased a cheap (sub $100) like new Fascinate off eBay earlier this week to hold me over. If the Nexus drops soon, I'll just turn around and sell the Fascinate. I'm confident I can sell it for more than I paid for it, so it's a win-win for me.

The Fascinate at 1.5 GHz was one of the best experiences I've had w/ an Android device.