anyone else tired of cellphone hypocondria?

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I got my Gnex last night and after several attempts to activate was finally successful late last night so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. I'll report back on my findings. So far I like it but still not sure if it's faster than the Bionic.

I don't know why everyone thinks the galaxy nex is going to be so much faster than the droid bonic the only advantage it has a new operating system gpu acceleration ...when I set my droid bionic to 1.2 ghz it doesn't seem any faster as to when it's at the regular 1 ghz... only way to tell the overclock even took a effect is to run a benchmark.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aramos87

Reaction score
I had the Bionic and the Razr before I got the GN ( I admit I have a problem lol) and by far my favorite and best experience has been with the GNex!

The Bionic was a good phone I liked it better than the Razr for sure! But it just wasn't what I was expecting, I know everyone's expectations differ but I waited for that phone forever! So when it came out the way it did I was disappointed.

Now the Razr IMO was trash! The screen was way over saturated, it felt awkward in my hand/s and the no removable or extended battery was crippling!

And now with the Nexus, I am very satisfied! Great screen! Great Software! And huge dev community! I know there are bugs that need some TLC which they will get sooner than any other phone would, I waited forever to get an update on the Bionic before I finally just got a Razr, which was not OK with me! The day I bought the GN I turned on activated it and already had a needed update! Which was awesome! So for me Its the GNex all the way!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BOA

Reaction score
Two BIG reasons why I bought the Gnex. 1. ICS and 2. Dev community.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone thinks the galaxy nex is going to be so much faster than the droid bonic the only advantage it has a new operating system gpu acceleration ...when I set my droid bionic to 1.2 ghz it doesn't seem any faster as to when it's at the regular 1 ghz... only way to tell the overclock even took a effect is to run a benchmark.

2 reasons. 1) Vanilla android. A device that is not weighed down by a custom ui (like blur, sense, touchwiz) that is constantly running services in the background and hogging resources will not be a fast as a device with out it.

2) ICS it just hands down is better in so many ways. The browser is better, you can control what is running, how much to run (ie you can do like the iphone and limit the number of apps processing in background). The only Achilles heel is the reception and I am beginning to think the majority of the issues seem to be that vzw is having a hard time keeping their lte up because when lte is up and running I am hold 4g fine. But when I look and my phone isnt holding a signal I thinks its the phone only to learn vzw is having another outage.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

You also have to realize the GPU is overclocked on the Nexus as well, by nearly double. As Pc747 mentioned, ICS without blur/sense over the top will always run smoother, it simply uses less resources. You're right that we're at a plateau of CPU speeds, where the software doesn't need much over 1Ghz, but because of the way the Nexus utilizes the software it should remain smoother than other devices that end up with ICS.

I still doubt that the Bionic will ever receive ICS, they've done so many updates to that phone with Gingerbread, just imagine how long it would take them to make the same adjustments to ICS with motoblur so that you don't end up with the Bionic having issues again. They said 4-6 months, but I'd wager it may be a bit more than that and if it is, then the Bionic will be fairly dated by then.

Don't take this as the Bionic is a "bad phone", because it's not, they've improved it quite a bit with software updates, but there lies the problem. They've been updating it quite a bit with Gingerbread, now they'll have to start all over with ICS.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
You also have to realize the GPU is overclocked on the Nexus as well, by nearly double. As Pc747 mentioned, ICS without blur/sense over the top will always run smoother, it simply uses less resources. You're right that we're at a plateau of CPU speeds, where the software doesn't need much over 1Ghz, but because of the way the Nexus utilizes the software it should remain smoother than other devices that end up with ICS.

I still doubt that the Bionic will ever receive ICS, they've done so many updates to that phone with Gingerbread, just imagine how long it would take them to make the same adjustments to ICS with motoblur so that you don't end up with the Bionic having issues again. They said 4-6 months, but I'd wager it may be a bit more than that and if it is, then the Bionic will be fairly dated by then.

Don't take this as the Bionic is a "bad phone", because it's not, they've improved it quite a bit with software updates, but there lies the problem. They've been updating it quite a bit with Gingerbread, now they'll have to start all over with ICS.

Uhm where do you get this info? Gpu isnt increased by double. Not even close...its a less than 100mhz increase and motorola and verizon have confirmed ics port to bionic. Idk what else u said. Because i stopped reading after i read the crazy misinformation u stated first. Ti4430 304mhz for bionic and playbook. 384mhz for ti4460

Here are the specs:

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-texas-instruments-omap-4430-and-vs-4460/

.. it isnt dbl the gpu speed and bionic will get ics. Considering the 4430 and the 4460 are almost identical ... an ics integration for bionic and rzr should be cake after they blur it. DO RESEARCH PEOPLE. MISINFORMATION HURTS OUR COMMUNITY.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uhm where do you get this info? Gpu isnt increased by double. Not even close...its a less than 100mhz increase and motorola and verizon have confirmed ics port to bionic. Idk what else u said. Because i stopped reading after i read the crazy misinformation u stated first. Ti4430 304mhz for bionic and playbook. 384mhz for ti4460

Here are the specs:

Difference Between Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 and 4460 | Difference Between

.. it isnt dbl the gpu speed and bionic will get ics. Considering the 4430 and the 4460 are almost identical ... an ics integration for bionic and rzr should be cake after they blur it. DO RESEARCH PEOPLE. MISINFORMATION HURTS OUR COMMUNITY.

Sorry I misspoke, meant nearly 50% clock increase. The 4430 and 4460 aren't "almost identical", they're actually the same chip. The 4460 was just capable of reaching 1.5ghz at the standard safe voltage as the 4430 was only capable at 1ghz.

They're just higher binned chips, which really wasn't my main point, but since you didn't read the rest of my post I can understand why you focused on the unimportant part.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Sorry I misspoke, meant nearly 50% clock increase. The 4430 and 4460 aren't "almost identical", they're actually the same chip. The 4460 was just capable of reaching 1.5ghz at the standard safe voltage as the 4430 was only capable at 1.2ghz.

They're just higher binned chips, which really wasn't my main point, but since you didn't read the rest of my post I can understand why you focused on the unimportant part.

U obviously didnt even read the article. A 50% overclock would be 152mhz faster than bionics 304mhz... nex at 384mhz isnt even close .. and i know they are exactly the same I've argued this point many times but no 1 seems to believe me! Look at any of my overclocking posts.. Just read man. Theoretically this means a ti4430 cpu could overclock higher than a ti4460. If voltage wasnt an issue. And youre jut cementing even further my points that ics will be easiest to "port" to bionic and rzr cuz they are the same thing. Chipset wise.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Processors have barely anything to do with how ICS will work on the Bionic. The Bionic had major issues when it was released, so it's been getting software updates to correct issues and also correct radio issues. All those updates will have to be reworked once ICS is installed on the device. It will essentially start back at release once they start working on reworking ICS for the Bionic with motoblur.

Saying the 4430 can OC higher than the 4460 is just a lie. The entire reason the 4460 is named the 4460 is because it can reach the same clocks as the 4430 with lower voltage, allowing it's voltages to be increased to reach higher clocks while staying within optimal/safe range.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
now there's hair splitting phone hypochondria about processors in my thread! :icon_eek:

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
2 reasons. 1) Vanilla android. A device that is not weighed down by a custom ui (like blur, sense, touchwiz) that is constantly running services in the background and hogging resources will not be a fast as a device with out it.

2) ICS it just hands down is better in so many ways. The browser is better, you can control what is running, how much to run (ie you can do like the iphone and limit the number of apps processing in background). The only Achilles heel is the reception and I am beginning to think the majority of the issues seem to be that vzw is having a hard time keeping their lte up because when lte is up and running I am hold 4g fine. But when I look and my phone isnt holding a signal I thinks its the phone only to learn vzw is having another outage.

my buddy's bionic has the exact same signal drop in another part of the country at the same time as my GN. :D

shastrich2005

Reaction score
I think it comes down to luck of the draw. My Droid 2 was horrible!! Replaced 5 times in 4 months. I then went to a Samsung Charge which I had ZERO issues with. My brother bought the phone from me and it still has ZERO issues. I've had my Gnex since the 15th and have had no issues so far (knock on wood). Yes I do get less of a wifi signal (but notice no difference in performance). I've had zero "shut downs" and my battery consistantly lasts over 17 hours everyday. I think every phone has ones that will have quirks, no matter which phone you buy. For me, I love my Gnex and hope I continue to have good luck with mine.

Insidious

Reaction score
:icon_eek:

I am :b. Even though I love the hell out of cell phones, I find that it's quite a viscous circle. I will be getting a Nexus, but I know I will not be 100 percent happy because there are features of both the RAZR and Rezound that I like as well.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

proangler

Reaction score
Say what u want. Im looking at 1 frikin 4g bar right now. Same spot in my house always full bars with the bolt and charge.