Anyone else get this message?

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Yeah, I got it the other day for the first time. Not sure why... didn't do anything different that day than any day for nearly the past 7 months....

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmmm... I got this as well for the first time on my Rezound after updating to ICS and rebooting, but I used to get this on every reboot of my Samsung Stratosphere, when I asked about it then they just said it was VZW/Google legal thing and unless rooted or custom ROM you just had to live with it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The razr also gets a very similar warning everytime you activate stand alone GPS. Razr's have had stand alone GPS from the beginning so the warning has always been there. The rezound just got the stand alone GPS with ICS. This is a very nice addition for rezound owners because you now do not have to use your data when using navigation. Your other GPS services were "controlled" by google and Verizon. This one is not, therefore the warning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Last edited:

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are three services that can track your location: Google, Verizon and your standalone GPS. The message is just letting you know that some apps take your position are report it back to their office. Most are harmless and are trying to help you find something close by. Like if you use Google and hit the restaurant button, it will show you the closest restaurants based on where you are at that time. But some, less than honroable third party apps, use your location for other reasons (I'm not a hacker so I don't know what they might be). VZW is providing a cleansing warning that you need to ensure that when your phone reports your position, it is because you want it to. Usually, I turn on google, turn off Verizon and toggle GPS when I need it. When the message came up I hit never warn. I also hardly ever download apps outside of the Play Store. Hope that helps.