New Phone = New Accessories

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Not the cable, there's also data connectors in the chargers too.. if you hack a car charger open you can solder the two connectors together and then it'll charge as AC as well. I assume the normal AC chargers already have those connectors soldered or shorted in some way. I did a lot of research on this when I was looking for my car setup after VZW and Samsung f-ed up the car dock.

Snoking

Reaction score
Not the cable, there's also data connectors in the chargers too.. if you hack a car charger open you can solder the two connectors together and then it'll charge as ACTIVE as well. I assume the normal AC chargers already have those connectors soldered or shorted in some way. I did a lot of research on this when I was looking for my car setup after VZW and Samsung f-ed up the car dock.

The phone charges from a 5v DC source via input on the micro (sorry I called it a mini usb earlier) usb port not an AC source. A car charger steps 12-16v DC down to 5v DC. A wall wart changes 120v AC to 5v DC.

Pin 1 Vcc (5v DC)
Pin 2 Data -
Pin 3 Data +
Pin 4 ID (n/c, GND or device presence indicator)
Pin 5 GND

Connecting data - to data + activates DC charging mode. Current control! You do not want to do that in the cable because if you accidently plug that cable into your PC you can fry the USB port. All standard AC chargers should do this automatically, not sure about DC chargers. Phone indicates this as AC charging mode. They suggest a 200 ohm resistor to short with. Googling "differences between micro USB charging mode and DC charging
Mode" turned up a lot of info.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Snoking

Reaction score
You think maybe the engineers maybe know something here that the average person does not know? Wall warts charge at Max of around 700ma and USB is normally limited to 500ma. Are the chips in car chargers only good for the lower amount? Or do they limit current to reduce heat as you are using the phone with Bluetooth and/or navigation. I have had one case of overheated lights flashing while surfing on 4g while charging with wall wart.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
How was I supposed to know you were an engineer? You obviously know your stuff, so thank you for explaining this to me. All I know about this matter is what I read on other forums when I was trying to figure out my car set up, so clearly they don't know their stuff either.

OP
kcook323

kcook323

Reaction score
So.....for people like me, what does this all mean? LOL

Sent from my HTC Rezound using DroidForums

Snoking

Reaction score
This has been an interesting learning exercise. I had noticed that while in the truck my Rezound charged slower than the wall wart. It is normally bluetoothed to a visor Bluetooth unit. So that radio is on. If it is in 4g mode the that radio and the CDMA radio are both on. Lots of current draw. Turn up the charger to make up the difference and you are turning up heat also. I think they had a reason.

That said, if one just wants a faster car charger and it not doing anything else but charging the phone, then having a modified 12v adapter makes sense as long as one manages the situation and is aware of the down sides. I believe they did not trust people to do that, so they built in the limitations.

I BTW spent a working current in electronics and computer network design.

Natey2

Reaction score
Wall warts charge at Max of around 700ma and USB is normally limited to 500ma. Are the chips in car chargers only good for the lower amount? Or do they limit current to reduce heat as you are using the phone with Bluetooth and/or navigation. I have had one case of overheated lights flashing while surfing on 4g while charging with wall wart.

Android logs the charging current used: see http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1312534

There are many unsuitable chargers on sale out there. Personally, I'd only buy a battery and charger from the same manufacturer as my device because I value my device and battery. So, Motorola, in my case.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
So if I have a charge-only cable and a 1A USB charge port for my car, and the phone sees it as AC charge, is this going to kill my phone any faster than plugging into my AC charger at home? I only use it in my car if my battery is below 40% and I'm using 4G navigation, so it doesn't get plugged in all that often.

Natey2

Reaction score
Heat ultimately kills batteries and electronics, slowly. How hot does your battery get?
Also, consider fluctuations in the supply.
The home wall outlet has pretty steady output. What happens in a car if you flash the high beam, or turn on the air conditioner, or use the power windows/sunroof? Can the car cigarette lighter port regulate the surge? Can the device/charger that is connected to it deal with it if the car doesn't?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Snoking

Reaction score
Out of the three micro USB charging cables in my truck two do USB charging and one does AC charging. The AC one is a mini USB with an adapter to micro USB. Might be a clue in that fact. Have not yet checked the charge cables in the Buick yet!

I have about a zillion chargers around the house, trailer, boat and two vehicles. Kindle charger does "charging (AC) "!

Chris

Maverick0984

Reaction score
The phone circuitry should limit "too much" current on its own. That shouldn't really be an issue. As stated by others, heat is the only real thing you should be concerned about. Even then, phones I have had in the past, not necessary my current Galaxy Nexus, have shut off their charging capability when they have gotten too warm. I noticed this on my Original Droid and Droid 3.

(Also an engineer btw)

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Heat is the limiting factor when charging, place said device in a cool place I.e. in front of a air conditioning vent and it will charge faster. All wall chargers are standardized by the GSMA protocol inactivated by them (and enforced by the state of California as of January 1 2012) car chargers and "El cheapo" wall charge will obviously skirt the standard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums