New Phone = New Accessories

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by kcook323, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kcook323

kcook323 New Member

With my original Droid I had a car charger, windshield mount, and docking station. I'm indecisive on what I want now for my new phone. I'm so bad at making decisions. I got the purple silicon case when I ordered my phone. I could kick myself for not getting screen protectors and a car charger. I like the idea of the Otterbox, but just wish they had more color choices besides black.

What do you have or are you planning on getting for your phone?

Kendra
  2. Snoking

Snoking Member

I have a checkerboard gel case. They come in a lot of difference colors. Got it at the Mesa, Az flea market for 8 bucks. 4.95 for a screen protector. I think Amazon has the cases. Chris

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  3. WallyIAm

WallyIAm Member

The car charger from your OG Droid should work on your Rezound. It looks different from your HTC plug but will work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  4. Lenagainster

Lenagainster New Member

I got the silicone case with my Rezound and it works great. It won't slide out of my hand and I haven't dropped the phone yet in five months. As far as a "car dock", I'd suggest just getting a generic holder that squeezes the phone at the sides, being sure that the charging port is clear. You can put the phone most anywhere in the vehicle, it does not have to be against the windshield to get a good GPS signal for providing directions.
    1 person likes this.
  5. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

The car "dock" that I have slots into my now defunct CD player and holds on for dear life. I love the thing.
    2 people like this.
  6. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

I don't have a Rezound, but I recommend just getting a universal car mount. That way you save yourself some money whenever you upgrade. Also, I suggest getting a charge-only USB cable and a cigarette-lighter USB charge port that puts out like 1A. That way your phone charges like it's on an AC adapter instead of the slower, less powerful USB charge.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kcook323

kcook323 New Member

Thanks! I never even thought to check. My home charger works as well, so I can at least put that money into a car mount/or dock.
  8. kcook323

kcook323 New Member

Do you have a link to something like this? I'm wondering if that is what I have now? My Droid charger plugs into the "cigarette lighter" port (hehe, isn't that funny? I haven't thought about those ports being called that in years!).

I have been looking at Universal Mounts. I found two at Walmart, one is a windshield mount, and the other is a vent mount.

Kendra
  9. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

This is the mount I have: Ppyple Smartphone Car Dashboard Mount | Overstock.com
    The base is sticky and can either suction cup mount to the windshield or your dashboard. I have mine on the windshield and it's very solid.

The charge-only USB cable: Amazon.com: Naztech Micro USB Charging Cable - BlackBerry, Cal-Comp, HTC, LG, Samsung, Nokia, and Sony Ericsson: Cell Phones & Accessories
    It's like 4 feet long so it can reach most places in your car.

USB charging adapter: Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro: MP3 Players & Accessories
    It's a low profile one, so it won't stick out half a mile from your port, plus it can charge two devices at once. I bought two of the charge cables in case a passenger wants to charge too.

You would definitely be able to use your Droid's car charger with the Rezound. I can't remember what kind of power it puts out - when you connect it to your Rezound does it say USB or AC charging in your battery stats?
    1 person likes this.
  10. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

I bought one of those Griffin chargers and it didn't work. Heck, I couldn't even tell it had made all the contacts(no indicator light)
  11. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Member

12. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

*shrugs* Mine works. Maybe you got a defective one, or it just doesn't fit right in your port.
  13. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

Keep in mind though, that I believe those micro USB cables are data enabled. That means that they'll charge the phone as USB, not AC. A charge only cable (one that doesn't do data transfer) will charge your phone faster, which is good if you're in the car using 4G + music or navigation with the screen on.
  14. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 Member

Fair enough, I guess I am used to my FFC option on my Galaxy Nexus which does that for me.

I'd much rather do it this way then have some cables that are charging only and some that aren't. You know you're going to grab one some day thinking it does data and it doesn't.
  15. Snoking

Snoking Member

I believe it more the source you are plugged into with the USB cable than the cable. The OEM mini USB to USB is a data enabled cable that also charges the phone. If you use that cable to charge from a source other then the OEM AC to USB wall wart, you become dependent on the current ability of the device. USB ports on laptops are current limited to preserve the laptop's battery and not the best charging source along with cheap AC or 12v to USB charging adapters. I use a 4' USB extension that I use sometimes so that I can charge and use the phone at the same. I know it would be better to get an AC extension cord. Chris

16. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

Not the cable, there's also data connectors in the chargers too.. if you hack a car charger open you can solder the two connectors together and then it'll charge as AC as well. I assume the normal AC chargers already have those connectors soldered or shorted in some way. I did a lot of research on this when I was looking for my car setup after VZW and Samsung f-ed up the car dock.
  17. Snoking

Snoking Member

The phone charges from a 5v DC source via input on the micro (sorry I called it a mini usb earlier) usb port not an AC source. A car charger steps 12-16v DC down to 5v DC. A wall wart changes 120v AC to 5v DC.

Pin 1 Vcc (5v DC)
    Pin 2 Data -
    Pin 3 Data +
    Pin 4 ID (n/c, GND or device presence indicator)
    Pin 5 GND

Connecting data - to data + activates DC charging mode. Current control! You do not want to do that in the cable because if you accidently plug that cable into your PC you can fry the USB port. All standard AC chargers should do this automatically, not sure about DC chargers. Phone indicates this as AC charging mode. They suggest a 200 ohm resistor to short with. Googling "differences between micro USB charging mode and DC charging
    Mode" turned up a lot of info.

1 person likes this.
  18. Snoking

Snoking Member

You think maybe the engineers maybe know something here that the average person does not know? Wall warts charge at Max of around 700ma and USB is normally limited to 500ma. Are the chips in car chargers only good for the lower amount? Or do they limit current to reduce heat as you are using the phone with Bluetooth and/or navigation. I have had one case of overheated lights flashing while surfing on 4g while charging with wall wart.

19. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n New Member

How was I supposed to know you were an engineer? You obviously know your stuff, so thank you for explaining this to me. All I know about this matter is what I read on other forums when I was trying to figure out my car set up, so clearly they don't know their stuff either.
  20. kcook323

kcook323 New Member

So.....for people like me, what does this all mean? LOL

Sent from my HTC Rezound using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

htc rezound data cable error too much current

moto x phone charger in mesa az

what kind of charger does the htc rezound use