Any reason why it seems Verizon gets phones Last?

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
My theory is that there are more cellular networks using GSM rather than CDMA. Verizon is only the biggest in the US. Europe uses GSM.

Yeah Ive considered that, but that doesnt explain Sprint which is also CDMA.

Perception. Every carrier forum out there has people complaining about not getting the latest devices. They can't all not be getting the latest, obviously.

Maybe to a degree, but with Verizon its a proven fact that they get the phones last or not at all. All you have to do is look at the Evo, we just got a TB. Atrix, were getting the Bionic...someday, BBs? How about the Torch, Style and the Bold which came out on Sprint first as well. Thats just off of the top of my head.

What I'm saying is the phone manufacturers will target networks with the most market penetration. So back in the in the 3G days, there were more GSM networks than CDMA so they develop phones for those networks first.

Today with 4G, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. all came out with their WiMAX and HSPA+ networks first. Verizon were the last ones to come out with their LTE network. You can't be surprised that Verizon is the last to get the latest 4G phones developed for it.

vatothe0

Reaction score
My theory is that there are more cellular networks using GSM rather than CDMA. Verizon is only the biggest in the US. Europe uses GSM.

Yeah Ive considered that, but that doesnt explain Sprint which is also CDMA.

Perception. Every carrier forum out there has people complaining about not getting the latest devices. They can't all not be getting the latest, obviously.

Maybe to a degree, but with Verizon its a proven fact that they get the phones last or not at all. All you have to do is look at the Evo, we just got a TB. Atrix, were getting the Bionic...someday, BBs? How about the Torch, Style and the Bold which came out on Sprint first as well. Thats just off of the top of my head.

Yeah, they were the last with the Moto Droid, BB Storm, HTC Incredible, Xoom, and iPad2 right?

Sent from my DROIDX

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To answer the reason is because control. Vzw wants to control what is on their network. Most oems will not limit its features when they are trying to release a revolutonary device. Htc is known for allowing its devices to be able to update through ruu by downloading file.and installing through sync. Verizon'S main customer base are business customers. Most business customers dont have time or the want to have to find files and download drivers to update so vzw does it all for them. Control isnt all that bad and people rely on vzw to basically take care of the little things. I like that i can call vzw and say i think my phone is messed up and they send me a new one and take care of the rest. You have to think outside of the android community and vzw is putting in place the ability to handle the details because no one want to pay top dollar to a carrier and not expect that. Like every one else i want new devices but it seems by delaying vzw can improve on some issues. The iphone 4 was known for antenna issues and vzw version changed the location of the gap. I am.sure we will notice some improvements with the tbolt ovr the evo.