1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Any reason why it seems Verizon gets phones Last?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by loki993, Apr 12, 2011.

1. loki993

loki993 New Member

Really. They're the biggest carrier, you would think they have to pick of them. However its always the same story. The newest phone comes out and it goes somewhere else. Verizon got the Droid first right? Everything else not so much.

Lets see:
    Evo Sprint, 8 months later we get one, albeit a much better updated version, but still.
    Atrix Att
    LG Optimus Phones not even sure about those Tmobile maybe
    EVO 3d sprint
    Samsumg GX2
    Most recently the HTC sensation which I saw one thing say T mobile again.
    etc etc

I mean we just got our first 4g phone and they're about to release the EVO 3d on sprint basically a dual core version of the TB, but better in every way.

I know about the whole waiting for the next new thing, but it just seems like the device on Verizon are always 6 months to a year off of everyone else. It would be a big deal if we got equivalent devices, but we don't usually.
  2. BGKris

BGKris New Member

Yeah I'm bummed the Sensation isn't coming to Verizon. Fail!!! :icon_evil:
  3. z96Cobra

z96Cobra Member

It takes Verizon engineers a few months to cripple each new phone...
  4. BGKris

BGKris New Member

hahah exactly!
  5. freezyfreaky

freezyfreaky New Member

My theory is that there are more cellular networks using GSM rather than CDMA. Verizon is only the biggest in the US. Europe uses GSM.
  6. veedubsky

veedubsky New Member

Yea that's why it takes them longer to design and engineer also with VZW metaphorically looking over their shoulder they have to do this that and another just to have VZW consider taking a look their way.
    -Dubsky

Sent from my secret shoe phone.
  7. yahwarrior

yahwarrior New Member

If Verizon had the best Androids(EVO 3d) they wouldn't be able to sell any Iphones.
  8. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Come on, that argument might have been valid before the smartphones and android phones came out. Other than things the manufacturers have done, tell me about the lockdowns that are now occurring that VZW is behind. Gone are the days that everyone had the same menu on their phone, long gone is the VZNavigator only allowed, gone are the days that only aGPS was available because true GPS was crippled.
  9. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Cute, but no. Please play again later. :D
  10. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Just look at all the bloat they add to it. It takes time to wire it in there how they have it where the only way to remove is with root.

Reason that vzw is the last to get phones: the company doesnt agree to vzw's terms to host their phone, easy as that. Thats also why we probably wont see another true google experience phone on vzw.
  11. Vulcan1600

The bloatware is not crippling a device. Come on, I gave some valid "crippling" in the past, I want to hear what's "cripplied" on the android phones. I can tell you with AT&T they're not allowing non-market apps to work on their androids, that's crippling. Where's the VZW crippling of our devices.
  12. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Bloatware cripples it when it helps drain your battery even faster or when it causes your phone to lag or freeze. +1 on the at&t crap, i couldnt do it. I use TiBu too much and like having all of my data saved.
  13. Vulcan1600

For as much as I dislike bloatware on my TB, I don't think the intent was to purposely cause battery drainage. If I want Blockbuster app, I'll get it from the app store, I agree. As for Titanium Backup, I've had it since my OG Droid rooted in the end of 2009. It's a must when you root your phone.
  14. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Perception. Every carrier forum out there has people complaining about not getting the latest devices. They can't all not be getting the latest, obviously.
  15. loki993

loki993 New Member

Yeah Ive considered that, but that doesnt explain Sprint which is also CDMA.

Maybe to a degree, but with Verizon its a proven fact that they get the phones last or not at all. All you have to do is look at the Evo, we just got a TB. Atrix, were getting the Bionic...someday, BBs? How about the Torch, Style and the Bold which came out on Sprint first as well. Thats just off of the top of my head.
  16. freezyfreaky

freezyfreaky New Member

What I'm saying is the phone manufacturers will target networks with the most market penetration. So back in the in the 3G days, there were more GSM networks than CDMA so they develop phones for those networks first.

Today with 4G, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. all came out with their WiMAX and HSPA+ networks first. Verizon were the last ones to come out with their LTE network. You can't be surprised that Verizon is the last to get the latest 4G phones developed for it.
  17. vatothe0

vatothe0 New Member

Yeah, they were the last with the Moto Droid, BB Storm, HTC Incredible, Xoom, and iPad2 right?

Sent from my DROIDX
  18. pc747

pc747 DF Admin Staff Member

To answer the reason is because control. Vzw wants to control what is on their network. Most oems will not limit its features when they are trying to release a revolutonary device. Htc is known for allowing its devices to be able to update through ruu by downloading file.and installing through sync. Verizon'S main customer base are business customers. Most business customers dont have time or the want to have to find files and download drivers to update so vzw does it all for them. Control isnt all that bad and people rely on vzw to basically take care of the little things. I like that i can call vzw and say i think my phone is messed up and they send me a new one and take care of the rest. You have to think outside of the android community and vzw is putting in place the ability to handle the details because no one want to pay top dollar to a carrier and not expect that. Like every one else i want new devices but it seems by delaying vzw can improve on some issues. The iphone 4 was known for antenna issues and vzw version changed the location of the gap. I am.sure we will notice some improvements with the tbolt ovr the evo.
  19. Robdiesel

Robdiesel New Member

Lol nice

Sent from my DROIDX
Search tags for this page
does verizon get phones last
verizon always last getting new phones
verizon always last to get phones
verizon gets phones last
verizon gets phones last why
why does verizon always gets last place in updates

why does verizon get phones last